Update running puredyne 9.10 CD to puredyne 9.11 DVD

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
makerprofaze makerprofaze
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Update running puredyne 9.10 CD to puredyne 9.11 DVD

I'm rather new to LInux, wondering what the process/command would be to update 9.10 CD installed and running to include all the additional apps/updates in 9.11 DVD? I've installed puredyne 9.10 from CD burnt on this Gateway M405 laptop, but it's CDRW/DVD isn't reading (any) burnt DVDs (from my Win desktop - I may try to burn a DVD from a Macbook Pro). I was able to make a live USB flash install from the puredyne 9.11 DVD.iso, but it would give me an error at boot time saying something to the effect of 'Debian cannot load this live image', I forget the rest. I haven't found any info on updating, though it would seem a simple matter (?)
steve allen steve allen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] Update running puredyne 9.10 CD to puredyne 9.11 DVD

makerprofaze wrote:

> I'm rather new to LInux, wondering what the process/command would be to
> update 9.10 CD installed and running to include all the additional
> apps/updates in 9.11 DVD? I've installed puredyne 9.10 from CD burnt on this
> Gateway M405 laptop, but it's CDRW/DVD isn't reading (any) burnt DVDs (from
> my Win desktop - I may try to burn a DVD from a Macbook Pro). I was able to
> make a live USB flash install from the puredyne 9.11 DVD.iso, but it would
> give me an error at boot time saying something to the effect of 'Debian
> cannot load this live image', I forget the rest. I haven't found any info on
> updating, though it would seem a simple matter (?)
>  
ubuntu has an update manager, it tells you when to update etc, I presume
this was not included in pure dyne as its not really needed, you just
need to open up terminal and type sudo apt-get update
obviously it will ask for your password and then run through the update


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Rob Canning-3 Rob Canning-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] Update running puredyne 9.10 CD to puredyne 9.11 DVD

steve allen said :

> makerprofaze wrote:
>> I'm rather new to LInux, wondering what the process/command would be to
>> update 9.10 CD installed and running to include all the additional
>> apps/updates in 9.11 DVD? I've installed puredyne 9.10 from CD burnt on this
>> Gateway M405 laptop, but it's CDRW/DVD isn't reading (any) burnt DVDs (from
>> my Win desktop - I may try to burn a DVD from a Macbook Pro). I was able to
>> make a live USB flash install from the puredyne 9.11 DVD.iso, but it would
>> give me an error at boot time saying something to the effect of 'Debian
>> cannot load this live image', I forget the rest. I haven't found any info on
>> updating, though it would seem a simple matter (?)
>>  
> ubuntu has an update manager, it tells you when to update etc, I presume  
> this was not included in pure dyne as its not really needed, you just  
> need to open up terminal and type sudo apt-get update
> obviously it will ask for your password and then run through the update


also alot of the updates to puredyne 9.11 are quite cosmetic...
if there are additional packages that are in 9.11 you need just go:
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install packagenamehere

you can find a list of the new additions in the changelog:
http://lists.goto10.org/pipermail/puredyne/2010-April/003594.html
just replace packagenamehere with the package you want to install
you can also do a list :
sudo aptitude install packagenamehere packagenamehere packagenamehere packagenamehere

HTH

rob



>
>
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>
--------------
[hidden email]
rob.goto10.org
--------------

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Rob Canning-3 Rob Canning-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] Update running puredyne 9.10 CD to puredyne 9.11 DVD

Rob Canning said :

> steve allen said :
> > makerprofaze wrote:
> >> I'm rather new to LInux, wondering what the process/command would be to
> >> update 9.10 CD installed and running to include all the additional
> >> apps/updates in 9.11 DVD? I've installed puredyne 9.10 from CD burnt on this
> >> Gateway M405 laptop, but it's CDRW/DVD isn't reading (any) burnt DVDs (from
> >> my Win desktop - I may try to burn a DVD from a Macbook Pro). I was able to
> >> make a live USB flash install from the puredyne 9.11 DVD.iso, but it would
> >> give me an error at boot time saying something to the effect of 'Debian
> >> cannot load this live image', I forget the rest. I haven't found any info on
> >> updating, though it would seem a simple matter (?)
> >>  
> > ubuntu has an update manager, it tells you when to update etc, I presume  
> > this was not included in pure dyne as its not really needed, you just  
> > need to open up terminal and type sudo apt-get update

slight correction - update will just update the available package list

what you want is
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

rob

> > obviously it will ask for your password and then run through the update
>
>
> also alot of the updates to puredyne 9.11 are quite cosmetic...
> if there are additional packages that are in 9.11 you need just go:
> sudo aptitude update
> sudo aptitude install packagenamehere
>
> you can find a list of the new additions in the changelog:
> http://lists.goto10.org/pipermail/puredyne/2010-April/003594.html
> just replace packagenamehere with the package you want to install
> you can also do a list :
> sudo aptitude install packagenamehere packagenamehere packagenamehere packagenamehere
>
> HTH
>
> rob
>
>
>
> >
> >
> > ---
> > [hidden email]
> > http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> > irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
> >
> --------------
> [hidden email]
> rob.goto10.org
> --------------
>
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>
--------------
[hidden email]
rob.goto10.org
--------------

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
makerprofaze makerprofaze
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update running puredyne 9.10 CD to puredyne 9.11 DVD

This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by makerprofaze
Thanks for the speedy replies. I did "sudo aptitude update" and "sudo aptitude safe-upgrade", as well as 'sudo apt-get update' as recommended in terminal, all successfully (after a few passes). This did not yield the desired result, though it did apparently upgrade my 9.10 CD install to 9.11 CD.

What I want is a way to install/add ALL the packages from puredyne 9.11 DVD to my running puredyne 9.11 CD OS, without having to do it by hand/type out all these additional apps. I'm hoping there's a way to do a full update over the internet which which will result in my having a FULL puredyne 9.11 DVD installation vs my present puredyne 9.11 CD installation. This may be similar to installing/updating a standard Ubuntu to puredyne DVD perhaps? I already have the 9.11 iso, maybe I need to mount it and add it as a local repository? -what would the command be?

PS - This is the Stupendous-OS!
Aymeric Mansoux Aymeric Mansoux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] Update running puredyne 9.10 CD to puredyne 9.11 DVD

makerprofaze said :

>
> Thanks for the speedy replies. I did "sudo aptitude update" and "sudo
> aptitude safe-upgrade", as well as 'sudo apt-get update' as recommended in
> terminal, all successfully (after a few passes). This did not yield the
> desired result, though it did apparently upgrade my 9.10 CD install to 9.11
> CD.
>
> What I want is a way to install/add ALL the packages from puredyne 9.11 DVD
> to my running puredyne 9.11 CD OS, without having to do it by hand/type out
> all these additional apps. I'm hoping there's a way to do a full update over
> the internet which which will result in my having a FULL puredyne 9.11 DVD
> installation vs my present puredyne 9.11 CD installation. This may be
> similar to installing/updating a standard Ubuntu to puredyne DVD perhaps? I
> already have the 9.11 iso, maybe I need to mount it and add it as a local
> repository? -what would the command be?

There is no way to do that automatically at the moment.
So like Rob said, best is to look in the DVD profile folder of broth in
launchpad to see what extra packages are provided and to install them
one by one.

You can download those profiles, as text files, and the ones used by the
the DVD are all ending with "-extra".

Then once you have all these files, in a terminal, as root, do:

xargs -a *-extra aptitude install

a.



---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
makerprofaze makerprofaze
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] Update running puredyne 9.10 CD to puredyne 9.11 DVD

Seems there were some issues concerning the built-in writing to USB sticks. Let it be known that I was finally successful at writing the 9.11dvd.iso with unetbootin, which allowed me to boot the image and install the full collection. Thanks again for the power.