Serious advice on compatible USB Audio Interface.

focal temporal focal temporal

Serious advice on compatible USB Audio Interface.

Hello,

I need a compatible USB Audio Interface for my system. All I need's a line input/output, phantom power XLR input, an instrument input and a headphones output. I've been "flirting" Miditech Audiolink II and Maudio Mobilepre.

From Maudio's site I get no Linux driver... and since I have a Line 6 Tone Port UX1, and did try to get this working with puredyne with no success, I guess I quit and I'm deciding to buy a new one.

What do you suggest, that you think that fits best for my needs?, I REALLY need full drivers support since I'm completely moron on Linux...

Thanks in advance!

Re: [puredyne] Serious advice on compatible USB Audio Interface.

You will love ESI :

This is the one I have :
http://www.esi-audio.com/products/u24xl/

You might want something more similar to that :
http://www.esi-audio.com/products/u46xl/

mine is working like a charm on linux - no driver or anything - really
sweet. I am also installing a pci card from them

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/julia/

I think their hardware is clean enough to not need any driver in
general - but I haven't tried their 'fancier' card

let me know if you do - I really think they should advertise their
linux compatibility on their site.

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:11 PM, esphera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need a compatible USB Audio Interface for my system. All I need's a line
> input/output, phantom power XLR input, an instrument input and a headphones
> output. I've been "flirting" Miditech Audiolink II and Maudio Mobilepre.
>
> From Maudio's site I get no Linux driver... and since I have a Line 6 Tone
> Port UX1, and did try to get this working with puredyne with no success, I
> guess I quit and I'm deciding to buy a new one.
>
> What do you suggest, that you think that fits best for my needs?, I REALLY
> need full drivers support since I'm completely moron on Linux...
>
> Thanks in advance!

ailo ailo

Re: [puredyne] Serious advice on compatible USB Audio Interface.

In Linux you don't need to install any external drivers. "Alsa" supports pci and usb audio, while "ffado" and "freebob" takes care of firewire support.

M-Audio Mobile Pre is listed among supported Alsa devices, however there is no detailed info about it.
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-MAudio

I found that in order to get the Mobile Pre working you need to install this:

"madfuload"

"This package allows you to use M-Audio's DFU audio devices
with Linux. These devices require a firmware download before
an operating system driver (e.g. ALSA's snd-usb-audio) can
access them.

Supported devices:
 - Sonica
 - Ozone
 - MobilePre USB (some newer models work without the loader)
 - Transit
The loader is not required for some newer models of the above devices,
like the Ozone Academic."

I only have experience from the smaller version "Fast Track", which I think is a safe bet.

On 10/08/2010 01:27 AM, geoffroy tremblay wrote:
[...]

From Maudio's site I get no Linux driver... and since I have a Line 6 Tone
Port UX1, and did try to get this working with puredyne with no success, I
guess I quit and I'm deciding to buy a new one.

What do you suggest, that you think that fits best for my needs?, I REALLY
need full drivers support since I'm completely moron on Linux...

Thanks in advance!

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne">irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne">irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

Re: [puredyne] Serious advice on compatible USB Audio Interface.

I have the M-Audio FastTrack Pro and that doesn't need external
drivers. In general, if there are linux drivers offered then I'd be
suspicious! Much better if the things Ailo mentions support it
natively.

Ailo: on my fasttrack pro I've always had the issue that it presents
as two separate devices, so I have four outputs but I can only use two
at once. Did you have that issue, and did you do anything about it?

Dan

2010/10/8 ailo <[hidden email]>:

> In Linux you don't need to install any external drivers. "Alsa" supports pci
> and usb audio, while "ffado" and "freebob" takes care of firewire support.
>
> M-Audio Mobile Pre is listed among supported Alsa devices, however there is
> no detailed info about it.
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-MAudio
>
> I found that in order to get the Mobile Pre working you need to install
> this:
>
> "madfuload"
>
> "This package allows you to use M-Audio's DFU audio devices
> with Linux. These devices require a firmware download before
> an operating system driver (e.g. ALSA's snd-usb-audio) can
> access them.
>
> Supported devices:
>  - Sonica
>  - Ozone
>  - MobilePre USB (some newer models work without the loader)
>  - Transit
> The loader is not required for some newer models of the above devices,
> like the Ozone Academic."
>
> I only have experience from the smaller version "Fast Track", which I think
> is a safe bet.
>

> On 10/08/2010 01:27 AM, geoffroy tremblay wrote:
>
> You will love ESI :
>
> This is the one I have :
> http://www.esi-audio.com/products/u24xl/
>
> You might want something more similar to that :
> http://www.esi-audio.com/products/u46xl/
>
> mine is working like a charm on linux - no driver or anything - really
> sweet. I am also installing a pci card from them
>
> http://www.esi-audio.com/products/julia/
>
> I think their hardware is clean enough to not need any driver in
> general - but I haven't tried their 'fancier' card
>
> let me know if you do - I really think they should advertise their
> linux compatibility on their site.
>

> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:11 PM, esphera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I need a compatible USB Audio Interface for my system. All I need's a line
> input/output, phantom power XLR input, an instrument input and a headphones
> output. I've been "flirting" Miditech Audiolink II and Maudio Mobilepre.
>
> From Maudio's site I get no Linux driver... and since I have a Line 6 Tone
> Port UX1, and did try to get this working with puredyne with no success, I
> guess I quit and I'm deciding to buy a new one.
>
> What do you suggest, that you think that fits best for my needs?, I REALLY
> need full drivers support since I'm completely moron on Linux...
>
> Thanks in advance!

ailo ailo

Re: [puredyne] Serious advice on compatible USB Audio Interface.

I've only tried Fast Track myself, which has:
1 mic in (phantom power)
1 instrument in
2 line out

I have the impression that when it comes to usb audio, usually only stereo devices work out of the box.
I suppose it has to do with class compliancy?

I found this when reading through the features for Fast Track Pro:
* 16-bit/48kHz 2 x 4 operation is class-compliant. Driver installation required to access more I/O.

I would guess it means, that without specific drivers you get:
2 audio in,
2 audio out
2 spdif

So, I would assume that you do have access to all 4 outputs, only, 2 of them are digital?

On 10/08/2010 09:37 AM, Dan S wrote:
I have the M-Audio FastTrack Pro and that doesn't need external
drivers. In general, if there are linux drivers offered then I'd be
suspicious! Much better if the things Ailo mentions support it
natively.

Ailo: on my fasttrack pro I've always had the issue that it presents
as two separate devices, so I have four outputs but I can only use two
at once. Did you have that issue, and did you do anything about it?

touchstyle touchstyle

Re: Serious advice on compatible USB Audio Interface.

A described here: http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com, I suggest Edirol UA—25 and its successor the UA—25EX.
I have an M-AUDIO Fast-Track, used for multitrack guitar/voice recording. It works out-of-the-box with Puredyne!
I suggest, for +48V of phantom mic connection, a tube preamplifier as Behringer MIC200.

Have a good sounds,
Touch
www.touchstyle.it
touchstyle touchstyle

www.touchstyle.it

Re: [puredyne] Serious advice on compatible USB Audio Interface.

I've been trying to get the M-AUDIO Fast-Track to work myself and keep getting X-runs that shut everything down.  I did a little digging and came to the conclusion that the Fast-Track and linux just were not meant to be.  Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe I'll give it another try.  I've also been looking into how to get cheap +48V phantom power, I've found a couple of sites that show you how to rig up your own, using a bunch of 9V batteries in series.  I think the tube preamp sounds like a good idea too though.

grant

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 3:02 AM, touchstyle <[hidden email]> wrote:

As described here:  http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=hardware
http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com , I suggest Edirol UA—25 and its successor
the UA—25EX.
I have an M-AUDIO Fast-Track, used for multitrack guitar/voice recording. It
works out-of-the-box with Puredyne!
I suggest, for +48V of phantom mic connection, a tube preamplifier as
Behringer MIC200.

Have a good sounds,
Touch
www.touchstyle.it

-----
http://www.touchstyle.it www.touchstyle.it

Re: [puredyne] Serious advice on compatible USB Audio Interface.

I use m-audio fasttrack pro for all my gigs, works fine no problems,
pretty low latency. I don't know if it's the same insides as the
non-pro one...

Dan

2010/11/2 grant centauri <[hidden email]>:

> I've been trying to get the M-AUDIO Fast-Track to work myself and keep
> getting X-runs that shut everything down.  I did a little digging and came
> to the conclusion that the Fast-Track and linux just were not meant to be.
> Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe I'll give it another try.  I've also been looking
> into how to get cheap +48V phantom power, I've found a couple of sites that
> show you how to rig up your own, using a bunch of 9V batteries in series.  I
> think the tube preamp sounds like a good idea too though.
>
> grant
>
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 3:02 AM, touchstyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> As described here:  http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=hardware
>> http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com , I suggest Edirol UA—25 and its successor
>> the UA—25EX.
>> I have an M-AUDIO Fast-Track, used for multitrack guitar/voice recording.
>> It
>> works out-of-the-box with Puredyne!
>> I suggest, for +48V of phantom mic connection, a tube preamplifier as
>> Behringer MIC200.
>>
>> Have a good sounds,
>> Touch
>> www.touchstyle.it
>>
>> -----
>> http://www.touchstyle.it www.touchstyle.it

touchstyle touchstyle

Re: [puredyne] Serious advice on compatible USB Audio Interface.

grant centauri wrote
I've been trying to get the M-AUDIO Fast-Track to work myself and keep
getting X-runs that shut everything down.  I did a little digging and came
to the conclusion that the Fast-Track and linux just were not meant to be.
Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe I'll give it another try.
No x-runs with 128 frames, 3 buffers and sampling by 44.100 (with RT and HW mon/meter). Latency 8.71msec.
Some X-runs when use 2 buffers (5.8msec!).

Have a good sounds,
Touch
www.touchstyle.it

Re: [puredyne] Serious advice on compatible USB Audio Interface.

okay, well i tried it again, and it seems to be working with those settings.  i think before it might have been crashing because i was trying to use the fast track as only input and still have output from my sound card.

so i've got a mic plugged in and everything seems to be working, I just can't seem to get the system to get any sound.  I can hear myself in the headphones from the Fast-Track if i set the mix to input, but I can't get Ardour to receive any audio.  Audacity seems to crash if I try it out.

i get this in my Ardour log when trying to reconnect to Jack:

[ERROR]: could not reconnect alsa_pcm:capture_1 and ardour:Audio 2/in 1 (err = -1)
[ERROR]: could not reconnect alsa_pcm:capture_2 and ardour:Audio 2/in 2 (err = -1)

any ideas?

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 3:00 PM, touchstyle <[hidden email]> wrote:

grant centauri wrote:

> I've been trying to get the M-AUDIO Fast-Track to work myself and keep
> getting X-runs that shut everything down.  I did a little digging and came
> to the conclusion that the Fast-Track and linux just were not meant to be.
> Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe I'll give it another try.

No x-runs with 128 frames, 3 buffers and sampling by 44.100 (with RT and HW
mon/meter). Latency 8.71msec.
Some X-runs when use 2 buffers (5.8msec!).

Have a good sounds,
Touch
www.touchstyle.it

-----
http://www.touchstyle.it www.touchstyle.it

ailo ailo

Re: [puredyne] Serious advice on compatible USB Audio Interface.

As far as I know, Audacity won't work well with jack, so you will have
to use alsa for that.

It might help if we knew how you set up jack and in which order you
start your programs (jack/ardour).

I'm also assuming that you did not install any extra programs like
pulseaudio, and that you are running a puredyne system.

If you like, you could give this a try, to see if it works.
If it does, it's just a matter of finding the right settings for you:

Open up a terminal and run some commands.
First find out which number your card has with this command:

ls /proc/asound/cards

The result would be something like this:
"0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xf9200000 irq 45
1 [Live           ]: EMU10K1 - SB Live! [SB0105]
                      SB Live! [SB0105] (rev.7, serial:0x806b1102)"

Let's say your m-audio card was marked as number 0.
Start jack in the terminal with this command:

jackd -d alsa -d hw:0

If it was marked number 1, you would do

jackd -d alsa -d hw:1

Now, the result should end with something like this:
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

Keep the terminal open and start Ardour.
First import/open a sound file to see if you can get playback.
(Make sure that you have not set mix to input yet)
If yes, then you should also be able to record.
You will just need to select the right input from ardour.
Finally use Ctrl-c to stop jack in the terminal.

Each time you restart your computer, your soundcards load in any given
order, so you will normally need to choose the right card in qjackctrl
before you start jack.

About FastTrack:

The fasttrack has a direct output for whatever goes in, meaning the
sound never passes through the computer before you hear it in your
headphones.
This is what happens when you set mix to input.
If you for instance use a soft-amp for your guitar in realtime, you
would not want to use the direct output, but instead monitor yourself
from the computer.
If you are not using any effects in realtime, while you record, you
won't need to have low latency in jack settings, since you have the
direct output from your card. In this case you can set the buffersize
(frames/period) really high, which gives you some performance
improvement.

Hope it works out.

// ailo

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 15:51 -0500, grant centauri wrote:

> okay, well i tried it again, and it seems to be working with those
> settings.  i think before it might have been crashing because i was
> trying to use the fast track as only input and still have output from
> my sound card.
>
> so i've got a mic plugged in and everything seems to be working, I
> just can't seem to get the system to get any sound.  I can hear myself
> in the headphones from the Fast-Track if i set the mix to input, but I
> can't get Ardour to receive any audio.
>
> i get this in my Ardour log when trying to reconnect to Jack:
>
> [ERROR]: could not reconnect alsa_pcm:capture_1 and ardour:Audio 2/in
> 1 (err = -1)
> [ERROR]: could not reconnect alsa_pcm:capture_2 and ardour:Audio 2/in
> 2 (err = -1)
>
> any ideas?
>
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 3:00 PM, touchstyle <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>         grant centauri wrote:
>         >
>         > I've been trying to get the M-AUDIO Fast-Track to work
>         myself and keep
>         > getting X-runs that shut everything down.  I did a little
>         digging and came
>         > to the conclusion that the Fast-Track and linux just were
>         not meant to be.
>         > Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe I'll give it another try.
>         >
>
>         No x-runs with 128 frames, 3 buffers and sampling by 44.100
>         (with RT and HW
>         mon/meter). Latency 8.71msec.
>         Some X-runs when use 2 buffers (5.8msec!).
>
>         Have a good sounds,
>         Touch
>         www.touchstyle.it
>
>         -----
>         http://www.touchstyle.it www.touchstyle.it
>         --

>         ---
>         [hidden email]
>         http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>         irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

nescivi nescivi

Re: [puredyne] Serious advice on compatible USB Audio Interface.

Hiho,

On Friday 08 October 2010 10:18:14 ailo wrote:
>   I've only tried Fast Track myself, which has:
> 1 mic in (phantom power)
> 1 instrument in
> 2 line out
>
> I have the impression that when it comes to usb audio, usually only
> stereo devices work out of the box.
> I suppose it has to do with class compliancy?

I don't think it is a general thing... I had a (cheap) Terratec 5.1 surround
USB card, which was able to use all channels without special drivers.

Can't test it anymore since it broke alltogether.

sincerely,
Marije