[puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

12

[puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

i find myself in a strange position.  or perhaps not so strange.

this pure:dyne mailing list is  becoming a place in the world where i feel like my voice is heard, and there are people from various points on a spectrum all working in their own ways to create an environment which supports the creation of various types of art.  some are more users of the environment to create various arts and some seem to be more contributors and creators of the environment itself.  obviously this is an example of new, or not so new, ways of using and making technology and art.

i find myself in a position on that spectrum of an amateur, and somewhat of an outsider.  i live in lincoln, nebraska, in the middle of the Great Plains, i come from a very small town and have only a curious nature to account for the knowledge and skill i have as an artist/inventor/user/hacker/whatever.  i've had an interest in music which lead me in many directions, including computers and electronics, but never lead me to any type of 'career' or 'specialization'... i'm not a musician and i'm not an engineer.  i'm not sure where everyone else falls on this spectrum, and i was kind of wondering.  personally, i am starting to see myself as an educator/artist perhaps, with the two being combined into a 'career' and also just expression and experimentation/exploration.

being from nebraska, there isn't a lot going on in my neighborhood, at least that i know of.  it seems like a lot of people on this list are from some place in europe, where the open source world seems to be a bit more active that where i'm from.  however, i am extremely interested in the possibilities of 'free' software and the models of open source collaboration.

pure:dyne seems like one manifestation of the energy surrounding this electronic world.  i find that i agree with and enjoy the people who contribute to this list, and find the pure:dyne environment an exciting one to work in and to show other people.  in thinking about how i can contribute to the project, i find my role as an amateur a bit strange because i don't have the skill or knowledge to actually help work out bugs on the computer side of things, and my depth of knowledge about the individual software packages for creating media with is limited.  i have been spending a lot of time learning how to use things however, and think that is giving me a good idea of what a new user might experience coming to the pure:dyne (and linux/FLOSS in general) experience.  in the long term, i am hoping to start some kind of educational center or program focused on the study and creation of media which would be open to all who had an interest.  right now it is just an idea, and i bet it isn't an uncommon one.  but i do see that there could be a reality to creating some kind of living for myself as an educator, ideally outside of the public and collegiate system here in the US.  a free school if you will.

i was wondering if anyone here had any input and/or interest in developing some kind of educational modules that could be shared and implemented by anyone with the drive and motivation to do some kind of education with people who want to learn.  i think that any of it could be part of pure:dyne documentation and might just help newer users get past some of the more arcane tasks involved with creating in this environment.  i think it is consistently getting better, but the learning curve is still steep in a way, i feel like i could help carve some steps to make it easier for people to learn.  ideally, i'd love to teach classes on a whole range of user side elements of open source computing.

i know i'm saying a lot here and need to actually start doing some of these things, but i was interested in seeing what others thought.  i've been enjoying the various non-technical discussions on the list lately and thought i'd initiate a possible topic.

-grant

Josh Lawrence-2 Josh Lawrence-2

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 5:53 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> being from nebraska, there isn't a lot going on in my neighborhood, at least
> that i know of.  it seems like a lot of people on this list are from some
> place in europe, where the open source world seems to be a bit more active
> that where i'm from.  however, i am extremely interested in the
> possibilities of 'free' software and the models of open source
> collaboration.

hi grant,

I'm in texarkana, tx - so I got one up on you :)  you'll find that the
most frustrating aspect about pure:dyne is that it *isn't* happening
state-side.  I have encouraged the members of goto10 to start
providing web classes, but it hasn't happened yet.  I don't blame
them, they are doing everything they can and doing it for next to
nothing.  still, if they dangled a paypal link out on their website
and charged a fee, I'd be *very* inclined to pay for it (hint, hint).

this doesn't help you much, but at least you know you're not alone!

josh

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

nice to know there's others out in the desert of the US.

i agree, i think that the goto10 team has their hands full already, and i was actually thinking of myself as perhaps an outpost of education here in the midwest.  i have time to contribute and i have been working on teaching different people how to go about using pure:dyne.  its all by the seat of my pants of course, i've been just teaching myself how to do it slowly, i feel like i can be a shortcut to others who might not have the patience or time for learning how to iron out all the little details.  just hoping to contribute.

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Josh Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 5:53 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> being from nebraska, there isn't a lot going on in my neighborhood, at least
> that i know of.  it seems like a lot of people on this list are from some
> place in europe, where the open source world seems to be a bit more active
> that where i'm from.  however, i am extremely interested in the
> possibilities of 'free' software and the models of open source
> collaboration.

hi grant,

I'm in texarkana, tx - so I got one up on you :)  you'll find that the
most frustrating aspect about pure:dyne is that it *isn't* happening
state-side.  I have encouraged the members of goto10 to start
providing web classes, but it hasn't happened yet.  I don't blame
them, they are doing everything they can and doing it for next to
nothing.  still, if they dangled a paypal link out on their website
and charged a fee, I'd be *very* inclined to pay for it (hint, hint).

this doesn't help you much, but at least you know you're not alone!

josh

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

I hear you - I am lost in the mountain of canada here and people think
that if it's free software you probably stole it. I am managing the IT
of a yoga center here and learning a lot about open source, media
activism and computational art... It might be time to start thinking
about a north american branch of goto10. I am also in the learning
process but that creative part in me wants to really come out. Like
you I am not so much an artist, but a maker, or hacker or tinkerer ~
but this whole world of floss art and opensource creation has inspired
me a lot.

I also design web page and quite fluent about
hosting/registering/building web site - so I could help on that side
of thing ~ and focus on the training of more beginner ;) I might be
teaching soon a school of k-12 about computational art and programing
- that will be a wicked experience for me!

light

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 7:06 PM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> activism and computational art... It might be time to start thinking
> about a north american branch of goto10. I am also in the learning

I think this is the best idea yet - why not join the goto10 collective?

I wonder if Aymeric could chime in with how something like that would work.

Josh

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

yep he has been ;) I've been checking with him how to start that - but
I never tough it would be a branch to goto10 (I was more asking him
aout what it take to start something new not thinking that it would be
possible to simple start something under the goto10 flag )  that would
be quite a privilege - We would need to find some hosting and project
and see who is interested in what an we can start from there ;)

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Josh Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 7:06 PM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> activism and computational art... It might be time to start thinking
>> about a north american branch of goto10. I am also in the learning
>
> I think this is the best idea yet - why not join the goto10 collective?
>
> I wonder if Aymeric could chime in with how something like that would work.
>
> Josh

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

Hey :)

geoffroy tremblay said :
> yep he has been ;) I've been checking with him how to start that - but
> I never tough it would be a branch to goto10 (I was more asking him
> aout what it take to start something new not thinking that it would be
> possible to simple start something under the goto10 flag )  that would
> be quite a privilege - We would need to find some hosting and project
> and see who is interested in what an we can start from there ;)

Yes we had some exchanges off-list, I also had, indeed, a few in the
past with Josh and Alejo regarding GOTO10 workshops and how to put them
online for people who cannot attend.

I'm heading for week long hacking on NOP (http://pluto.kuri.mu) with
Dave and Marloes, so I cannot reply properly now, but I will! This is a
really good discussion and quite close to the "puredyne for everyone"
tour we did in england a while ago, which was a mix of software
development and writing of workshop modules.

Might be good also at some point to explain how we are structuring the
technical learning at the networked media branch of the Piet Zwart
Institute, as it is somehow related to the distributed course outline
platform that Chun, myself and a few others wanted to start in London a
while ago, and that could be inspiring for thinking in terms of shared
education modules based on free software.

More later...
Meanwhile, feel free to develop the thread further!

2010/10/9 geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]>:
> I hear you - I am lost in the mountain of canada here

This thread has given me a lovely mental image of you all sitting solo
in far-flung deserts/mountains, which feels quite attractive when one
is in the squashed-up-close London setting :)

All this talk about the things you're thinking of putting together is exciting

alejoo alejoo

On Oct 10, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Dan S wrote:

> 2010/10/9 geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]>:
>> I hear you - I am lost in the mountain of canada here
>
> This thread has given me a lovely mental image of you all sitting solo
> in far-flung deserts/mountains, which feels quite attractive when one
> is in the squashed-up-close London setting :)
>
> All this talk about the things you're thinking of putting together
> is exciting

on this-connetion topic, there's also the always already there
#puredyne IRC channel at irc.goto10.org in case someone here likes to
follow on this thread, im guessing it might be a good meeting point..

plus, if for some odd reason someone is into video streaming (i know
goto10 has an icecast server) though I could set accounts to anyone
needing or wanting to explore the field in our server at: http://abrazo.servideo.org:8000/

i've bee actually trying to build a simple platform (based on the
html5 <video> tag) where 2 or more parties could join and have some
knowledge exchange (no educational purpose whatsoever :) every now and
then.

im looking fwd to time so try and finally nail down the liveUSB key
that will get mac hardware to boot into a customized puredyne ready
for the above type of connection (streams+IRC)

im unaware of software that allows video links from more than the
usual 1x1 channels, please let me know if im missing something.

saludos,
/a

jaromil jaromil

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

Manjunan Gnanaratnam Manjunan Gnanaratnam

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

I live in Minneapolis, I am in agreement with Grant and others who live in
the US that some sort of US affiliation is good/needed.

Also, currently Puredyne is being utilized/tested as the "operating system"
in my program Open Source Dance which will be implemented nationally in the
US in the next few years. This  should open up further collaboration
opportunities for Puredyne Artists within the Dance world.

 Manju

Manjunan Gnanaratnam
[http://www.manjunan.com]
[http://www.opensourcedance.org]

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is
Music."-Aldous Huxley

> From: Aymeric Mansoux <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:53:38 +0200
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding
> pure:dyne
>
> Hey :)
>
> geoffroy tremblay said :
>> yep he has been ;) I've been checking with him how to start that - but
>> I never tough it would be a branch to goto10 (I was more asking him
>> aout what it take to start something new not thinking that it would be
>> possible to simple start something under the goto10 flag )  that would
>> be quite a privilege - We would need to find some hosting and project
>> and see who is interested in what an we can start from there ;)
>
> Yes we had some exchanges off-list, I also had, indeed, a few in the
> past with Josh and Alejo regarding GOTO10 workshops and how to put them
> online for people who cannot attend.
>
> I'm heading for week long hacking on NOP (http://pluto.kuri.mu) with
> Dave and Marloes, so I cannot reply properly now, but I will! This is a
> really good discussion and quite close to the "puredyne for everyone"
> tour we did in england a while ago, which was a mix of software
> development and writing of workshop modules.
>
> Might be good also at some point to explain how we are structuring the
> technical learning at the networked media branch of the Piet Zwart
> Institute, as it is somehow related to the distributed course outline
> platform that Chun, myself and a few others wanted to start in London a
> while ago, and that could be inspiring for thinking in terms of shared
> education modules based on free software.
>
> More later...
> Meanwhile, feel free to develop the thread further!
>
> a.
> --
> http://su.kuri.mu

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

Yep the solo part and nature is good for sure, lots of inspiration and
creativity ;) but the community inspiration with people and projects
is a bit missing, I used to live in Montreal which was somhow of a big
city (for canada that is)... So far the online community has helped
that a lot - hence the desire to build something more tangible to take
a next step into that creative energy

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/10/9 geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]>:
>> I hear you - I am lost in the mountain of canada here
>
> This thread has given me a lovely mental image of you all sitting solo
> in far-flung deserts/mountains, which feels quite attractive when one
> is in the squashed-up-close London setting :)
>
> All this talk about the things you're thinking of putting together is exciting
>
> Dan

Bernardo Barros Bernardo Barros

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

I live in São Paulo (Brazil) downtown, I'm always dreaming about
travel to the mountains/beach. :-)

2010/10/10 geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]>:

> Yep the solo part and nature is good for sure, lots of inspiration and
> creativity ;) but the community inspiration with people and projects
> is a bit missing, I used to live in Montreal which was somhow of a big
> city (for canada that is)... So far the online community has helped
> that a lot - hence the desire to build something more tangible to take
> a next step into that creative energy
>
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2010/10/9 geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]>:
>>> I hear you - I am lost in the mountain of canada here
>>
>> This thread has given me a lovely mental image of you all sitting solo
>> in far-flung deserts/mountains, which feels quite attractive when one
>> is in the squashed-up-close London setting :)
>>
>> All this talk about the things you're thinking of putting together is exciting
>>
>> Dan

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

I'm glad to see the discussion continuing.  And the desert image of Nebraska is a bit misleading, prairie is more accurate, though the town I live in is really just a midwestern college town.  I've had this dream of creating some kind of nature retreat with creative technology built in somewhat organically... after taking a workshop or Max/MSP in chicago i noticed that most if not all the output i had seen felt very urban or very academic.  i thought it would be interesting to see what kind of electronic art would be made by people in a more natural setting.

as far as educational modules go, I am definitely willing (and have time) to create content... its just a matter of doing.  i'm not a particularly organized person and tend to put off the doing until i feel like everything is "just right"... which isn't often.

however, i have been experimenting with using open source software to teach middle school kids various creative media techniques.  my only successful attempt so far has been with Pencil, a nice piece of 2D animation software.  i've been away from the after school program for about 6 months now though so I haven't done much recently.  I am hoping to start again soon, and was planning on using pure:dyne as a platform for media creation.  The problem is that the school media labs are all Apple computers, I'm not even sure if they are Intel or not.  While this is good in the sense that I have access to all of the 'iLife' software, I am really hoping to engage the kids in a deeper use and understanding of the computer as a tool, an extention of themselves which can be changed to suit their own particular needs, rather than another product or entertainment device.

i guess this post isn't saying much, just thinking aloud.

I have had an idea to host a kind of introductory workshop in my home for some friends that are artists or musicians.  I was going to set up a couple of machines with pure:dyne and perhaps ask some to bring laptops and maybe USB sticks and simply walk through the process and concept of a live distribution, free software, and the basics of linux audio.  I feel like that could at least generate some interest locally which would perhaps help me learn to teach and maybe generate some real life documentation on the issues and questions new users have.

And though we're quite spread out here in the Americas, perhaps some kind of meetup or something in the future could be interesting?

Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

So Tyler (Central Washington), Grant (Lincoln, nebraska),
Josh(texarkana, tx ), Manjunan(Mineapolis), Bernardo (São Paulo
Brazil) and myself Gef (kootenay Bay BC)!

Should have a chat about what could happen with all this ? We could
have a chat on the goto10 irc server to see what we can get started
and where everyone is at - just to see what could be possible and
needed ? Or simply to say hi and see who there on this side of the
world ;) !

What about Saturday Oct 16th at 12pm Pacific time (we will have to
make sur we get the time right for everyone ;)

let me know - I should be able to chat anytime this whole coming weekend

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Tyler Leavitt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> i guess this post isn't saying much, just thinking aloud.
>>
>> I have had an idea to host a kind of introductory workshop in my home for
>> some friends that are artists or musicians.  I was going to set up a couple
>> of machines with pure:dyne and perhaps ask some to bring laptops and maybe
>> USB sticks and simply walk through the process and concept of a live
>> distribution, free software, and the basics of linux audio.  I feel like
>> that could at least generate some interest locally which would perhaps help
>> me learn to teach and maybe generate some real life documentation on the
>> issues and questions new users have.
>>
>> And though we're quite spread out here in the Americas, perhaps some kind
>> of meetup or something in the future could be interesting?

Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

i should be able to make it... 12pm pacific is when my daughter goes down for a nap so that's usually the start of free time =)

tyler

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> needs, rather than another product or entertainment device.
>>
>> i guess this post isn't saying much, just thinking aloud.
>>
>> I have had an idea to host a kind of introductory workshop in my home for
>> some friends that are artists or musicians.  I was going to set up a couple
>> of machines with pure:dyne and perhaps ask some to bring laptops and maybe
>> USB sticks and simply walk through the process and concept of a live
>> distribution, free software, and the basics of linux audio.  I feel like
>> that could at least generate some interest locally which would perhaps help
>> me learn to teach and maybe generate some real life documentation on the
>> issues and questions new users have.
>>
>> And though we're quite spread out here in the Americas, perhaps some kind
>> of meetup or something in the future could be interesting?

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

unfortunately I work all weekend, my only available time would probably be after 10pm central.  don't let me stop a chat though, i'd be happy enough to read a log if people are eager to get talking soon.

-grant

jm jones jm jones

2010/10/12 grant centauri <[hidden email]>:

> unfortunately I work all weekend, my only available time would probably be
> after 10pm central.  don't let me stop a chat though, i'd be happy enough to
> read a log if people are eager to get talking soon.
>
> -grant
>
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Tyler Leavitt <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> i should be able to make it... 12pm pacific is when my daughter goes down
>> for a nap so that's usually the start of free time =)
>> tyler
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> So Tyler (Central Washington), Grant (Lincoln, nebraska),
>>> Josh(texarkana, tx ), Manjunan(Mineapolis), Bernardo (São Paulo
>>> Brazil) and myself Gef (kootenay Bay BC)!
>>>
>>> Should have a chat about what could happen with all this ? We could
>>> have a chat on the goto10 irc server to see what we can get started
>>> and where everyone is at - just to see what could be possible and
>>> needed ? Or simply to say hi and see who there on this side of the
>>> world ;) !
>>>
>>> What about Saturday Oct 16th at 12pm Pacific time (we will have to
>>> make sur we get the time right for everyone ;)
>>>
>>> let me know - I should be able to chat anytime this whole coming weekend

>>> ---
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>>> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

Hi from the mountains of Patagonia Argentina! another lost pd user in
the world here : )  Interesting conversation.

--
JM Jones

Re: [puredyne] OT: personal observations and ideas regarding pure:dyne

I am also available on friday - or later on saturday - whatever works
for the group and as you said we can keep a transcript of the chat and
see from there what can be the next step

12