[puredyne] OT: Building a decent video editing setup

[puredyne] OT: Building a decent video editing setup

Hi all,

I've recently been exploring cinellera and the possibilities of using a linux box as a video editing studio.  I've got an older machine that i'm slowly trying to get up to snuff, its a 2.9GHz processor, 1.6 gigs of ram and an outdated nvidia card (for which openGL is not supported by the new X11).

I'm looking into getting myself a new video card so that I can efficiently view video I am editing, and possibly for actually importing video from analog sources.  I am also curious about how to optimize a video editing setup and thought maybe some of you would have tips or starting points for me.  Right now I'm using cinellera under the latest Linux Mint distro, but I've also got a pure:dyne setup that is obviously a bit more stripped down, and am considering using it as a starting point.

So if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should look for or what works well, please let me know.  I'd like to try and get near a professional level using consumer level (mostly purchased from craigslist) hardware.

Thanks,

Grant

Lukasz Jastrzebski Lukasz Jastrzebski

Re: [puredyne] OT: Building a decent video editing setup

What will be the resolutions you want to aim in? VGA for your blog?
HD? Beta? And what quality?

If your target is high quality output or producing some heavy (long/hi
res) material, so you need to work on lossless or hi-res video - you
may consider network storage with something like several dozens TB of
maximum disk space and some kind of network backbone data piping
solution (such kind you can add disks when its needed without fiddling
with RAID configuration and that has really fast networking solution).
Choosing RAID type for matrix and to have or not to have additional
backup storage (like DVDs) is another thing to consider. Not much use
when you're doing YT-like vlog, but necessary if you're into any
serious, more demanding job and you need to store some lossless data
in 1 or 2 years span.
This can be "pro" grade matrix, or a recycled PC with a bunch of SATA
drives and some extra networking cards - anything from 50 Euro up.

To have or not to have smooth video preview is a minor problem, when
editing most of the "big" things the disk operations times are
critical.

What you need depends what size of input/output data you're targeting
at, how many things you wish to do at a given time and how much
editing do you actually need to do.

Cheers,
Luke

2010/5/7 grant centauri <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I've recently been exploring cinellera and the possibilities of using a
> linux box as a video editing studio.  I've got an older machine that i'm
> slowly trying to get up to snuff, its a 2.9GHz processor, 1.6 gigs of ram
> and an outdated nvidia card (for which openGL is not supported by the new
> X11).
>
> I'm looking into getting myself a new video card so that I can efficiently
> view video I am editing, and possibly for actually importing video from
> analog sources.  I am also curious about how to optimize a video editing
> setup and thought maybe some of you would have tips or starting points for
> me.  Right now I'm using cinellera under the latest Linux Mint distro, but
> I've also got a pure:dyne setup that is obviously a bit more stripped down,
> and am considering using it as a starting point.
>
> So if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should look for or what works
> well, please let me know.  I'd like to try and get near a professional level
> using consumer level (mostly purchased from craigslist) hardware.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Grant

Re: [puredyne] OT: Building a decent video editing setup

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not nearly that far into my experiment yet.  Eventually I'd like to have a sort of educational studio set up with many work stations and capabilities, as cheaply as possible and utilizing FLOSS, possibly be its own render farm... alas I am a total amateur with no real background in either computers or multimedia.

right now my goal is to find a stable and effective hardware/software set up for personal use, educating myself and experimental projects.  i'm no where near HD, most work i've done is captured from numerous low quality sources, and often needing some kind of conversion before i can effectively begin editing... i have had basically no money to spend on equipment, so i've been trying to see what I can do piece by piece.

i think eventually your setup will make sense for what i'm considering.  i am currently teaching middle schoolers (and myself) the basics of movie making, video editing, and multimedia creation.  Right now I'm stuck using a very limited setup on the school's iMacs.  iMovie, Garageband and so on...  I'd like to teach kids how to use computers for creative projects and media creation opposed to Microsoft and entertainment.  And I'd love to use FLOSS and recycled hardware so that the people I work with who are low-income can have access to a setup of their own at home.  I don't think I'll get to the point where I'm doing anything in HD, but I do have a personal interest in animation, and using hi-res still images for high quality 2-D animation.  I have lots of ideas, but not many resources.. so i'm starting small and trying to build something over time.

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:19 AM, Lukasz Jastrzebski <[hidden email]> wrote:
What will be the resolutions you want to aim in? VGA for your blog?
HD? Beta? And what quality?

If your target is high quality output or producing some heavy (long/hi
res) material, so you need to work on lossless or hi-res video - you
may consider network storage with something like several dozens TB of
maximum disk space and some kind of network backbone data piping
solution (such kind you can add disks when its needed without fiddling
with RAID configuration and that has really fast networking solution).
Choosing RAID type for matrix and to have or not to have additional
backup storage (like DVDs) is another thing to consider. Not much use
when you're doing YT-like vlog, but necessary if you're into any
serious, more demanding job and you need to store some lossless data
in 1 or 2 years span.
This can be "pro" grade matrix, or a recycled PC with a bunch of SATA
drives and some extra networking cards - anything from 50 Euro up.

To have or not to have smooth video preview is a minor problem, when
editing most of the "big" things the disk operations times are
critical.

What you need depends what size of input/output data you're targeting
at, how many things you wish to do at a given time and how much
editing do you actually need to do.

Cheers,
Luke

2010/5/7 grant centauri <[hidden email]>:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently been exploring cinellera and the possibilities of using a
> linux box as a video editing studio.  I've got an older machine that i'm
> slowly trying to get up to snuff, its a 2.9GHz processor, 1.6 gigs of ram
> and an outdated nvidia card (for which openGL is not supported by the new
> X11).
>
> I'm looking into getting myself a new video card so that I can efficiently
> view video I am editing, and possibly for actually importing video from
> analog sources.  I am also curious about how to optimize a video editing
> setup and thought maybe some of you would have tips or starting points for
> me.  Right now I'm using cinellera under the latest Linux Mint distro, but
> I've also got a pure:dyne setup that is obviously a bit more stripped down,
> and am considering using it as a starting point.
>
> So if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should look for or what works
> well, please let me know.  I'd like to try and get near a professional level
> using consumer level (mostly purchased from craigslist) hardware.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Grant

nescivi nescivi

Re: [puredyne] OT: Building a decent video editing setup

Hiho,

On Thursday 13 May 2010 18:28:41 grant centauri wrote:

> i think eventually your setup will make sense for what i'm considering.  i
> am currently teaching middle schoolers (and myself) the basics of movie
> making, video editing, and multimedia creation.  Right now I'm stuck using
>  a very limited setup on the school's iMacs.  iMovie, Garageband and so
>  on... I'd like to teach kids how to use computers for creative projects
>  and media creation opposed to Microsoft and entertainment.  And I'd love
>  to use FLOSS and recycled hardware so that the people I work with who are
>  low-income can have access to a setup of their own at home.  I don't think
>  I'll get to the point where I'm doing anything in HD, but I do have a
>  personal interest in animation, and using hi-res still images for high
>  quality 2-D animation.  I have lots of ideas, but not many resources.. so
>  i'm starting small and trying to build something over time.

sounds like a great project!

For animation, check out Animata. I think that could be especially cool to use
with kids!
It's mostly meant for realtime stuff, so no rendering out to video... you
could do a screencast though.

sincerely,
Marije