[puredyne] Motion detection packages

ddw_music ddw_music

[puredyne] Motion detection packages

I'm starting to look into some motion detection techniques. I got some distance with pure data + gridflow (the [#motion_detection] object behaves quite nicely -- it takes the difference between frames but includes some other tweaks for a cleaner signal).

But what I really wanted to do was divide the image into nine blocks, run motion detection independently on each one, and have information about where in the frame the motion is happening and also movement from region to region. That became a problem, largely because gridflow's documentation has to rank among the worst I've ever seen. (Such as: "Inlet 2: crosshairs." Oh, very nice. Yes, out of the thousands of possible things that could mean, we're to psychically divine the one that is actually correct.)

So I'm looking for recommendations on other open-source approaches. OpenCV+processing maybe, but for some reason willowgarage.com is blocked on the mainland (so I have to rely on a proxy that isn't always stable). That means learning another computer language on short order, not sure I have time.

Can anybody think of something that would be closer to what I have in mind out of the box? Just to save me some development time reinventing the wheel.

Thanks,
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

Jonathan Wilkes Jonathan Wilkes

Re: [puredyne] Motion detection packages

> I'm starting to look into some motion detection techniques. I got some
> distance with pure data + gridflow (the [#motion_detection] object behaves quite
> nicely -- it takes the difference between frames but includes some other tweaks
> for a cleaner signal).
>
> But what I really wanted to do was divide the image into nine blocks, run motion
> detection independently on each one, and have information about where in the
> frame the motion is happening and also movement from region to region. That
> became a problem, largely because gridflow's documentation has to rank among
> the worst I've ever seen. (Such as: "Inlet 2: crosshairs." Oh,
> very nice. Yes, out of the thousands of possible things that could mean,
> we're to psychically divine the one that is actually correct.)

Unfortunately, that's fairly verbose documentation for a pure data external.  (But it looks to
me like it's Inlet 4-- which version of Gridflow are you using?)

You might try posting this on the pd-list at [hidden email] .  The GF author reads/posts
there and can probably flesh out the documentation directly.

> So I'm looking for recommendations on other open-source approaches.
> OpenCV+processing maybe, but for some reason willowgarage.com is blocked on the
> mainland (so I have to rely on a proxy that isn't always stable). That means
> learning another computer language on short order, not sure I have time.
>
> Can anybody think of something that would be closer to what I have in mind out
> of the box? Just to save me some development time reinventing the wheel.
>
> Thanks,
> James
>

> --
> James Harkins /// dewdrop world
> [hidden email]
> http://www.dewdrop-world.net
>
> "Come said the Muse,
> Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
> Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman
>
> blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
> audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
> more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks

Marko Cebokli Marko Cebokli

Re: [puredyne] Motion detection packages

Maybe these could be of use:

http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

http://www.zoneminder.com/

Marko Cebokli

On Sunday 11 September 2011 05:30:48 Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> [...]
palmieri, ricardo palmieri, ricardo

Re: [puredyne] Motion detection packages

and this?

http://www.hangar.org/wikis/lab/doku.php?id=start:puredata_opencv

2011/9/11 Marko Cebokli <[hidden email]>
Maybe these could be of use:

http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

http://www.zoneminder.com/

Marko Cebokli

On Sunday 11 September 2011 05:30:48 Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

twitt-me: @ricardopalmieri
mobile# +551185833173
[memelab.com.br]
[palm.estudiolivre.org]
[myspace.com/livenoisetupi]
[skype:palmieriricardo]
[msn: [hidden email]]
[linux user # 392484]

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] Motion detection packages

At Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:05:31 -0300,
palmieri, ricardo wrote:
> and this?
>
> http://www.hangar.org/wikis/lab/doku.php?id=start:puredata_opencv

Oh, interesting. Thanks (and thanks to Marko for the other suggestions).

I got another idea this morning -- instead of slicing the frame and running a bunch of motion detectors, run one motion_detection object on the whole frame and slice that result. The problem was that motion detection is stateful (depends on previous frames) so I would have to have a separate object for each slice, but the [#moment] calculation is not. That should simplify the patch a lot.

James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

Julian Brooks Julian Brooks

Re: [puredyne] Motion detection packages

Hi James,

Bit late on this but I have had good results from William Brent's 'pix_motion_sector'
http://williambrent.conflations.com/pages/research.html

Cheers,

Julian

On 12 September 2011 02:29, James Harkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
At Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:05:31 -0300,
Oh, interesting. Thanks (and thanks to Marko for the other suggestions).

I got another idea this morning -- instead of slicing the frame and running a bunch of motion detectors, run one motion_detection object on the whole frame and slice that result. The problem was that motion detection is stateful (depends on previous frames) so I would have to have a separate object for each slice, but the [#moment] calculation is not. That should simplify the patch a lot.

James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

Benjamin ~ 01xy Benjamin ~ 01xy

Re: [puredyne] Motion detection packages

Hello,

maybe another way to do it is to use [pix_crop] object in GEM as in this
example (motion checked by a color approach, it can also be done with
[pix_movement])
http://yamatierea.org/papatchs/#detc-mvt
or pidip object [pdp_mgrid] (see example in pdextended)
of course, opencv objects are also really efficient for some kinds of
motion detection

best++
Benjamin

James Harkins a écrit :

> At Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:05:31 -0300,
> palmieri, ricardo wrote:
>
>> and this?
>>
>> http://www.hangar.org/wikis/lab/doku.php?id=start:puredata_opencv
>>

> Oh, interesting. Thanks (and thanks to Marko for the other suggestions).
>
> I got another idea this morning -- instead of slicing the frame and running a bunch of motion detectors, run one motion_detection object on the whole frame and slice that result. The problem was that motion detection is stateful (depends on previous frames) so I would have to have a separate object for each slice, but the [#moment] calculation is not. That should simplify the patch a lot.
>
> James
>

> --
> James Harkins /// dewdrop world
> [hidden email]
> http://www.dewdrop-world.net
>
> "Come said the Muse,
> Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
> Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman
>
> blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
> audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
> more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] Motion detection packages

At Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:02:46 +0200,
Benjamin ~ 01xy wrote:
> maybe another way to do it is to use [pix_crop] object in GEM as in this
> example (motion checked by a color approach, it can also be done with
> [pix_movement])
> http://yamatierea.org/papatchs/#detc-mvt
> or pidip object [pdp_mgrid] (see example in pdextended)
> of course, opencv objects are also really efficient for some kinds of
> motion detection

Cool, thanks.

Anyway, the last approach I was thinking of (motion detection > slicing instead of the other way around) turned out to work marvelously.

http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words/motion_detect_small.avi

Screenshot of the pd patch is on my blog (link is in the signature).

Thanks for the suggestions, all --
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

Julian Brooks Julian Brooks

Re: [puredyne] Motion detection packages

Hey James,

Yay, very nice, looks good.

Care to share the patch?

Julian

Benjamin ~ 01xy wrote:
> maybe another way to do it is to use [pix_crop] object in GEM as in this
> example (motion checked by a color approach, it can also be done with
> [pix_movement])
> http://yamatierea.org/papatchs/#detc-mvt
> or pidip object [pdp_mgrid] (see example in pdextended)
> of course, opencv objects are also really efficient for some kinds of
> motion detection

Cool, thanks.

Anyway, the last approach I was thinking of (motion detection > slicing instead of the other way around) turned out to work marvelously.

http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words/motion_detect_small.avi

Screenshot of the pd patch is on my blog (link is in the signature).

Thanks for the suggestions, all --
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] Motion detection packages

At Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:40:53 +0100,
Julian Brooks wrote:
> Hey James,
>
> Yay, very nice, looks good.
>
> Care to share the patch?

Sure, attached. Just don't look inside [pd iter2d] -- no segmented patch cords = head will explode.

[pd send_osc] specifies SuperCollider's default listening port. Change it as you need. (The red-blob window is in SuperCollider -- I knew it would take me less time to do it in SC than to puzzle over [#seq_fold].)

James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

frame-diff5.pd (6K) Download Attachment
sc_motion_receiver.scd (884 bytes) Download Attachment