[puredyne] OT Hey Puredyne Americas

Things have stalled a bit on the wiki.  I'm sure lives have gotten in the way.

I would like to try and host/coordinate some kind of educational/artistic  event on a smaller scale of what is happening elsewhere.

I have a couple of ideas, some connections in the region to artists, and am in the process of creating a more general GNU/Linux educational program here in Lincoln.

Could anyone who is interested please get in touch?  I think with a project like this and a timeline, perhaps some remote support we could make something happen.  Its just a matter of making it worth the cost of travel.  We're all pretty far away.

thanks,
-grant

Re: [puredyne] OT Hey Puredyne Americas

could be interesting  - I have been working here with a secondary
school on puredyne and processing - I could offer remote help.

I realized puredyne americas is a bit slow at this point probably
because of the lack of common project - it would be great to have
something central that would benefit/motivate all of us to participate

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:51 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Things have stalled a bit on the wiki.  I'm sure lives have gotten in the
> way.
>
> I would like to try and host/coordinate some kind of educational/artistic
> event on a smaller scale of what is happening elsewhere.
>
> I have a couple of ideas, some connections in the region to artists, and am
> in the process of creating a more general GNU/Linux educational program here
> in Lincoln.
>
> Could anyone who is interested please get in touch?  I think with a project
> like this and a timeline, perhaps some remote support we could make
> something happen.  Its just a matter of making it worth the cost of travel.
> We're all pretty far away.
>
> thanks,
> -grant

Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Re: [puredyne] OT Hey Puredyne Americas

I agree on a need for a common project. I have been hibernating/musing this winter with a full load of classes and a newborn and have some stored up inspiration that needs to be directed. I will be starting a new quarter of school in 3 weeks (meaning that now I'm going through finals) and will be starting an art project that will incorporate a homemade USB MIDI drum trigger "brain" and PureData. It's going to an all-wood exterior piece with wood blocks as drum triggers (played marimba style) that can play in 5TET 7TET and 12TET --- ideas being loosely drawn from gamelan ensemble music.

Maybe we can get together and talk about what we are doing and what project(s) we could be working on and just the general goal/direction of this little group in a chat environment soon, eh? Considering it's still only 3 of us we should be able to work out a time to meet and discuss. I don't know about you guys but e-mails are too hard for me to dismiss, put off, and forget... so possibly some real-time chat could be of use in pointing us somewhere.

For now,
Tyler

PS - Here is the USB MIDI brain I'm talking about http://www.ise.pw.edu.pl/~wzab/MIDI/perkusja/index.html

Josh Lawrence-2 Josh Lawrence-2

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Tyler Leavitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> this little group in a chat environment soon, eh? Considering it's still
> only 3 of us we should be able to work out a time to meet and discuss. I
> don't know about you guys but e-mails are too hard for me to dismiss, put
> off, and forget... so possibly some real-time chat could be of use in
> pointing us somewhere.

I agree - an irc chat would be very good.  problem is, when?  evenings
are better for me...

--
Josh Lawrence
www.hardbop200.com

Re: [puredyne] OT Hey Puredyne Americas

Well the winter is certainly time for hibernation and musing.  I'd love to get together for a chat.  Perhaps just as a way of supporting and getting feedback on ideas we could try and arrange a regular time?  I'm sure even showing up for that could be hard, but its worth a shot.  I'm available most times.  Evenings are probably good.  I'm in Central time, 8pm?

Most of my ideas right now are of the educational/missionary style, trying to promote the use of FLOSS amongst the general public or specific types of enthusiasts.  So events, workshops, etc are what I'm thinking of.  I have a fantastic house with a huge basement, and Lincoln is a pretty decent place.  I was thinking of trying to set up some kind of 'summer camp' sort of thing like the folks at GOTO10 have each year, if people can travel we could have some kind of art show/workshops/discussion/fun times with people who might have an interest in FLOSS + Art or just learning in general.  It might be better to try and host an event in a larger city where more people would show up, but part of my goal is to explore the use of digital media in non urban environments, make connections with people rather than technology, and just build a community.  Anyways... yes lets chat.  For purposes of getting the ball rolling, could we aim at meeting in IRC a week from today?  Next Thursday at 8pm Central?

-grant

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Tyler Leavitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree on a need for a common project. I have been hibernating/musing this winter with a full load of classes and a newborn and have some stored up inspiration that needs to be directed. I will be starting a new quarter of school in 3 weeks (meaning that now I'm going through finals) and will be starting an art project that will incorporate a homemade USB MIDI drum trigger "brain" and PureData. It's going to an all-wood exterior piece with wood blocks as drum triggers (played marimba style) that can play in 5TET 7TET and 12TET --- ideas being loosely drawn from gamelan ensemble music.

Maybe we can get together and talk about what we are doing and what project(s) we could be working on and just the general goal/direction of this little group in a chat environment soon, eh? Considering it's still only 3 of us we should be able to work out a time to meet and discuss. I don't know about you guys but e-mails are too hard for me to dismiss, put off, and forget... so possibly some real-time chat could be of use in pointing us somewhere.

For now,
Tyler

PS - Here is the USB MIDI brain I'm talking about http://www.ise.pw.edu.pl/~wzab/MIDI/perkusja/index.html

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 4:25 PM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
could be interesting  - I have been working here with a secondary
school on puredyne and processing - I could offer remote help.

I realized puredyne americas is a bit slow at this point probably
because of the lack of common project - it would be great to have
something central that would benefit/motivate all of us to participate

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:51 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Things have stalled a bit on the wiki.  I'm sure lives have gotten in the
> way.
>
> I would like to try and host/coordinate some kind of educational/artistic
> event on a smaller scale of what is happening elsewhere.
>
> I have a couple of ideas, some connections in the region to artists, and am
> in the process of creating a more general GNU/Linux educational program here
> in Lincoln.
>
> Could anyone who is interested please get in touch?  I think with a project
> like this and a timeline, perhaps some remote support we could make
> something happen.  Its just a matter of making it worth the cost of travel.
> We're all pretty far away.
>
> thanks,
> -grant

Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Re: [puredyne] OT Hey Puredyne Americas

That's not the best time for me, but I understand that that is probably the best time considering we have multiple time zones to deal with. I can't guarantee I will be very active/involved at this time (it's just before dinner (6PM Pacific) and I have two kids) but I will at least be monitoring and piping in when I get the chance.

Tyler
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 2:39 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

because of the lack of common project - it would be great to have
something central that would benefit/motivate all of us to participate

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:51 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Things have stalled a bit on the wiki.  I'm sure lives have gotten in the
> way.
>
> I would like to try and host/coordinate some kind of educational/artistic
> event on a smaller scale of what is happening elsewhere.
>
> I have a couple of ideas, some connections in the region to artists, and am
> in the process of creating a more general GNU/Linux educational program here
> in Lincoln.
>
> Could anyone who is interested please get in touch?  I think with a project
> like this and a timeline, perhaps some remote support we could make
> something happen.  Its just a matter of making it worth the cost of travel.

heheh winter hibernation indeed for me too - with school and work - can't barely get to my machines ;)

Anytime this week is good - I took 2 weeks of to get back into my project and schooling.
I've been working on few projects lately, most of them had been put on hold for school
but hopefully I can take some time this week to finish my audio mixer and some other music/animation
projects!

So Thursday is good for me - anytime also work for me - I am also on the Pacific time, if we are to do it later to accomodate tyler I am good with that too!

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Tyler Leavitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

because of the lack of common project - it would be great to have
something central that would benefit/motivate all of us to participate

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:51 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Things have stalled a bit on the wiki.  I'm sure lives have gotten in the
> way.
>
> I would like to try and host/coordinate some kind of educational/artistic
> event on a smaller scale of what is happening elsewhere.
>
> I have a couple of ideas, some connections in the region to artists, and am
> in the process of creating a more general GNU/Linux educational program here
> in Lincoln.
>
> Could anyone who is interested please get in touch?  I think with a project
> like this and a timeline, perhaps some remote support we could make
> something happen.  Its just a matter of making it worth the cost of travel.

Well I am fine with moving it later, I can be there at 10 maybe?  I'm pretty flexible.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

because of the lack of common project - it would be great to have
something central that would benefit/motivate all of us to participate

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:51 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Things have stalled a bit on the wiki.  I'm sure lives have gotten in the
> way.
>
> I would like to try and host/coordinate some kind of educational/artistic
> event on a smaller scale of what is happening elsewhere.
>
> I have a couple of ideas, some connections in the region to artists, and am
> in the process of creating a more general GNU/Linux educational program here
> in Lincoln.
>
> Could anyone who is interested please get in touch?  I think with a project
> like this and a timeline, perhaps some remote support we could make
> something happen.  Its just a matter of making it worth the cost of travel.

So Thursday @ 10PM Central / 8PM Pacific? That would work better for me. I'll have my kids down by then so I'll be good =)

Tyler

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:07 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

because of the lack of common project - it would be great to have
something central that would benefit/motivate all of us to participate

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:51 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Things have stalled a bit on the wiki.  I'm sure lives have gotten in the
> way.
>
> I would like to try and host/coordinate some kind of educational/artistic
> event on a smaller scale of what is happening elsewhere.
>
> I have a couple of ideas, some connections in the region to artists, and am
> in the process of creating a more general GNU/Linux educational program here
> in Lincoln.
>
> Could anyone who is interested please get in touch?  I think with a project
> like this and a timeline, perhaps some remote support we could make
> something happen.  Its just a matter of making it worth the cost of travel.

I can be there.  Though, where is there?  puredyne's IRC?

#puredyne on irc.goto10.org

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:45 PM, Tyler Leavitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

because of the lack of common project - it would be great to have
something central that would benefit/motivate all of us to participate

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:51 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Things have stalled a bit on the wiki.  I'm sure lives have gotten in the
> way.
>
> I would like to try and host/coordinate some kind of educational/artistic
> event on a smaller scale of what is happening elsewhere.
>
> I have a couple of ideas, some connections in the region to artists, and am
> in the process of creating a more general GNU/Linux educational program here
> in Lincoln.
>
> Could anyone who is interested please get in touch?  I think with a project
> like this and a timeline, perhaps some remote support we could make
> something happen.  Its just a matter of making it worth the cost of travel.

irc works good with me  - time is also good with me ;)