noob: boot error no such device

metacurrent metacurrent

noob: boot error no such device

Hi forum,

I am excited to use Puredyne for the first time.  After months of wandering listlessly from distro to distro, I keep coming back to it.  It seems to have everything I want to use/learn.  But every time I try to install I am halted by a boot error that I do not have the knowhow to deal with.  Here goes:

Dell Inspiron 600m
Intel Pentium M processor 1400MHZ
using live cd with Puredyne 9.11

live cd boots and works perfectly
install seems to go fine
When I reboot, and every boot following, the process stops at the splash screen.  There is a message saying:

error: no such device: a9fc945f-feb6-41f8-8593-a2b2b273c8f7
Failed to boot default entries.
Press any key to continue. . .

Pressing any key does nothing but duplicate the same error message ad infinitum.

Now in my recent distro journeys I encountered this very same scenario one other time, and it was with Xubuntu 10.04.  (Regular Ubuntu 10.04 works)

And I am afraid that is where this lowly musician's expertise ends.  I will never give up, but I could sure use some help if anyone sees fit.

Thank you for your time.

Re: [puredyne] noob: boot error no such device

Hi there, welcome to the list/forum.

Glad you've come to Puredyne.

A few questions... what is your disk partition like?  Are you installing Puredyne by itself on the hard drive, or are there other OSes?  Is the Puredyne OS on the first partition of the disk?

It sounds like there's a problem with the naming of your hard disk in the GRUB configuration.  That long string of numbers is the UUID (universally unique identifier) of the disk the installer thought was your hard disk.  I think I came to this problem before and solved it by removing the line in the grub.cfg file that looks like this:

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e8292e85-022b-4c78-9b65-a6203ad31887

However, that's probably not the best way to go about it.

In the GRUB splash screen, perhaps you can try to press 'e' while the Puredyne menu entry is highlighted.  You should get something like this:

        recordfail=1
        if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi
        set quiet=1
        insmod ext2
        set root=(hd0,2)
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e8292e85-022b-4c78-9b65-a6203ad31887
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-9-rt root=UUID=e8292e85-022b-4c78-9b65-a6203ad31887 ro   quiet splash
        initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-9-rt

Try deleting the line that begins with search if you can and then try to boot.  It may or may not work.

List?  Whats the real problem here?

metacurrent metacurrent

Re: [puredyne] noob: boot error no such device

"Try deleting the line that begins with search if you can and then try to
boot.  It may or may not work."

Success!  With the line removed, Puredyne booted.  I am very happy.  Thank you kindly, Grant.

"A few questions... what is your disk partition like?  Are you installing
Puredyne by itself on the hard drive, or are there other OSes?  Is the
Puredyne OS on the first partition of the disk?"

I performed an automatic erase and install.  Puredyne is the only entity on the machine.  The partitions look thus:

/dev/sda1   ext4 (mount) 145.49 GiB
/dev/sda2   extended       3.56 GiB
/dev/sda5   linux-swap     3.56 GiB

metacurrent metacurrent

Re: [puredyne] noob: boot error no such device

"Hopefully the list can give some more insight into why this problem happened
in the first place and if there's a 'cleaner' way to fix the problem.  But
for now, you've got a working system to play around with.  Have fun!"

For the present, I have managed to make the edit stick using these directions:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:search

Hopefully it will help others like myself.

And now it's off to patching wave shapes for me. (!!!)

Re: [puredyne] noob: boot error no such device

And now it's off to patching wave shapes for me. (!!!)

just out of curiosity, what software are you using?