[puredyne] Newbie questions

John Schmitt John Schmitt

[puredyne] Newbie questions

Hi list,

after years and years of music making on Windows and MacOS I'm ready to try it on Linux, mainly because Apple is starting to annoy me as much as Microsoft did before I switched.

Anyway, here's what I want to do:

I'd like to use my laptop as a low latency live audio processing environment (Supercollider, maybe in combination with Ardour which I haven't tried yet but which looks nice for mixing)

I'd like to control SC (and Ardour) through a midi/usb interface and possibly over wifi using OSC.

Here's what I got:

- a Thinkpad T42.
- a Dawicontrol dw-1394 pcmcia firewire card with TI chipset (no info about this stuff on the net).
- an Echo Audiofire 4 Audiocard with midi interface (described as fully supported on the ffado list).
- an Akai LPD8 midi over usb interface
- an iPod touch
- a Wiimote

I've downloaded the latest Puredyne live cd, connected and turned on my Firewire interface and booted the T42. I started Jack which gave me an error starting up. In the configuration page there was a pulldown device list with some strange names. Then I opened SC vim and I didn't even manage to type "{SinOsc.ar}.play"
It was pure frustration. I didn't understand a thing. I heard, Emacs is even harder to learn. WTF???? Is there a decent text editor for Linux? (intentional polemic ;-))

My questions:

- Is there a chance I can do what I want with Puredyne or should I just give up and go back into the cozy arms of corporatism?
- If the answer to the first question is yes, can someone give me some clues as to how to achieve it?
- Is there a text editor that's actually usable with SC?
- If yes, how????

Thanks a lot in advance,
Axel

Re: [puredyne] Newbie questions

Hi Axel (or John?) -

2011/1/3 John Schmitt <[hidden email]>:
> Hi list,
>
> after years and years of music making on Windows and MacOS I'm ready to try
> it on Linux, mainly because Apple is starting to annoy me as much as
> Microsoft did before I switched.

Yeah I know - I was on Apple for years, but I'm really getting to the
point of being embarrassed to still have some Apple equipment.

> Anyway, here's what I want to do:
>
> I'd like to use my laptop as a low latency live audio processing environment
> (Supercollider, maybe in combination with Ardour which I haven't tried yet
> but which looks nice for mixing)
>
> I'd like to control SC (and Ardour) through a midi/usb interface and
> possibly over wifi using OSC.
>
> Here's what I got:
>
> - a Thinkpad T42.
> - a Dawicontrol dw-1394 pcmcia firewire card with TI chipset (no info about
> this stuff on the net).
> - an Echo Audiofire 4 Audiocard with midi interface (described as fully
> supported on the ffado list).
> - an Akai LPD8 midi over usb interface
> - an iPod touch
> - a Wiimote
>
> I've downloaded the latest Puredyne live cd, connected and turned on my
> Firewire interface and booted the T42. I started Jack which gave me an error
> starting up.

I don't know much about firewire interfaces I'm afraid since I don't
have fw here - but check the archives, there's been some useful
conversation about getting fw audio working nicely. e.g.
http://lists.goto10.org/pipermail/puredyne/2010-April/003661.html

But it's really worth saying what the error message *was* - someone
might understand it and know what to suggest.

> In the configuration page there was a pulldown device list with
> some strange names. Then I opened SC vim and I didn't even manage to type
> "{SinOsc.ar}.play"
> It was pure frustration. I didn't understand a thing. I heard, Emacs is even
> harder to learn. WTF???? Is there a decent text editor for Linux?
> (intentional polemic ;-))

Well both vim and emacs are genuinely very good, but neither of them
is immediately obvious since they use keyboard commands that won't be
familiar to people at first. For example, your vim issue was probably
that you didn't know that you press 'i' to go into insert mode
(allowing you to type text) and Escape to go out of insert mode. Vim
and emacs are the choice of many power-users - you can take that to
mean either that they're probably worth learning, or maybe they're
just geeky enough to earn geek cred ;)

If you want a text editor that's more like the msword-type mainstream,
look at gedit. It's nice, and it also has a supercollider "mode", so
it might be right up your street. Personally I use scvim so I don't
know the exact details in gedit, but you do something like choose the
supercollider plugin once you've started gedit. (In puredyne it should
be installed already)

HTH
Dan

> My questions:
>
> - Is there a chance I can do what I want with Puredyne or should I just give
> up and go back into the cozy arms of corporatism?
> - If the answer to the first question is yes, can someone give me some clues
> as to how to achieve it?
> - Is there a text editor that's actually usable with SC?
> - If yes, how????
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
> Axel

Re: [puredyne] Newbie questions

you might be better of he cosy arms of corporation !

vi is one of the most powerful editor ~ you better start leaning it
now if you want to play in linux
puredyne would work perfectly for what you want to do - you just need
a ounce more of patience
and some time aside for learning time.

for sc - you have to make sure jack work
for jack to work, you have to make sure alsa is not taking over your sound card
(alsamixer is your friend there)

It's also easier to get help in the different forum about different
software - there are a lot of online help for
jack and sc and vim ~

I can help you get started if you are willing to give it a try ;)

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:36 AM, John Schmitt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> after years and years of music making on Windows and MacOS I'm ready to try
> it on Linux, mainly because Apple is starting to annoy me as much as
> Microsoft did before I switched.
>
> Anyway, here's what I want to do:
>
> I'd like to use my laptop as a low latency live audio processing environment
> (Supercollider, maybe in combination with Ardour which I haven't tried yet
> but which looks nice for mixing)
>
> I'd like to control SC (and Ardour) through a midi/usb interface and
> possibly over wifi using OSC.
>
> Here's what I got:
>
> - a Thinkpad T42.
> - a Dawicontrol dw-1394 pcmcia firewire card with TI chipset (no info about
> this stuff on the net).
> - an Echo Audiofire 4 Audiocard with midi interface (described as fully
> supported on the ffado list).
> - an Akai LPD8 midi over usb interface
> - an iPod touch
> - a Wiimote
>
> I've downloaded the latest Puredyne live cd, connected and turned on my
> Firewire interface and booted the T42. I started Jack which gave me an error
> starting up. In the configuration page there was a pulldown device list with
> some strange names. Then I opened SC vim and I didn't even manage to type
> "{SinOsc.ar}.play"
> It was pure frustration. I didn't understand a thing. I heard, Emacs is even
> harder to learn. WTF???? Is there a decent text editor for Linux?
> (intentional polemic ;-))
>
> My questions:
>
> - Is there a chance I can do what I want with Puredyne or should I just give
> up and go back into the cozy arms of corporatism?
> - If the answer to the first question is yes, can someone give me some clues
> as to how to achieve it?
> - Is there a text editor that's actually usable with SC?
> - If yes, how????
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
> Axel

Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Re: [puredyne] Newbie questions

I second what Dan S said about gedit.... just looked it up and the plugin is called "Sced" and it is installed on puredyne (9.11 atleast).

That being said, I have to point out that you said you were "ready to try" on Linux. I understand the frustration, but if you are ready to give up after not being able to understand vim your first try, you won't last long =)

What was the error message in JACK? Copy/paste the error from the window message... Did you have "firewire" selected as your driver?

Also... reading this (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=740385) doesn't make your situation look very good. This was posted in June 2009 so it may be different now, but it looks like a hassle setting this card up in Linux. That being said post the Jack error and make sure "firewire" driver is selected.

Tyler

davebritton davebritton

Tyler Leavitt wrote:
> I second what Dan S said about gedit.... just looked it up and the
> plugin is called "Sced" and it is installed on puredyne (9.11 atleast).
gedit is about as easy as a text editor can get. It's notepad for linux,
only better.

Axel wrote:

My questions:

> - Is there a chance I can do what I want with Puredyne or should I just give
> up and go back into the cozy arms of corporatism?
Yes and no.

> - If the answer to the first question is yes, can someone give me some clues
> as to how to achieve it?
see below

> - Is there a text editor that's actually usable with SC?
yup,

> - If yes, how????
like this:

I'm running SC with gedit under puredyne 9.11, so all of this works for me:

Start gedit from the Accessories group of the main menu, then click
Tools to see if you have "supercollider mode" installed. If not, get
"supercollider-gedit" via synaptic package manager (main menu/System).
When you have gedit with supercollider mode available under tools, just
click on the select box to activate it. You will see a double panel -
the top is your editor, the lower one is the supercollider text output
where "postln" sends its text. Type in a supercollider command, select
it by highlighting or just put the mouse on that single line, and press
Ctl-E, and the command will be executed. Try these lines:

s.boot;
{SinOsc.ar}.play;

That s.boot starts the SC server, without which SinOsc makes neither
signal nor noise.

You should have gotten the graphical server displays installed (SwingOSC
gui) when you installed SC in puredyne, and if so they will have
appeared in the lower left of your screen when you started SC by
clicking on Supercollider Mode. (You can start the SC server by clicking
the gui boot button instead of executing s.boot.) If not, the server
control commands are available in gedit within its newly appearing
Supercollider menu selection, and later you should figure out how to get
them installed correctly.

Now proceed to the supercollider main help page that is installed on
your puredyne machine at (browse to:)
file:///usr/share/SuperCollider/Help/Help.html

and work through the tutorials. Also, get yourself signed up on the SC
mailing list, and use that for SC newbie questions instead of the
puredyne list cause people will know more.
http://supercollider.sourceforge.net//
http://www.beast.bham.ac.uk/research/sc_mailing_lists.shtml

Good luck with all this - the SC community is great, but the language is
tough to get your head around at first. Stay with it, and try to figure
out why the examples work, what they are doing.

-Dave

davebritton davebritton

Re: [puredyne] Newbie questions

I just booted from a puredyne 9.11 live disc to test your situation, and
discovered that I forgot to include this in my instructions:

after you start gedit, click Edit/Preferences, then Plugins, then
Supercollider mode. Now you can see Supercollider mode in the Tools
menu. Gedit and Supercollider come on the live iso, and seem to work out
of the box, although the SwingOsc gui did not display. (no biggie, just
boot the server from the s.boot command or the gedit Supercollider menu
option "start server".) To get the help system you can also use the
gedit/Supercollider menu choice "Find Help" (or Ctl-U) instead of
browsing to it. Also, after you start playing sound by clicking Ctl-E on
the line {SinOsc.ar}.play; you can stop the sound by pressing Esc.

Dave Britton wrote:

> I'm running SC with gedit under puredyne 9.11, so all of this works
> for me:
>
> Start gedit from the Accessories group of the main menu, then click
> Tools to see if you have "supercollider mode" installed. If not, get
> "supercollider-gedit" via synaptic package manager (main menu/System).
> When you have gedit with supercollider mode available under tools,
> just click on the select box to activate it. You will see a double
> panel - the top is your editor, the lower one is the supercollider
> text output where "postln" sends its text. Type in a supercollider
> command, select it by highlighting or just put the mouse on that
> single line, and press Ctl-E, and the command will be executed. Try
> these lines:
>
> s.boot;
> {SinOsc.ar}.play;
>
> That s.boot starts the SC server, without which SinOsc makes neither
> signal nor noise.
>
> You should have gotten the graphical server displays installed
> (SwingOSC gui) when you installed SC in puredyne, and if so they will
> have appeared in the lower left of your screen when you started SC by
> clicking on Supercollider Mode. (You can start the SC server by
> clicking the gui boot button instead of executing s.boot.) If not, the
> server control commands are available in gedit within its newly
> appearing Supercollider menu selection, and later you should figure
> out how to get them installed correctly.
>
> Now proceed to the supercollider main help page that is installed on
> your puredyne machine at (browse to:)
> file:///usr/share/SuperCollider/Help/Help.html
>
> and work through the tutorials. Also, get yourself signed up on the SC
> mailing list, and use that for SC newbie questions instead of the
> puredyne list cause people will know more.
> http://supercollider.sourceforge.net//
> http://www.beast.bham.ac.uk/research/sc_mailing_lists.shtml
>
> Good luck with all this - the SC community is great, but the language
> is tough to get your head around at first. Stay with it, and try to
> figure out why the examples work, what they are doing.
>
> -Dave

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] Newbie questions

At Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:36:46 -0800 (PST),
John Schmitt wrote:
> It was pure frustration. I didn't understand a thing. I heard, Emacs is even harder to learn.

That's a YMMV... which is why different editors stick around. Some people love vim (while I find hopelessly confusing) and hate Emacs (which I've grown to like so much that I even use it for e-mail now).

I started using Emacs for supercollider because I need to be able to resolve relative paths (against the document containing the text that's currently being executed). AFAIK that's supported only in sc.app on Mac and scel (sc+emacs). I had all the worries about how hard it is to learn, but I needed the feature so I dove in and found... I really like it!

Emacs' keyword completion and quick lookup of method arguments are better than in other editors IMO.

A few weeks ago on the sc-users mailing list, I posted a quick summary of the editing key bindings I use most often. If you learn these dozen or so, you'll be able to do basically all the normal text editing operations, in not much time. The learning curve is not so much that the commands don't exist -- it's that they're buried among literally thousands of commands and when you approach Emacs for the first time, sifting out the few critical commands is not easy (and the terminology is different). I hoped that a quick cheatsheet would help with that initial stage. (It did help at least one sc user, who posted within a couple of weeks that he also started to like Emacs!)

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.supercollider.user/67167

James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

John Schmitt John Schmitt

Re: [puredyne] Newbie questions

first of all, many thanks for all your answers. I'll respond in seperate posts about seperate issues.

Dave, I booted Puredyne again without the Audiofire on, booted Jack (without error) and ran gedit in SC mode. SC started up without the server gui as you said. So I typed s.boot and hit cntrl-e, but nothing happened. Selecting 'evaluate' from the menu did work and I started up the server and produced sound :-)

But the keyboard commands seem broken. cntrl-a does nothing, cntrl-u erases the current line, while cntrl-z and escape do actually work as expected. I switched the keyboard layout to german as I'm used to, but the issue remains.

Cheers,
Axel (not John, I'm having issues with my usual mailing list address, so, sorry for the confusion)

Dave Britton wrote:

> I'm running SC with gedit under puredyne 9.11, so all of this works for me:
>
> Start gedit from the Accessories group of the main menu, then click Tools to see if you have "supercollider mode" installed. If not, get "supercollider-gedit" via synaptic package manager (main menu/System). When you have gedit with supercollider mode available under tools, just click on the select box to activate it. You will see a double panel - the top is your editor, the lower one is the supercollider text output where "postln" sends its text. Type in a supercollider command, select it by highlighting or just put the mouse on that single line, and press Ctl-E, and the command will be executed. Try these lines:
>
> s.boot;
> {SinOsc.ar}.play;
>
> That s.boot starts the SC server, without which SinOsc makes neither signal nor noise.
>
> You should have gotten the graphical server displays installed (SwingOSC gui) when you installed SC in puredyne, and if so they will have appeared in the lower left of your screen when you started SC by clicking on Supercollider Mode. (You can start the SC server by clicking the gui boot button instead of executing s.boot.) If not, the server control commands are available in gedit within its newly appearing Supercollider menu selection, and later you should figure out how to get them installed correctly.
>
> Now proceed to the supercollider main help page that is installed on your puredyne machine at (browse to:)
> file:///usr/share/SuperCollider/Help/Help.html
>
> and work through the tutorials. Also, get yourself signed up on the SC mailing list, and use that for SC newbie questions instead of the puredyne list cause people will know more.
> http://supercollider.sourceforge.net//
> http://www.beast.bham.ac.uk/research/sc_mailing_lists.shtml
>
> Good luck with all this - the SC community is great, but the language is tough to get your head around at first. Stay with it, and try to figure out why the examples work, what they are doing.
>
> -Dave

John Schmitt John Schmitt

Re: [puredyne] Newbie questions

I rebooted with the Audiofire 4 connected and switched on. The second attempt
worked after at first it hung at "creating new user" (or something).

I selected 'Firewire' and 'hw:0' in Jack settings. This is the message I get:

---------------------
Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable

to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info
jackd 0.116.1
01117948301: (ffado.cpp)[ 92] ffado_sreaming_init: libffado 1.999.43 built Sep
17 2009 20:03:51
firewire ERR: Error creating FFADO streaming device
cannot load driver module firewire
------------------------

On the ffado.org website there are articles about some older version of ffado
not working with some "new firewire stack". Does anyone know what this is about
and what I need to do to make it work?

Btw. I typed lspci in a Terminal and it looks like the system is seeing my
firewire connection.

Cheers,
Axel

________________________________
> [...]

>just geeky enough to earn geek cred ;)
>
>If you want a text editor that's more like the msword-type mainstream,
>look at gedit. It's nice, and it also has a supercollider "mode", so
>it might be right up your street. Personally I use scvim so I don't
>know the exact details in gedit, but you do something like choose the
>supercollider plugin once you've started gedit. (In puredyne it should
>be installed already)
>
>HTH
>Dan
>

>> My questions:
>>
>> - Is there a chance I can do what I want with Puredyne or should I just give
>> up and go back into the cozy arms of corporatism?
>> - If the answer to the first question is yes, can someone give me some clues
>> as to how to achieve it?
>> - Is there a text editor that's actually usable with SC?

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] Newbie questions

At Mon, 3 Jan 2011 23:53:10 -0800 (PST),
John Schmitt wrote:
> But the keyboard commands seem broken. cntrl-a does nothing, cntrl-u erases the current line,
> while cntrl-z and escape do actually work as expected. I switched the keyboard layout to german as
> I'm used to, but the issue remains.

I think I remember something about this -- I started with puredyne 9.10, which ships with Emacs-like key bindings enabled for all applications. Really annoyed me at first. I think this was changed sometime later.

Anyway, have a look at this: Main menu (Swiss knife icon) > Settings > Settings Editor. Then choose xsettings at left, expand Gtk in the property list and look for KeyThemeName. If it isn't set to Default, change it and see if it makes a difference. I don't remember if it was necessary to log out and log back in again.

If that's not it, then... I don't know :(

hjh

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

John Schmitt John Schmitt

Re: [puredyne] Newbie questions

Hi again,

It was suggested that I stick to it and work a bit to get it to run. The problem
is: I don't have a clue about what to do next. And without any further help I'll
have to suspend my Linux plans. The very first and most important thing is to
get my ("fully supported") firewire interface to work. But how?

Is there a chance to make it work if I install the system to disk and update
ffado myself? What are the odds? Would you help me should I get stuck?

Can anyone comment on the problems I described in my earlier email? And if not:
Are there better places to ask about those?

Originally, I decided to try puredyne because it seemed the only Linux audio
distro that has Supercollider preinstalled. Also, I'm all for a llightweight
window system. But maybe a distro with more frequently updated sources will be
better after all.

But with this, I need assistence.

Btw, does anyone here use firewire audio without problems? If yes, what's your
config/hardware?

Many questions, I know.

Cheers,
Axel