creating usb stick with unetbootin

KarlHungus KarlHungus

creating usb stick with unetbootin

hi, i tried to create puredyne usb stick with unetbootin method using puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386. i followed instructions created primary partition and logical drive live-rw and burned the iso with unetbootin but unfortunately my stick can't boot, can someone confirm that this method actually works?

F. Medeiros F. Medeiros

Re: [puredyne] creating usb stick with unetbootin

I can confirm that it works for me but only if the file system is ext2.

chr chr

Am 13.05.2011 04:52, schrieb F. Medeiros:
> I can confirm that it works for me but only if the file system is ext2.
for me too, it worked fine with ext2

i just created with gparted the two partitions...
...it does not work on macs
but on other machines i have never had problems

did you changed the boot-settings in your bios?
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Booting_a_live_USB_stick

...some old pc's also do not support booting from usb-stick (my old
pentium 1-laptop couldnt do it, f.ex)

greetings

christian

> On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 16:44 -0700, KarlHungus wrote:
>> hi, i tried to create puredyne usb stick with unetbootin method using
>> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386. i followed instructions created
>> primary partition and logical drive live-rw and burned the iso with
>> unetbootin but unfortunately my stick can't boot, can someone confirm that
>> this method actually works?

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] creating usb stick with unetbootin

hi,yeah, i changed the boot-settings in my bios, maybe i will try another usb stick, this was suspicious...

Citējot chr [hidden email]:
Am 13.05.2011 04:52, schrieb F. Medeiros:
> I can confirm that it works for me but only if the file system is ext2.
for me too, it worked fine with ext2

i just created with gparted the two partitions...
...it does not work on macs
but on other machines i have never had problems

did you changed the boot-settings in your bios?
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Booting_a_live_USB_stick

...some old pc's also do not support booting from usb-stick (my old
pentium 1-laptop couldnt do it, f.ex)

greetings

christian

> On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 16:44 -0700, KarlHungus wrote:
>> hi, i tried to create puredyne usb stick with unetbootin method using
>> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386. i followed instructions created
>> primary partition and logical drive live-rw and burned the iso with
>> unetbootin but unfortunately my stick can't boot, can someone confirm that
>> this method actually works?

Re: [puredyne] creating usb stick with unetbootin

i always md5sum check mine if i have a problem.  I have consistently run into a problem where i'll make my usb stick, check it, its fine, try to boot, it doesnt work, and then check it again and have a few errors.  redoing the install and trying again seems to work most of the time.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,yeah, i changed the boot-settings in my bios, maybe i will try another usb stick, this was suspicious...

Citējot chr [hidden email]:
Am 13.05.2011 04:52, schrieb F. Medeiros:
> I can confirm that it works for me but only if the file system is ext2.
for me too, it worked fine with ext2

i just created with gparted the two partitions...
...it does not work on macs
but on other machines i have never had problems

did you changed the boot-settings in your bios?
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Booting_a_live_USB_stick

...some old pc's also do not support booting from usb-stick (my old
pentium 1-laptop couldnt do it, f.ex)

greetings

christian

> On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 16:44 -0700, KarlHungus wrote:
>> hi, i tried to create puredyne usb stick with unetbootin method using
>> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386. i followed instructions created
>> primary partition and logical drive live-rw and burned the iso with
>> unetbootin but unfortunately my stick can't boot, can someone confirm that
>> this method actually works?

Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Re: [puredyne] creating usb stick with unetbootin

If you got errors, what exactly were the errors? Describe what you mean by "doesn't work". It could be any numbe rof things...

Tyler

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
i always md5sum check mine if i have a problem.  I have consistently run into a problem where i'll make my usb stick, check it, its fine, try to boot, it doesnt work, and then check it again and have a few errors.  redoing the install and trying again seems to work most of the time.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,yeah, i changed the boot-settings in my bios, maybe i will try another usb stick, this was suspicious...

Citējot chr [hidden email]:
Am 13.05.2011 04:52, schrieb F. Medeiros:
> I can confirm that it works for me but only if the file system is ext2.
for me too, it worked fine with ext2

i just created with gparted the two partitions...
...it does not work on macs
but on other machines i have never had problems

did you changed the boot-settings in your bios?
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Booting_a_live_USB_stick

...some old pc's also do not support booting from usb-stick (my old
pentium 1-laptop couldnt do it, f.ex)

greetings

christian

> On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 16:44 -0700, KarlHungus wrote:
>> hi, i tried to create puredyne usb stick with unetbootin method using
>> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386. i followed instructions created
>> primary partition and logical drive live-rw and burned the iso with
>> unetbootin but unfortunately my stick can't boot, can someone confirm that
>> this method actually works?

Re: [puredyne] creating usb stick with unetbootin

oh and md5sum checking means mounting the usb stick, opening a terminal in the directory that contains the file 'md5sum.txt' and running this command:

md5sum -c md5sum.txt

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Tyler Leavitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you got errors, what exactly were the errors? Describe what you mean by "doesn't work". It could be any numbe rof things...

Tyler

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
i always md5sum check mine if i have a problem.  I have consistently run into a problem where i'll make my usb stick, check it, its fine, try to boot, it doesnt work, and then check it again and have a few errors.  redoing the install and trying again seems to work most of the time.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,yeah, i changed the boot-settings in my bios, maybe i will try another usb stick, this was suspicious...

Citējot chr [hidden email]:
Am 13.05.2011 04:52, schrieb F. Medeiros:
> I can confirm that it works for me but only if the file system is ext2.
for me too, it worked fine with ext2

i just created with gparted the two partitions...
...it does not work on macs
but on other machines i have never had problems

did you changed the boot-settings in your bios?
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Booting_a_live_USB_stick

...some old pc's also do not support booting from usb-stick (my old
pentium 1-laptop couldnt do it, f.ex)

greetings

christian

> On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 16:44 -0700, KarlHungus wrote:
>> hi, i tried to create puredyne usb stick with unetbootin method using
>> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386. i followed instructions created
>> primary partition and logical drive live-rw and burned the iso with
>> unetbootin but unfortunately my stick can't boot, can someone confirm that
>> this method actually works?

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] creating usb stick with unetbootin

hi, when i trie to boot from usb stick on pc laptop i got message that operating system not found...
i followed instructions created - two ext2 partitions, one bootable (primary) and secod logial drive labeled live-rw, the burned iso puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386 with unetbootin,choosing that bootable partition
btw i already got puredyne on that laptops hdd but i wanted to try also usb
--

Citējot Tyler Leavitt [hidden email]:
If you got errors, what exactly were the errors? Describe what you mean by "doesn't work". It could be any numbe rof things...

Tyler

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
i always md5sum check mine if i have a problem.  I have consistently run into a problem where i'll make my usb stick, check it, its fine, try to boot, it doesnt work, and then check it again and have a few errors.  redoing the install and trying again seems to work most of the time.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,yeah, i changed the boot-settings in my bios, maybe i will try another usb stick, this was suspicious...

Citējot chr [hidden email]:
Am 13.05.2011 04:52, schrieb F. Medeiros:
> I can confirm that it works for me but only if the file system is ext2.
for me too, it worked fine with ext2

i just created with gparted the two partitions...
...it does not work on macs
but on other machines i have never had problems

did you changed the boot-settings in your bios?
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Booting_a_live_USB_stick

...some old pc's also do not support booting from usb-stick (my old
pentium 1-laptop couldnt do it, f.ex)

greetings

christian

> On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 16:44 -0700, KarlHungus wrote:
>> hi, i tried to create puredyne usb stick with unetbootin method using
>> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386. i followed instructions created
>> primary partition and logical drive live-rw and burned the iso with
>> unetbootin but unfortunately my stick can't boot, can someone confirm that
>> this method actually works?

Re: [puredyne] creating usb stick with unetbootin

first, try the md5sum check.  if there's errors, reformat the first partition as ext2, and try unetbootin again.  it might work.

if not-- have you tried the make-live-device.sh script?  or do you just want unetbootin to do the job for you?  if you're interested in a learning experience, you could try manually installing it to usb, you'll learn how to do what unetbootin does in a sense.  i was able to walk a friend through it over the phone, so i bet you can do it.  i'd be willing to help.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 5:55 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi, when i trie to boot from usb stick on pc laptop i got message that operating system not found...
i followed instructions created - two ext2 partitions, one bootable (primary) and secod logial drive labeled live-rw, the burned iso puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386 with unetbootin,choosing that bootable partition
btw i already got puredyne on that laptops hdd but i wanted to try also usb
--

Citējot Tyler Leavitt [hidden email]:
If you got errors, what exactly were the errors? Describe what you mean by "doesn't work". It could be any numbe rof things...

Tyler

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
i always md5sum check mine if i have a problem.  I have consistently run into a problem where i'll make my usb stick, check it, its fine, try to boot, it doesnt work, and then check it again and have a few errors.  redoing the install and trying again seems to work most of the time.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,yeah, i changed the boot-settings in my bios, maybe i will try another usb stick, this was suspicious...

Citējot chr [hidden email]:
Am 13.05.2011 04:52, schrieb F. Medeiros:
> I can confirm that it works for me but only if the file system is ext2.
for me too, it worked fine with ext2

i just created with gparted the two partitions...
...it does not work on macs
but on other machines i have never had problems

did you changed the boot-settings in your bios?
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Booting_a_live_USB_stick

...some old pc's also do not support booting from usb-stick (my old
pentium 1-laptop couldnt do it, f.ex)

greetings

christian

> On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 16:44 -0700, KarlHungus wrote:
>> hi, i tried to create puredyne usb stick with unetbootin method using
>> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386. i followed instructions created
>> primary partition and logical drive live-rw and burned the iso with
>> unetbootin but unfortunately my stick can't boot, can someone confirm that
>> this method actually works?

Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Re: [puredyne] creating usb stick with unetbootin

Also, GRUB bootloader (which loads the operating system) will be looking for two files: an initrd file and a kernel image.

 I've had problems with pure:dyne in the past where GRUB is told to look for a kernel image file called vmlinuz-2.6.31 when the real file is named vmlinux-2.6.31 or vice versa. So make sure the file path to the kernel image is the same as the one that exists on the actual device.

Tyler

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:34 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
first, try the md5sum check.  if there's errors, reformat the first partition as ext2, and try unetbootin again.  it might work.

if not-- have you tried the make-live-device.sh script?  or do you just want unetbootin to do the job for you?  if you're interested in a learning experience, you could try manually installing it to usb, you'll learn how to do what unetbootin does in a sense.  i was able to walk a friend through it over the phone, so i bet you can do it.  i'd be willing to help.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 5:55 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi, when i trie to boot from usb stick on pc laptop i got message that operating system not found...
i followed instructions created - two ext2 partitions, one bootable (primary) and secod logial drive labeled live-rw, the burned iso puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386 with unetbootin,choosing that bootable partition
btw i already got puredyne on that laptops hdd but i wanted to try also usb
--

Citējot Tyler Leavitt [hidden email]:
If you got errors, what exactly were the errors? Describe what you mean by "doesn't work". It could be any numbe rof things...

Tyler

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
i always md5sum check mine if i have a problem.  I have consistently run into a problem where i'll make my usb stick, check it, its fine, try to boot, it doesnt work, and then check it again and have a few errors.  redoing the install and trying again seems to work most of the time.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,yeah, i changed the boot-settings in my bios, maybe i will try another usb stick, this was suspicious...

Citējot chr [hidden email]:
Am 13.05.2011 04:52, schrieb F. Medeiros:
> I can confirm that it works for me but only if the file system is ext2.
for me too, it worked fine with ext2

i just created with gparted the two partitions...
...it does not work on macs
but on other machines i have never had problems

did you changed the boot-settings in your bios?
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Booting_a_live_USB_stick

...some old pc's also do not support booting from usb-stick (my old
pentium 1-laptop couldnt do it, f.ex)

greetings

christian

> On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 16:44 -0700, KarlHungus wrote:
>> hi, i tried to create puredyne usb stick with unetbootin method using
>> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386. i followed instructions created
>> primary partition and logical drive live-rw and burned the iso with
>> unetbootin but unfortunately my stick can't boot, can someone confirm that
>> this method actually works?

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] creating usb stick with unetbootin

hi, tried md5sum check and everything was ok,
yes i will try again it with unetbootin and if i fail again i might try make-live-device.sh script
if so then i definitely will need some help
thanks a lot

--

Citējot grant centauri [hidden email]:
first, try the md5sum check.  if there's errors, reformat the first partition as ext2, and try unetbootin again.  it might work.

if not-- have you tried the make-live-device.sh script?  or do you just want unetbootin to do the job for you?  if you're interested in a learning experience, you could try manually installing it to usb, you'll learn how to do what unetbootin does in a sense.  i was able to walk a friend through it over the phone, so i bet you can do it.  i'd be willing to help.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 5:55 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi, when i trie to boot from usb stick on pc laptop i got message that operating system not found...
i followed instructions created - two ext2 partitions, one bootable (primary) and secod logial drive labeled live-rw, the burned iso puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386 with unetbootin,choosing that bootable partition
btw i already got puredyne on that laptops hdd but i wanted to try also usb
--

Citējot Tyler Leavitt [hidden email]:
If you got errors, what exactly were the errors? Describe what you mean by "doesn't work". It could be any numbe rof things...

Tyler

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
i always md5sum check mine if i have a problem.  I have consistently run into a problem where i'll make my usb stick, check it, its fine, try to boot, it doesnt work, and then check it again and have a few errors.  redoing the install and trying again seems to work most of the time.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,yeah, i changed the boot-settings in my bios, maybe i will try another usb stick, this was suspicious...

Citējot chr [hidden email]:
Am 13.05.2011 04:52, schrieb F. Medeiros:
> I can confirm that it works for me but only if the file system is ext2.
for me too, it worked fine with ext2

i just created with gparted the two partitions...
...it does not work on macs
but on other machines i have never had problems

did you changed the boot-settings in your bios?
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Booting_a_live_USB_stick

...some old pc's also do not support booting from usb-stick (my old
pentium 1-laptop couldnt do it, f.ex)

greetings

christian

> On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 16:44 -0700, KarlHungus wrote:
>> hi, i tried to create puredyne usb stick with unetbootin method using
>> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386. i followed instructions created
>> primary partition and logical drive live-rw and burned the iso with
>> unetbootin but unfortunately my stick can't boot, can someone confirm that
>> this method actually works?

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] creating usb stick with unetbootin

At Sat, 14 May 2011 12:10:21 +0300,
[hidden email] wrote:
> hi, tried md5sum check and everything was ok,
> yes i will try again it with unetbootin and if i fail again i might try make-live-device.sh script
> if so then i definitely will need some help

It's been a while since I did it, but as I recall, make-live-device.sh was a snap to run -- painless.

hjh

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] creating usb stick with unetbootin

offtopic, but i notice that all these conversations are happening through email only and don't show up in public http://puredyne.org/support.html. Why?
--

Citējot James Harkins [hidden email]: