[puredyne] Audio Preview

David Harris David Harris

[puredyne] Audio Preview

I love Pure:dyne, but I would much appreciate having an audio preview. Sometimes I use Mint 9 and I like how the Nautilus program will preview the audio if you hover your mouse over the audio file. This is essentual to me as I use a lot of samples and also create my own. Having an audio preview would be awesome as far as organizing my sample library. I'm not sure if I can tweak system or download something or whether an audio preview would have be something done done to the OS, but any help in this area would be most appreciated.

Re: [puredyne] Audio Preview

Hi - looks like it doesn't exist in Thunar (the xfce equivalent of
Nautilus), though the "thunar-thumbnailers" webpage says sometime
"soon" they would like to add audio thumbnails.

You could install Nautilus if you need that feature - that's all I can
think of to suggest. It does sound like a nice feature, although I
definitely wouldn't want it turned on while performing!

Dan

2010/10/25 David Harris <[hidden email]>:

> I love Pure:dyne, but I would much appreciate having an audio preview.
> Sometimes I use Mint 9 and I like how the Nautilus program will preview the
> audio if you hover your mouse over the audio file. This is essentual to me
> as I use a lot of samples and also create my own. Having an audio preview
> would be awesome as far as organizing my sample library. I'm not sure if I
> can tweak system or download something or whether an audio preview would
> have be something done done to the OS, but any help in this area would be
> most appreciated.

Bernardo Barros Bernardo Barros

Re: [puredyne] Audio Preview

I can think of other alternatives: midnight comander (mc), on console,
it plays using mplayer;
and emacs dired-mode pressing "!"

On KDE dolphin does it too, with a nice player on the side.

2010/10/25 Dan S <[hidden email]>:

> Hi - looks like it doesn't exist in Thunar (the xfce equivalent of
> Nautilus), though the "thunar-thumbnailers" webpage says sometime
> "soon" they would like to add audio thumbnails.
>
> You could install Nautilus if you need that feature - that's all I can
> think of to suggest. It does sound like a nice feature, although I
> definitely wouldn't want it turned on while performing!
>
> Dan
>

> 2010/10/25 David Harris <[hidden email]>:
>> I love Pure:dyne, but I would much appreciate having an audio preview.
>> Sometimes I use Mint 9 and I like how the Nautilus program will preview the
>> audio if you hover your mouse over the audio file. This is essentual to me
>> as I use a lot of samples and also create my own. Having an audio preview
>> would be awesome as far as organizing my sample library. I'm not sure if I
>> can tweak system or download something or whether an audio preview would
>> have be something done done to the OS, but any help in this area would be
>> most appreciated.

> http://www.mcld.co.uk

Re: [puredyne] Audio Preview

Another way would be using mocp ~ I was quite surprise how fast is
that little beast

It's console - but like midnight commander, really easy to navigate
and really responsive - you can change track in a split second without
delay

It's an audio player, but for browsing sample an listening to part of
them, it would be easy enough to have it open all the time.

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 6:58 AM, Bernardo Barros
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can think of other alternatives: midnight comander (mc), on console,
> it plays using mplayer;
> and emacs dired-mode pressing "!"
>
> On KDE dolphin does it too, with a nice player on the side.
>
> 2010/10/25 Dan S <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi - looks like it doesn't exist in Thunar (the xfce equivalent of
>> Nautilus), though the "thunar-thumbnailers" webpage says sometime
>> "soon" they would like to add audio thumbnails.
>>
>> You could install Nautilus if you need that feature - that's all I can
>> think of to suggest. It does sound like a nice feature, although I
>> definitely wouldn't want it turned on while performing!
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> 2010/10/25 David Harris <[hidden email]>:
>>> I love Pure:dyne, but I would much appreciate having an audio preview.
>>> Sometimes I use Mint 9 and I like how the Nautilus program will preview the
>>> audio if you hover your mouse over the audio file. This is essentual to me
>>> as I use a lot of samples and also create my own. Having an audio preview
>>> would be awesome as far as organizing my sample library. I'm not sure if I
>>> can tweak system or download something or whether an audio preview would
>>> have be something done done to the OS, but any help in this area would be
>>> most appreciated.
>>> ---
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>>> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>>>

>> --
>> http://www.mcld.co.uk

Josh Lawrence-2 Josh Lawrence-2

Re: [puredyne] Audio Preview

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Another way would be using mocp ~ I was quite surprise how fast is
> that little beast

another option that I have not tried yet:

http://github.com/harryhaaren/PreHear

Re: [puredyne] Audio Preview

I second mocp.  not sure how well it would work for your purposes, but i love it as a player.  I don't think its included with puredyne though? am I wrong?

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Josh Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Another way would be using mocp ~ I was quite surprise how fast is
> that little beast

another option that I have not tried yet:

http://github.com/harryhaaren/PreHear

Martin . Martin .

Re: [puredyne] Audio Preview

I find gloobus-preview (http://gloobus.net/) to be nice, more like osx kinda, although I havent gotten it to work in Thunar since Thunar does not allow assigning custom actions to keys.

Mostly Ive actually been missing this feature when I browse for samples in SuperCollider or PD through the file dialogs there, but they use java or gtk or something, which is quite cumbersome to browse with in itself..

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:42 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
I second mocp.  not sure how well it would work for your purposes, but i love it as a player.  I don't think its included with puredyne though? am I wrong?

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Josh Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Another way would be using mocp ~ I was quite surprise how fast is
> that little beast

another option that I have not tried yet:

http://github.com/harryhaaren/PreHear

Re: [puredyne] Audio Preview

mocp is indeed included with the dvd release - not sure about the cd
releas though