[puredyne] 3d animation sw

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
DanS DanS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[puredyne] 3d animation sw

Hi,

Naive question since I'm an audio kind of person... is there decent
free software for 3D animations? I'm thinking of cartoony rather than
raytracey. What do/would you use?

Thanks
Dan
--
http://www.mcld.co.uk
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [puredyne] 3d animation sw

Blender is the main one.
Long learning curve though.

Is there an extension to Inkscape
to make it a flash/flipbook style
tool?

 

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:21:57 +0100
Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Naive question since I'm an audio kind of person... is there decent
> free software for 3D animations? I'm thinking of cartoony rather than
> raytracey. What do/would you use?
>
> Thanks
> Dan
> --
> http://www.mcld.co.uk
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne


--
Andy Farnell <[hidden email]>
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Rob Myers Rob Myers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [puredyne] 3d animation sw

On 03/07/11 11:52, Andy Farnell wrote:
> Blender is the main one.
> Long learning curve though.

There are lots of tutorials:

http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/

Including some for toon shading.

> Is there an extension to Inkscape
> to make it a flash/flipbook style
> tool?

For 2D, there's a full-blown Free Software cel rendering system called
Synfig:

http://synfig.org/

- Rob.
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
DanS DanS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [puredyne] 3d animation sw

2011/7/3 Rob Myers <[hidden email]>:

> On 03/07/11 11:52, Andy Farnell wrote:
>>
>> Blender is the main one.
>> Long learning curve though.
>
> There are lots of tutorials:
>
> http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/
>
> Including some for toon shading.
>
>> Is there an extension to Inkscape
>> to make it a flash/flipbook style
>> tool?
>
> For 2D, there's a full-blown Free Software cel rendering system called
> Synfig:
>
> http://synfig.org/

Thanks both - synfig definitely looks interesting. Might try that,
sacrificing my ambitions for the third dimension.

Dan
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [puredyne] 3d animation sw




While we're on the topic. Does anyone know of
something, preferably FOSS, for an ambitious
7 year old nephew who is aspiring animator?

No sophistication needed, just something that
kids can make moving drawings with.


ta.

a.


On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 19:32:26 +0100
Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/7/3 Rob Myers <[hidden email]>:
> > On 03/07/11 11:52, Andy Farnell wrote:
> >>
> >> Blender is the main one.
> >> Long learning curve though.
> >
> > There are lots of tutorials:
> >
> > http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/
> >
> > Including some for toon shading.
> >
> >> Is there an extension to Inkscape
> >> to make it a flash/flipbook style
> >> tool?
> >
> > For 2D, there's a full-blown Free Software cel rendering system called
> > Synfig:
> >
> > http://synfig.org/
>
> Thanks both - synfig definitely looks interesting. Might try that,
> sacrificing my ambitions for the third dimension.
>
> Dan
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne


--
Andy Farnell <[hidden email]>
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Aymeric Mansoux Aymeric Mansoux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [puredyne] 3d animation sw

Andy Farnell said :
> While we're on the topic. Does anyone know of
> something, preferably FOSS, for an ambitious
> 7 year old nephew who is aspiring animator?
>
> No sophistication needed, just something that
> kids can make moving drawings with.

http://www.pencil-animation.org/

very simple, works nicely with tablets too.

a.
--
http://su.kuri.mu

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
grant centauri grant centauri
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [puredyne] 3d animation sw

pencil is nice, though i think its development has lapsed.  I was using it to show 3rd graders some things about animation (8 year olds?).  Its also multiplatform.  its kind of buggy though, in certain parts.  it would be great to work with if it had a bit more development.  as it is, it works to play with simply animating some drawings.

i do want to offer a solution that i'm working on right now using simply pen and paper, a scanner, and gimp.  i asked about it on the list here, but have made a bit of progress.

its attempting to emulate the process of animating directly onto clear film leader which was developed in the 50s and 60s.  I'm mainly inspired by Norman McLaren, who did some great stuff with the technique.

I need to get a Gimp script finished but what you'd end up with is a sheet of paper with something like 72 frames to draw in and then a script which would cut them all out and put them in a Gimp-GAP animation.  i think that for kids this would be great, because you get a very simple and direct 'drawing-to-animation' technique.  There's no onion skinning, and no 'tweening', its a straight forward animation technique which is reminiscent of making flip books in the bottom corner of one's math textbook or something.  However, with Gimp-GAP there is the possibility of doing a lot of sophisticated processing afterwards, color-filters, adding backgrounds, etc....

i was going to attach an example I made in about 30 minutes with some graph paper, but its too big for the list.  i'll try getting it online at some point.

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Aymeric Mansoux <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andy Farnell said :
> While we're on the topic. Does anyone know of
> something, preferably FOSS, for an ambitious
> 7 year old nephew who is aspiring animator?
>
> No sophistication needed, just something that
> kids can make moving drawings with.

http://www.pencil-animation.org/

very simple, works nicely with tablets too.

a.
--
http://su.kuri.mu


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
team why team why
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [puredyne] 3d animation sw

i like luciole it's in the Ubuntu repo... the  main use is for stop motion but it works with images too... where ktoon and pencil are still a bit to buggy for me. 
luciole has heaps of cool functions like export into cinelerra and soon they will add sound.

ash  

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Loading...