[puredyne] Problems booting Live Distro

Elmer Kilred Elmer Kilred

[puredyne] Problems booting Live Distro

Dear Puredyne crafters,

I have a 9.11 version of Purdyne i386 & i686 (86_64) and for some reason the boot for both versions is asking me for a challenge and password. I type in; "lintian" and then "live" and then it does not boot, but goes to; "(~) % _" Above it mentions something about Ubuntu and no warranty.

I can get into some sort of root by typing; "sudo su" but I have no idea of how to get this thing to remember that it is a live CD and boot.

This is a new used computer I own.

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?brand=5000004&lndocid=MIGR-58662

(It was used to design aircraft... 747's and things of that nature.)
Windows XP pro works.
Windows XP pro 64 bit works

Puredyne live works great on all my other computers. Starts right up. The 383 works almost flawlessly on both my laptops. 686 does nothing.

The 383 version of puredyne is recognized as 686 on the workstation. Both versins react identical. It identifies the computer as an 86_64.

I'm not too sure what to do at this point yet to get it to boot... Maybe you could  toss some suggestions my way to see if we can get it to boot...

Thanks,
Elmer

Claude Heiland-Allen-2 Claude Heiland-Allen-2

Re: [puredyne] Problems booting Live Distro

On 19/05/11 18:31, Elmer Kilred wrote:
> Dear Puredyne crafters,
>
> I have a 9.11 version of Purdyne i386&  i686 (86_64) and for some reason the boot for both versions is asking me for a challenge and password. I type in; "lintian" and then "live" and then it does not boot, but goes to; "(~) % _" Above it mentions something about Ubuntu and no warranty.

Ok, that means it booted and you logged in after the graphical windowing
system "X" failed to start for some reason.  You can see if there are
any errors in the log file by typing this at the % prompt after you log
in in text mode:

grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

There may also be some warnings:

grep WW /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If it's possible, it would help us debug the issue if you could send the
contents of "Xorg.0.log" (to see errors from the X windowing system) and
the output of "dmesg" (to see any kernel messages when booting) as well
as the output of "sudo lspci -vvv" (to see exactly what hardware you
have there).

I understand it might be tricky to send this stuff without X running,
unless you're familiar with ssh/sftp and so on probably the easiest way
would be to copy it to a usb drive and from there to a machine that does
boot up ok.

Something like this process:

(plug in usb drive, wait 10 seconds)
dmesg | tail
(should see something about new usb drive sdc: sdc1 sdc2 or similar,
  use the corresponding name in the below where sdc1 is mentioned)
mkdir usb-drive/
sudo mount /dev/sdc1 usb-drive/
(if it complains about a filesystem type, try
  sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 usb-drive
)
cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log usb-drive/
sudo lspci -vvv > usb-drive/lspci.txt
dmesg > usb-drive/dmesg.txt
sudo umount usb-drive/
(wait until prompt reappears before unplugging)

> I can get into some sort of root by typing; "sudo su" but I have no idea of how to get this thing to remember that it is a live CD and boot.

Looks like it has a Xeon processor, which should be compatible with the
64bit "amd64" version.

Thanks for the report, I hope we can figure this problem out,

Claude

> This is a new used computer I own.
>
> http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?brand=5000004&lndocid=MIGR-58662
>
> (It was used to design aircraft... 747's and things of that nature.)
> Windows XP pro works.
> Windows XP pro 64 bit works
>
> Puredyne live works great on all my other computers. Starts right up. The 383 works almost flawlessly on both my laptops. 686 does nothing.
>
> The 383 version of puredyne is recognized as 686 on the workstation. Both versins react identical. It identifies the computer as an 86_64.
>
> I'm not too sure what to do at this point yet to get it to boot... Maybe you could  toss some suggestions my way to see if we can get it to boot...
>
> Thanks,
> Elmer

Elmer Kilred Elmer Kilred

Re: [puredyne] Problems booting Live Distro

Hey Claude,

I am still fiddling around with trying to mount the usb drive. I get a lot of exit 32, and that it failed to mount, or it is mounted but cannot write to the drive (even though write protection is off.)

Okay... here are some of the EE/WW codes;
grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Current Operating System: Linux puredne 2.6.31-9-rt #152-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT RT
Thursday Oct 15 13:22:24 UTC209 x86_64
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
(EE)VESA(0): No valid modes
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

grep WW /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(WW)  The Directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
(WW)  The directory "usr/share/fonts/Type1" does not exist.
(WW)  Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
(WW) VESA(0): Unable to estimate virtual size
(WW) VESA(0): No valid modes left. Trying less strict filter...
(WW) VESA(0): Unable to estimate virtual size
(WW) VESA(0): No valid modes left. Trying aggressive sync range...
(WW) VESA(0): Unable to estimate virtual size

I think I will erase one of my flash drives on my laptop and then put a grub on it. Then boot it with my laptop so that I may be able to see if I can't get the drive to help boot X on the IBM workstation. I tried an old grub/stick and it did some different things... I ended up with a lot of ffffffff codes and then my computer froze up with the cursor at the bottom of the page. (It's difficult to read all of the info that comes out of the boot checks because it moves much faster than my laptop. (I think it is due to two sockets and two processors on this computer... This is a dual socket 3.4ghz machine that is using something called EM64? Some name for hyperthreading I think. Anyway, the memory is stacked up to 6gb on p2pc3200 (1gb stick per slot.) and somehow this effects the way that the processors are read and the two single core processors read as if there are four, or two single cores read as dual core....this is all new to me because I have never had a machine like this.

I'm going to boot windows and get my all my specs on this whole machine and then I will send this back so at least we know what is in this tower. Then, I will dig out an old laptop and build a quick grub on a usb with a 383 live cd... then I will see if it boots with the 383 and the usb... Then if this does not work, I will have to format one of my usb drives and drop on some fat2's, 4's,8's, 16's... I think I remember some sort of dmesg program on my current version of puredyne. (This may take a little while.) Then I will go back to seeing if the usb will mount.

Elmer

Puredyne@...