Quantcast

[puredyne] A New Beginning

Julian Brooks Julian Brooks

[puredyne] A New Beginning

Erm, now what?

What is the general consensus of where to go next...

I'm guessing that people are thinking of building on top of a minimal debian type thing?  Some of my fellow laptoppers are really into Arch for example, though they seem to be under the hood on a regular and critical basis.

Any recommendations for audio based work?  I have also been thinking recently about having something Puredyne-like as a general system and then another install just for music - which for me is basically Pure Data, Jack too I guess.

Saying that though it's never quite that simple is it.  I like the occasional sensor and of course some network music can be fun (ethernet & wireless)...and on it goes.

It was a goal of mine to do some building from source recently and I was chuffed to pieces that I got some things to work, kind of.  There is a definite sense of achievement when it goes and of course I want to maximise the resources that are available to me computing wise.  I also have a fairly bashed in Puredyne install atm that is in need of rescuing, unfortunately I seem to have a ton of stuff that places greater demands on my available time (me & my lovely wife have 6 kids between us - go figure:)  You may note I haven't been offering my skills(ho ho) for Puredyne dev work either.

Anyways, would be great to canvas some opinion and pointers from anyone who can be bothered responding.

Cheers,

Julian

rooss rooss

Re: [puredyne] A New Beginning

On 02/07/2012 09:07 PM, Julian Brooks wrote:
> Erm, now what?
>
> What is the general consensus of where to go next...
>
> I'm guessing that people are thinking of building on top of a minimal
> debian type thing?

+1 for Debian :)

Some of my fellow laptoppers are really into Arch

> for example, though they seem to be under the hood on a regular and
> critical basis.
>
> Any recommendations for audio based work?  I have also been thinking
> recently about having something Puredyne-like as a general system and
> then another install just for music - which for me is basically Pure
> Data, Jack too I guess.
>
> Saying that though it's never quite that simple is it.  I like the
> occasional sensor and of course some network music can be fun (ethernet
> & wireless)...and on it goes.
>
> It was a goal of mine to do some building from source recently and I was
> chuffed to pieces that I got some things to work, kind of.  There is a
> definite sense of achievement when it goes and of course I want to
> maximise the resources that are available to me computing wise.  I also
> have a fairly bashed in Puredyne install atm that is in need of
> rescuing, unfortunately I seem to have a ton of stuff that places
> greater demands on my available time (me & my lovely wife have 6 kids
> between us - go figure:)  You may note I haven't been offering my
> skills(ho ho) for Puredyne dev work either.
>
> Anyways, would be great to canvas some opinion and pointers from anyone
> who can be bothered responding.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Julian

Re: [puredyne] A New Beginning

Well, I"ve had a broth/live-build project focused on PureData on my todo list for the past 6 months or so.  My idea was to make it accessible to new comers by starting with just the core and learning how to build it up, add externals, make your own, etc.  Keeping it simple, focused on the learning process, and encouraging users to start with this core system and build up the tools they personally use and then "reroll" the system themselves.

All of my live building experience comes from making Debian stable systems (with a little apt-pinning here and there) so everything works well, with the addition of some non-free drivers and such.  I think the biggest issue so far has been missing wireless drivers.

I don't think it would be too hard to branch Broth to be based off Debian rather than Ubuntu.  I'd be interested in trying to hone the scripts down to get a stable Pd study and production system.  That said, I'm a Pd noob myself, I was learning Max/MSP a few years back, lost my Mac and came to Linux hoping to get into Pd.  Instead I got into Linux :P.  So I'd certainly need some help selecting what documents to include, other resources, patches, and so on.  Plus, style is always nice.

Anyways, I'm willing to keep talking, and I'll have some time to put into actually working soon.  I'm trying to complete a live "zine" system for release locally at the end of next week.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM, rosea.grammostola <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

marker marker

Re: [puredyne] A New Beginning

davebritton davebritton

Re: [puredyne] A New Beginning

I've recently been struggling with carrot and coriander's limited life
support from being karmic-based, so a long-term support distribution
would be fine with me, I'd vote for Debian or Ubuntu just because I know
it more and like the packaging system. The most important aspect of
puredyne for me is the real-time kernel implementation, so I may have to
just learn how to roll a linux distro myself to get the latest RT. I'm
working in Supercollider, not pd, and I need jack and alsa to work well.
I'd be happy to learn more about broth, and the intricacies of packaging
in general, and help where I can.

I also want to go on record thanking Aymeric and the rest of the team
for bringing a great concept to reality and supporting its development
for as long and well as you have. puredyne has helped me a lot!
-Dave

On 02/07/2012 09:07 PM, Julian Brooks wrote:
>>> Erm, now what?
>>>
>>> What is the general consensus of where to go next...
>>>
>>> I'm guessing that people are thinking of building on top of a minimal
>>> debian type thing?
>> +1 for Debian :)

padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk

Re: [puredyne] A New Beginning

This side of Debian has always impressed me

http://live-build.debian.net/cgi-bin/live-build

Rather than a project that attempts to create and maintain
a one-size-fits-all "distribution" I believe the future
for software that supports groups like this is that
they become a "knowledge base" with a pick-and-mix
set of frequently desired features or configurations
that can move forward independently of the host base
system. This is different from the downstream model
with backporting etc, in that it abandons the attempt to
preserve a definitive version. For 64Studio, Daniel James
and Free Ekanayaka adopted a powerful model based around
PDK (shares some ideas with builders like Broth)
with a concept of different blendable "channels".

Another advantage is that the base Debian doesnt have
to be downloaded every time and doesnt need to be hosted
by the team, its just a channel (package repo and rules for
blending). Going back to the root of Debian frees the project
from policies and decisions downstream at Ubuntu.

Just some ideas for different future ways to share
common aims and efforts....