[puredyne] Newb question about Macbook and wireless

Clifford Dunn Clifford Dunn

[puredyne] Newb question about Macbook and wireless

Hi!

Very new to Puredyne, but somewhat familiar with Ubuntu but still
pretty new with Linux in general.

I decided I like the way Puredyne works enough to install it on my
MacBook as a dual boot. So far, it works, but I haven't been able to
use my wifi. With Ubuntu, it works right out of the box....Google
seems to be leading me down paths that seem rather complicated. I'm
willing to follow complicated paths, but am I the only person using a
MacBook with this problem?

Thanks!
Clifford Dunn
Flutist/Composer
http://www.clifforddunnmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/clifforddunn
http://www.youtube.com/user/beatleboy07

Re: [puredyne] Newb question about Macbook and wireless

Its a proprietary driver problem.  MacBooks sometimes use a Broadcom card that requires firmware to be installed.  Ubuntu must include it, but Puredyne doesn't since it is non-free.

try lspci | grep broadcom or just lspci and see what kind of wireless card you have.  if broadcom then:

I haven't done this in a while, and it is still a bit confusing.  There are some broadcom related packages you can find if you add contrib and non-free to your /etc/apt/sources list.  In debian, I was able to just install the package which takes care of all the steps of downloading the source, building the modules and installing them.  If that doesn't work for you, try getting the source from broadcom and installing it manually.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

see what you can figure out.  If its not broadcom, then its probably some other proprietary card that needs a non-free driver.

-grant

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Clifford Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

Very new to Puredyne, but somewhat familiar with Ubuntu but still
pretty new with Linux in general.

I decided I like the way Puredyne works enough to install it on my
MacBook as a dual boot. So far, it works, but I haven't been able to
use my wifi. With Ubuntu, it works right out of the box....Google
seems to be leading me down paths that seem rather complicated. I'm
willing to follow complicated paths, but am I the only person using a
MacBook with this problem?

Thanks!
Clifford Dunn
Flutist/Composer
http://www.clifforddunnmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/clifforddunn
http://www.youtube.com/user/beatleboy07

Clifford Dunn Clifford Dunn

Re: [puredyne] Newb question about Macbook and wireless

Thanks Grant! Following these links helped immensely. I'm now running
off my wireless card. So far, PureDyne is everything I've been wanting
in an OS. I'm going to keep playing and see if I can get all the
programs working to my liking.