Re: [puredyne] macbook pro config questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Aymeric Mansoux Aymeric Mansoux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] macbook pro config questions

gusano said :
> ok I fixed the keyboard issue (RTFM ;) but the font dpi issue is
> still there and makes emacs and login window unusable (fonts are
> very very big).
> I guess that I have to add a dpi setting to gdm but I dunno where..
> I tried in .Xressources and/or .Xdefaults but it didn't change anything.

Is it an NVIDIA card?
I saw once with jk, a macbook with same issue, setting the DPI (via
xrandr) did not help. I think it was an NVIDIA powered macbook and
installing the binary blobs helped.

a.
--
http://su.kuri.mu


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
gusano gusano
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] macbook pro config questions

yes:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600M GT]

What do you mean by binary blobs ?

cheers,
_y



On 04/06/10 13:41, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:

> gusano said :
>> ok I fixed the keyboard issue (RTFM ;) but the font dpi issue is
>> still there and makes emacs and login window unusable (fonts are
>> very very big).
>> I guess that I have to add a dpi setting to gdm but I dunno where..
>> I tried in .Xressources and/or .Xdefaults but it didn't change anything.
>
> Is it an NVIDIA card?
> I saw once with jk, a macbook with same issue, setting the DPI (via
> xrandr) did not help. I think it was an NVIDIA powered macbook and
> installing the binary blobs helped.
>
> a.


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Ricardo Gabriel Herdt Ricardo Gabriel Herdt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] macbook pro config questions

That's open-source vocabulary. NVIDIA develops linux drivers for their
cards but don't open-source their code (they ship only binaries,
that's why binary blob), so the distros, kernel developers etc. can't
modifiy it, look for security holes etc.
The community, however, develops free drivers, like the Nouveau
project.They are working hard on this, but without support from
nvidia.

2010/6/4 gusano <[hidden email]>:
> yes:
> VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600M GT]
>
> What do you mean by binary blobs ?
>
> cheers,
> _y
>
>

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
gusano gusano
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] macbook pro config questions

ah ok.
FYI installing nvidia-glx-185 doesn't help.

_y




On 04/06/10 14:55, Ricardo G. Herdt wrote:

> That's open-source vocabulary. NVIDIA develops linux drivers for their
> cards but don't open-source their code (they ship only binaries,
> that's why binary blob), so the distros, kernel developers etc. can't
> modifiy it, look for security holes etc.
> The community, however, develops free drivers, like the Nouveau
> project.They are working hard on this, but without support from
> nvidia.
>
> 2010/6/4 gusano<[hidden email]>:
>> yes:
>> VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600M GT]
>>
>> What do you mean by binary blobs ?
>>
>> cheers,
>> _y
>>
>>
>
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne