[puredyne] Pd externals and abstractions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
grant centauri grant centauri
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[puredyne] Pd externals and abstractions

hello all,

i've been delving into Pure Data a bit, as I was once a Max/MSP user and feel its time to put that knowledge back to use.

however, i'm having a few issues with getting all of the extras that seem to be included in the pd package to load in the actual software.  for example, I was trying to run a patch that used freeverb~, and when trying to load it freeverb~ could not be found.  I located the freeverb~.pd file in something like /usr/lib/pd/extras/footils/foo/freeverb~.pd .. so I added that directory to Pd's search path.  freeverb~ then loaded, however now I had an issue with plugin~ not existing, specifically plugin~ freeverb3

it seems to me like there's a lot of stuff in the pure:dyne distribution that isn't getting loaded by Pd, and I was wondering if there's a quick and easy way to get all of the externals and abstractions into Pd's path.  I tried adding /usr/lib/pd, but that didn't seem to work quite right.  maybe i'm just missing something simple, but i feel though I'm doing everything I know to do and its still not working.  it makes it kind of hard to explore Pd when every time I want to look at someone's patch I have to locate some external it requires.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

grant

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Claude Heiland-Allen Claude Heiland-Allen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] Pd externals and abstractions

Hi Grant,

On 21/07/10 13:47, grant centauri wrote:

> hello all,
>
> i've been delving into Pure Data a bit, as I was once a Max/MSP user and
> feel its time to put that knowledge back to use.
>
> however, i'm having a few issues with getting all of the extras that
> seem to be included in the pd package to load in the actual software.
> for example, I was trying to run a patch that used freeverb~, and when
> trying to load it freeverb~ could not be found.  I located the
> freeverb~.pd file in something like
> /usr/lib/pd/extras/footils/foo/freeverb~.pd .. so I added that directory
> to Pd's search path.  freeverb~ then loaded, however now I had an issue
> with plugin~ not existing, specifically plugin~ freeverb3

If you can add to or file new bug reports about missing .pdrc -path and
-lib settings (see below) and/or any externals that you would like to
see packaged by the Puredyne team, it would really help us to keep track
of what needs to be improved.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/puredyne/+filebug

> it seems to me like there's a lot of stuff in the pure:dyne distribution
> that isn't getting loaded by Pd, and I was wondering if there's a quick
> and easy way to get all of the externals and abstractions into Pd's
> path.

Pd doesn't make it easy at the moment, unfortunately :(

There is work going on upstream (ie, by Pure-data developers) to make
libraries work better, with better ways to build/distribute libraries
for Pd and to declare/import libraries that are used by patches, so in
the future patches should 'just work' on any system that has the
required libraries installed (and if you miss libraries you'll get more
useful error messages).  Until that is done, and until old patches get
updated to the new standards (whatever they turn out to be), this is a
bit of a problem, and one that Puredyne can't really solve on its own.

> I tried adding /usr/lib/pd, but that didn't seem to work quite
> right.

Right, Pd doesn't search recursively, so you have to add each folder
separately.  Moreover, Pd doesn't provide a way to autodetect installed
libraries, so when building a live distribution like Puredyne we have to
add all those folders into the ~/.pdrc preferences file for Pd, and
occasionally we forget to add some.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~puredyne-team/broth/devel/annotate/head:/stock/chroot_local-includes/etc/skel/.pdrc

should be very similar to what's on the Puredyne 9.11 liveDVD.

> maybe i'm just missing something simple, but i feel though I'm
> doing everything I know to do and its still not working.

I know the infrastructure around Pd is frustrating, but it has a lot got
better over the last few years - still a long way to go until it's where
it needs to be though...

> it makes it
> kind of hard to explore Pd when every time I want to look at someone's
> patch I have to locate some external it requires.

> any help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks
>
> grant


Sorry for the less-than-immediate reply,


Claude

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
grant centauri grant centauri
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] Pd externals and abstractions

I appreciate the reply, its good to know that it just needs some work, and than i'm not just an idiot.  I didn't even think to look for a .pdrc file, so perhaps that will help me a bit.  I just figured that since the externals and libraries were installed on the pure:dyne system that PureData should know where they are and how to load them.  Perhaps if I go through and just add every directory by hand, i can submit that file to the puredyne project or something.  I'm not an experienced scripter, but I was wondering if it might be possible to make some script that would detect all the .pd files and libraries on a system, create one main directory and create hardlinks in it, then add that directory to PD's search path?  I'm sure there would be complications... I guess in the mean time maybe I'll just focus on the basics of PureData and perhaps start learning Supercollider since everyone is always talking about it.  Thanks for the advice.

grant

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 3:57 AM, Claude Heiland-Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Grant,


On 21/07/10 13:47, grant centauri wrote:
hello all,

i've been delving into Pure Data a bit, as I was once a Max/MSP user and
feel its time to put that knowledge back to use.

however, i'm having a few issues with getting all of the extras that
seem to be included in the pd package to load in the actual software.
for example, I was trying to run a patch that used freeverb~, and when
trying to load it freeverb~ could not be found.  I located the
freeverb~.pd file in something like
/usr/lib/pd/extras/footils/foo/freeverb~.pd .. so I added that directory
to Pd's search path.  freeverb~ then loaded, however now I had an issue
with plugin~ not existing, specifically plugin~ freeverb3

If you can add to or file new bug reports about missing .pdrc -path and -lib settings (see below) and/or any externals that you would like to see packaged by the Puredyne team, it would really help us to keep track of what needs to be improved.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/puredyne/+filebug


it seems to me like there's a lot of stuff in the pure:dyne distribution
that isn't getting loaded by Pd, and I was wondering if there's a quick
and easy way to get all of the externals and abstractions into Pd's
path.

Pd doesn't make it easy at the moment, unfortunately :(

There is work going on upstream (ie, by Pure-data developers) to make libraries work better, with better ways to build/distribute libraries for Pd and to declare/import libraries that are used by patches, so in the future patches should 'just work' on any system that has the required libraries installed (and if you miss libraries you'll get more useful error messages).  Until that is done, and until old patches get updated to the new standards (whatever they turn out to be), this is a bit of a problem, and one that Puredyne can't really solve on its own.


I tried adding /usr/lib/pd, but that didn't seem to work quite
right.

Right, Pd doesn't search recursively, so you have to add each folder separately.  Moreover, Pd doesn't provide a way to autodetect installed libraries, so when building a live distribution like Puredyne we have to add all those folders into the ~/.pdrc preferences file for Pd, and occasionally we forget to add some.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~puredyne-team/broth/devel/annotate/head:/stock/chroot_local-includes/etc/skel/.pdrc

should be very similar to what's on the Puredyne 9.11 liveDVD.


maybe i'm just missing something simple, but i feel though I'm
doing everything I know to do and its still not working.

I know the infrastructure around Pd is frustrating, but it has a lot got better over the last few years - still a long way to go until it's where it needs to be though...


it makes it
kind of hard to explore Pd when every time I want to look at someone's
patch I have to locate some external it requires.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

grant


Sorry for the less-than-immediate reply,


Claude


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne