[puredyne] Hardware clock gets changed

Doug Edmunds Doug Edmunds

[puredyne] Hardware clock gets changed

I have XP on the laptop, and recently installed
Puredyne linux on a bootable flashdrive.

Puredyne changes the hardware clock on the laptop,
so that when I run XP, I have to resync the clock to a
time server every time.  Puredyne is advancing the
hardware clock, so it reads 7pm instead of 12 noon when
I am using XP.

What do I need to do/set in linux so that it doesn't change
the internal clock?  Is there a gui program I can install?

(Please, no guesses!).

== Doug Edmunds

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] Hardware clock gets changed

This is a general thing with Ubuntu, probably other Linux flavors as well.

I don't have a definite solution. I always just assumed that Windows is doing it wrong :-)  (and use win only when I have to)

It might work to set the Linux time zone to Greenwich mean time (that is, it isn't the clock that's being advanced -- I think it's just that Linux and Windows disagree about how to handle time zones).

Oh wait, sorry, that's a guess! Well, it might be the best anyone can do.
James

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Doug Edmunds <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have XP on the laptop, and recently installed
Puredyne linux on a bootable flashdrive.

Puredyne changes the hardware clock on the laptop,
so that when I run XP, I have to resync the clock to a
time server every time.  Puredyne is advancing the
hardware clock, so it reads 7pm instead of 12 noon when
I am using XP.

What do I need to do/set in linux so that it doesn't change
the internal clock?  Is there a gui program I can install?

(Please, no guesses!).

== Doug Edmunds

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

Claude Heiland-Allen Claude Heiland-Allen

Re: [puredyne] Hardware clock gets changed

Hi Doug,

On 02/09/10 04:25, James Harkins wrote:
> This is a general thing with Ubuntu, probably other Linux flavors as well.

The cause of the problem is:

Linux   assumes hardware clock is UTC/GMT
Windows assumes hardware clock is local time

So they fight with each other.

This fix might work for you (let us know):

edit /etc/default/rcS to change UTC=yes to UTC=no

(found this tip here:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/236531-38-linux-changing-bios-clock#t860725
)

But, probably Puredyne shouldn't make any changes to the hardware clock,
at least when running as a live system - apparently it does currently...

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Doug Edmunds<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I have XP on the laptop, and recently installed
>> Puredyne linux on a bootable flashdrive.
>>
>> Puredyne changes the hardware clock on the laptop,
>> so that when I run XP, I have to resync the clock to a
>> time server every time.  Puredyne is advancing the
>> hardware clock, so it reads 7pm instead of 12 noon when
>> I am using XP.
>>
>> What do I need to do/set in linux so that it doesn't change
>> the internal clock?  Is there a gui program I can install?
>>
>> (Please, no guesses!).
>>
>> == Doug Edmunds

Claude
--