[puredyne] Changing the Xfce desktop to an gnome desktop

Ralf Jung Ralf Jung

[puredyne] Changing the Xfce desktop to an gnome desktop

I made a harddisk installation of the puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-CD-i386.iso and it is runnung very dood. Now I want to change the standard Xfce desktop to the gnome-core desktop. I  loaded the packages down via synaptic. How can I switch the desktop's. Had anybody done it before and can help me?

Thank`s in advance

ralf

Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Re: [puredyne] Changing the Xfce desktop to an gnome desktop

make a .xinitrc file in your home folder that contains this:

#!/bin/bash
exec gnome-session

and that should be it

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Ralf Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
I made a harddisk installation of the puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-CD-i386.iso and it is runnung very dood. Now I want to change the standard Xfce desktop to the gnome-core desktop. I  loaded the packages down via synaptic. How can I switch the desktop's. Had anybody done it before and can help me?

Thank`s in advance

ralf

enrike enrike

Re: [puredyne] Changing the Xfce desktop to an gnome desktop

i think you can also just select gnome in the login. There are some
menus at the bottom in the login, one of them allows you to choose from
all desktop managers available (in your case gnome and XFCE). Once you
choose one of them it should be the default one until you choose another
one. I guess in the end this just changes the .xinitrc

I use fluxbox for example but sometimes i like to do certain things from
Xfce.

enrike

al., 2010.eko ekaren 21a 21:49(e)an, Tyler Leavitt(e)k idatzi zuen:

Antonios Galanopoulos Antonios Galanopoulos

Tyler Leavitt said :
> make a .xinitrc file in your home folder that contains this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> exec *gnome*-session
>
> and that should be it

This will work only if you use 'startx' to start X. If you use the
graphical login manager, which is most likely what Ralf is doing then
no.

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Ralf Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I made a harddisk installation of the
> > puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-CD-i386.iso and it is runnung very dood.
> > Now I want to change the standard Xfce desktop to the gnome-core desktop. I
> > loaded the packages down via synaptic. How can I switch the desktop's. Had
> > anybody done it before and can help me?
> >
> > Thank`s in advance
> >
> > ralf
> >
> > ---
> > [hidden email]
> > http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> > irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

|'`'.           .''.            ..
|-----`.----.'------- '------------.
|       '..'           `.    '
|                        `..'

http://agagag.goto10.org

Ralf Jung Ralf Jung

Re: [puredyne] Changing the Xfce desktop to an gnome desktop

Hi,

I changed the default settings in the graphical login manager to show the list-fields in the status bar. Now its possible to change easy the environment during login as recommended by enrike.

Thanks for the quick help

ralf

2010/6/22 Antonios Galanopoulos <[hidden email]>
Hi,

Tyler Leavitt said :
> make a .xinitrc file in your home folder that contains this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> exec *gnome*-session
>
> and that should be it

This will work only if you use 'startx' to start X. If you use the
graphical login manager, which is most likely what Ralf is doing then
no.

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Ralf Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I made a harddisk installation of the
> > puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-CD-i386.iso and it is runnung very dood.
> > Now I want to change the standard Xfce desktop to the gnome-core desktop. I
> > loaded the packages down via synaptic. How can I switch the desktop's. Had
> > anybody done it before and can help me?
> >
> > Thank`s in advance
> >
> > ralf
> >
> > ---