Quantcast

esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

12
KarlHungus KarlHungus

esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

hello, i got esi gigaport hd usb card http://www.esi-audio.com/products/gigaporthd/
8 outputs, 0 inputs
i have no luck so far to make it work with jack
my settings are:
server path: /usr/bin/jackd -P 70      driver:alsa
interface hw:1 GIGAPort HD
AUDIO: Playback Only
Output channels: default

start the server, everything seems ok, no error messages
but there is no sound when i run aplications
for example Supercollider shows this:

JackDriver: client name is 'SuperCollider'
SC_AudioDriver: sample rate = 44100.000000, driver's block size = 1024
JackDriver: couldn't connect  system:capture_1 to SuperCollider:in_1
JackDriver: couldn't connect  system:capture_2 to SuperCollider:in_2
JackDriver: max output latency 46.4 ms
JackDriver: connected  SuperCollider:out_1 to system:playback_1
JackDriver: connected  SuperCollider:out_2 to system:playback_2
SuperCollider 3 server ready..
notification is on

everything seems ok..
BUT again, no sound

am i doing something wrong?
anyone else has experience with this sound card?

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

With the 2 esi card I have there is no problem.

Have you check your alsamixer ?

you can run alsamixer -c 0 for your default card (probably onboard ?) and alsamixer -c 1
for your extra card (hopefully your usb )

in alsamixer you can then setup the volume of your output.

Is the card working without jack ?

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 4:21 AM, KarlHungus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

thank you, geoffroy
sorry,linux noob :(
how exactly i can access alsamixer?
and yes, this card is working with asio on windows

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

At Sun, 1 May 2011 15:39:28 -0700 (PDT),
KarlHungus wrote:

> thank you, geoffroy
> sorry,linux noob :(
> how exactly i can access alsamixer?

command line -> type "alsamixer" (no quotes) -> hit return

James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

when i type alsamixer in x terminal emulator i got
''function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory
zsh: exit 1 alsamixer''

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

ok, turns out i should look for Gnome-AlsaMixer
and yes, problem was volume slider set at zero by default
now everything works with esi gigaport hd soundcard
thanks

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

interesting that alsamixer was giving an error while the
gnome-alsa mixer was working -

well glad that it did fix the problem - I like how
ESI are supported right out of the box !

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 3:42 AM, KarlHungus <[hidden email]> wrote:
ok, turns out i should look for Gnome-AlsaMixer
and yes, problem was volume slider set at zero by default
now everything works with esi gigaport hd soundcard
thanks

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

yeah, now i only got to figure out how to use all 8 channels, so far only 2 are active,although i enabled 8 outputs in jack settings...
i tested it with SuperCollider and checked that localhost server are set to 8 channels
o = Server.local.options;
o.numOutputBusChannels = 8;
but still SC boots with 2 channels only, so i am not sure either there is something wrong in jack or SC settings
any suggestions?

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

At Tue, 3 May 2011 09:14:43 -0700 (PDT),
KarlHungus wrote:
> yeah, now i only got to figure out how to use all 8 channels, so far only 2
> are active,although i enabled 8 outputs in jack settings...
> i tested it with SuperCollider and checked that localhost server are set to
> 8 channels
> o = Server.local.options;
> o.numOutputBusChannels = 8;
> but still SC boots with 2 channels only, so i am not sure either there is
> something wrong in jack or SC settings
> any suggestions?

You have to enable 8 ins/outs in the SC_JACK_DEFAULT_INPUTS and SC_JACK_DEFAULT_OUTPUTS environment variables. This is described in part of the README LINUX (under the heading "environment").

From within SC:

"echo $SC_JACK_DEFAULT_OUTPUTS".unixCmd

--> system:playback_1,system:playback_2

... which explains the two outputs. You'll need _3, _4 ... _8 as well.

I'm not sure if the linux readme is distributed with a package installation -- my installation is checked out from git and built myself, so naturally it has all the files. If it's not there, then the packaging rules will have to be changed (or, a proper help file explaining sc server configuration in Linux would need to be written).

hjh

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

hi, thanks a lot but i can't find README LINUX help file you mentioned
i am a bit confused...
anyway... in usr/share/SuperCollider/SCClassLibrary/Platform/linux
there is a LinuxPlatfom.sc file
with lines
// default jack port hookup
                "SC_JACK_DEFAULT_INPUTS".setenv("system:capture_1,system:capture_2");
                "SC_JACK_DEFAULT_OUTPUTS".setenv("system:playback_1,system:playback_2");

do i have to change these settings in this file or somewhere else?
if so how exactly i can modify this file (this needs permission rights etc.)

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

At Wed, 4 May 2011 12:01:37 -0700 (PDT),
KarlHungus wrote:

> hi, thanks a lot but i can't find README LINUX help file you mentioned
> i am a bit confused...
> anyway... in usr/share/SuperCollider/SCClassLibrary/Platform/linux
> there is a LinuxPlatfom.sc file
> with lines
> // default jack port hookup
> "SC_JACK_DEFAULT_INPUTS".setenv("system:capture_1,system:capture_2");
> "SC_JACK_DEFAULT_OUTPUTS".setenv("system:playback_1,system:playback_2");
>
> do i have to change these settings in this file or somewhere else?
> if so how exactly i can modify this file (this needs permission rights etc.)

No, don't hack the class definition!! Use the startup file to change the setting -- there's a helpfile about (something like) "Using the startup file." The startup file's location in linux is ~/.sclang.sc.

I have no idea where the readme is installed from a package. Dan?
hjh

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

ok, i found the ~/.sclang.sc (which was hidden file in home/user folder) and made the necessary changes, everything seems to be working
i cant test it properly right now, but jack connects to all specified outputs and s.meter shows that signal are spread to all 8 outs
thanks a lot everybody for helping me with this
cheers

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

dammit, for some reasons i still got stereo output!
although everything seems configured right and starts without errors
in JACK 8 outputs enabled
in sclang.sc
s.options.numOutputBusChannels = 8;
"SC_JACK_DEFAULT_OUTPUTS".setenv(
        "system:playback_1,"
        "system:playback_2,"
        "system:playback_3,"
        "system:playback_4,"
        "system:playback_5,"
        "system:playback_6,"
        "system:playback_7"

what else needs to be tweaked?

gusano gusano

On 05/05/2011 01:14 PM, KarlHungus wrote:

> dammit, for some reasons i still got stereo output!
> although everything seems configured right and starts without errors
> in JACK 8 outputs enabled
> in sclang.sc
> s.options.numOutputBusChannels = 8;
> "SC_JACK_DEFAULT_OUTPUTS".setenv(
> "system:playback_1,"
> "system:playback_2,"
> "system:playback_3,"
> "system:playback_4,"
> "system:playback_5,"
> "system:playback_6,"
> "system:playback_7"
>
> what else needs to be tweaked?

maybe your startup file is not properly read ?
could you post it here (or on pastebin) ?

what does these print inside sc:

s.options.numOutputBusChannels

Server.default

and after booting your server, if you look into qjackctl connections,
how many outputs does sc have ?

cheers,
_y
KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

hi!
so my startup file looks like this:

Server.program = "/usr/bin/scsynth";

// same for Score
Score.program = Server.program;

// set some server options for different setups
#[\internal, \local].do { |s|
        s = Server.perform(s);
        s.options.numInputBusChannels = 0; // set the number of input jack ports
        s.options.numOutputBusChannels = 8; // set the number of output jack ports
        s.options.memSize = 1024 * 54; // 12 Mb for the synth, rt-memory for DelayC and friends
        s.options.maxNodes = 1024 * 4; // increase the maximum number of nodes to play simultaneously

        // tips:
        // s.options.blockSize = 1; //great when using NRT to maximize the resolution of the
                                    // control rate ugens during the render
};

// hook up jack ports to audio channels
"SC_JACK_DEFAULT_INPUTS".setenv(
        "system:capture_1,"
        "system:capture_2"
);
"SC_JACK_DEFAULT_OUTPUTS".setenv(
        "system:playback_1,"
        "system:playback_2,"
        "system:playback_3,"
        "system:playback_4,"
        "system:playback_5,"
        "system:playback_6,"
        "system:playback_7,"
        "system:playback_8"

);

//---- now set up our gui portion ----//
GUI.swing; //use swingosc

//"AWT_TOOLKIT".setenv("MToolkit"); //necessary when working with Awesome WM

SwingOSC.program = "/usr/share/SwingOSC/SwingOSC.jar";

//We choose a LookAndFeel - for aesthetic purposes? Actually here we do it to prevent a warning showing in the post window
SwingOSC.default.options.javaOptions = "-Dswing.defaultlaf=javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel";

g = SwingOSC.default;

g.waitForBoot({
  Server.local.makeGui; //show local server
  Server.internal.makeGui; //show internal server
});

and sc prints this:
s.options.numOutputBusChannels.postln;
8
8
Server.default.postln;
localhost
localhost

and after booting server in qjackctl connections  SC shows 8 outputs

so i am really confused why i got only 2 channels in the end...

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

At Thu, 5 May 2011 14:03:34 -0700 (PDT),
KarlHungus wrote:
> and after booting server in qjackctl connections  SC shows 8 outputs

So scsynth is connecting the right number of outputs... good...

> so i am really confused why i got only 2 channels in the end...

I'm no expert on this, but qjackctl has options for input and output channels under "Setup..." Are those still (default)? What if you change output channels to 8?

That is, it looks like SC is sending audio to jack on all 8 channels but maybe jack is only talking to 2 channels of the usb interface.

hjh

gusano gusano

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

On 05/05/2011 11:03 PM, KarlHungus wrote:
[snip]
> and sc prints this:
> s.options.numOutputBusChannels.postln;
> 8
> Server.default.postln;
> localhost
>
> and after booting server in qjackctl connections  SC shows 8 outputs

and they are all connected to your system ports right ?

> so i am really confused why i got only 2 channels in the end...

what code are you running ?

does the following output on 8 channels (with s.meter) ?

{SinOsc.ar!8 * 0.1}.play

cheers,
_y
KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

ddw music
> I'm no expert on this, but qjackctl has options for input and output channels under "Setup..." Are those still (default)? What if you change output channels to 8?
output settings are set to 8 in jack settings already not default but result is the same with both settings.

gusano
> and after booting server in qjackctl connections  SC shows 8 outputs
and they are all connected to your system ports right ?

yup, they are.

>does the following output on 8 channels (with s.meter) ? {SinOsc.ar!8 * 0.1}.play
yeah, s.meter shows all 8 ch are active and post windows shows that all sc outs are connected to system outs (the same in qjackctl)

so everything is as it should be on sc side and also on jack side all settings seems correct
i retested this sound card with windows to see maybe something is broken, but everything works

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] esi gigaport hd usb soundcard problem

is my qjackctl server path is correct /usr/bin/jackd -P 70 ? others refuse to work anyway
also does my sc outputs in qjackctl connections should show under audio or alsa tab? right now it is under audio
also
i notice that alsa mixer shows USB Mixer when i attach sound card,not GIGAPort HD.
GIGAPort HD is hw:1 device and hw:1,0 is USB Audio. I also tried USB Audio as interface option but the result is the same as with GIGAPort HD.

gusano gusano

On 05/07/2011 11:12 AM, KarlHungus wrote:
>> does the following output on 8 channels (with s.meter) ? {SinOsc.ar!8 *
> 0.1}.play
> yeah, s.meter shows all 8 ch are active and post windows shows that all sc
> outs are connected to system outs (the same in qjackctl)
>
> so everything is as it should be on sc side and also on jack side all
> settings seems correct
> i retested this sound card with windows to see maybe something is broken,
> but everything works

ah, now I think I remember having issues with more than 2 outs USB
soundcards and alsa.
the trick is to write-modify your ~/.asoundrc file according to your needs.

as an example, here is mine (to have 4 out on a usb audio2dj):
http://pastebin.com/kmHbxk4k

and the doc is there:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc

HTH,