[puredyne] FLOSS Philosophy & Current Puredyne Impasse

Julian Brooks Julian Brooks

[puredyne] FLOSS Philosophy & Current Puredyne Impasse

Hi all,

This isn't going to be an easy email to write and no-doubt for the GOTO10 people even more difficult to answer.

Firstly I would like to say that myself and very many of our community are full of admiration and respect for the creation of Puredyne.  It's been a fantastic tool and having recently been working with more generic Ubuntu I can appreciate even more how slick, well tuned and truly portable it is.  This is on top of all the appreciation for the pragmatic introduction that Puredyne, and for me Pure Data as well, has been into FLOSS.

I am currently starting to think that the ship is sinking and am not sure what to do about it.  Currently it isn't possible to recommend the OS for workshops and other such stuff due to the lack of support, particularly being so out of step with the Ubuntu repositories.  For Pure Data use it has been really tricky attempting to install the recent version, which I have needed for some of the new features for example (I actually currently have a broken install that I'm loath to wipe due to amount of tweaks it's had).

There was some weirdness going on last year and it appears that Aymeric is no longer particularly involved, has the lack of a 'benevolent dictator' been a part of this - we don't know.  It all feels a bit rudderless and lost atm tbh, does it really take 18 months to fix the issue with installing the last test release?

In keeping with the FLOSS philosophy which you have demonstrated so well so far, perhaps it's time to be up front with the rest of the community.
Where are we at with this?

Like I said, this is meant with respect, maybe it's at least time to have a public discussion and be upfront.

All good wishes to all,

Julian

Re: [puredyne] FLOSS Philosophy & Current Puredyne Impasse

Hi,

Yes, what you say makes sense. It's often difficult in FLOSS to be
sure about beginnings and endings, boundaries etc. The development
team has been facing up to the lack of development in recent weeks and
has been drafting a letter to the puredyne community. I will now post
this letter to the list...

Dan