Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
grant centauri grant centauri
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

This might be totally obvious, but have you tried running sudo qjackctl from the command line?  I don't know if the fix suggested on the bug page actually worked for you or not:

I think the problem is /dev/raw1394 is group disk, set in /etc/udev/

rules.d/40-permissions.rules , which standard users aren't a member of.
If I add myself to the disk group and re-login, I don't have to run jackd as root anymore.

And I'm not quite sure but I think this may mean the fix hasn't been implemented in the current release yet:

Aymeric Mansoux on 2010-01-17
Changed in puredyne-live:
status: Incomplete → Fix Committed
 
So perhaps running qjackctl as root will work, or if you can figure out how to add yourself to the disk group then you can run as the standard user.  (I'm in front of a public Mac machine right now and am no guru so can't just tell you how to do that off the top of my head.)

-grant


On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:35 AM, gusano <[hidden email]> wrote:
hola

concerning this bug:
I installed the last 9.11 release and I still have the same issues with my FireWire soundcard, m-audio fw410:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/puredyne-live/+bug/506064

I have this error message:
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 99) [for thread -1218614416, from thread -1218614416] (1: Operation not permitted)

and I have *a lot* of xruns...

I am of course part of the audio group, but it seems that something is wrong somewhere (sorry i'm not an expert).
I tried with various different jack settings but no luck (the same hardware with my basic settings were working perfectly with miso and lp...).

Any hint would be greatly appreciated (I start freaking out a bit because I have a lot of concerts coming up soon!)

cheers
_y

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
gusano gusano
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

hi

Maybe I was not clear enough when I submitted this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/puredyne-live/+bug/506064
but the main issue was the xruns (not the fact that I had to run qjackctl as root).

With 9.11, I don't have to run qjackctl as root anymore, indeed.
Strangely enough, I don't have the "operation not permitted" error anymore neither.

Good ? Not really because I still have all those xruns-of-the-death with whatever settings I use.

Tried with 2, 3, 4 buffers (512, 1024, 2048...), etc, same problem.
I also tried to change my settings (memlock unlimited) in /etc/security/limits.conf ...

Unfortunately, this makes my FW soundcard unusable with pure:dyne c&c on my machine ::sadness::
Next week I'll be able to try with another machine & same card to test further.

In the worst case, I could maybe use again l&p from usb just for concerts but I guess that I wouldn't be able to update some libs in order to compile a recent version of sc.. Anyway, is there a place where I could get older p:d version ?

_y
ps: btw my soundcard is a Presonus Firebox, not a m-audio, sorry.



On 31/03/10 23:09, grant centauri wrote:
This might be totally obvious, but have you tried running sudo qjackctl from the command line?  I don't know if the fix suggested on the bug page actually worked for you or not:

I think the problem is /dev/raw1394 is group disk, set in /etc/udev/

rules.d/40-permissions.rules , which standard users aren't a member of.
If I add myself to the disk group and re-login, I don't have to run jackd as root anymore.

And I'm not quite sure but I think this may mean the fix hasn't been implemented in the current release yet:

Aymeric Mansoux on 2010-01-17
Changed in puredyne-live:
status: Incomplete → Fix Committed
 
So perhaps running qjackctl as root will work, or if you can figure out how to add yourself to the disk group then you can run as the standard user.  (I'm in front of a public Mac machine right now and am no guru so can't just tell you how to do that off the top of my head.)

-grant


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
DanS DanS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

Hi -

I don't have firewire kit to test, I'm afraid, but maybe you could try
running the "latencytop" program (not installed by default, but
available in the repos) to detect the source of the xruns?

It could be a question of IRQ priorities I imagine.

Dan


2010/4/1 gusano <[hidden email]>

>
> hi
>
> Maybe I was not clear enough when I submitted this bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/puredyne-live/+bug/506064
> but the main issue was the xruns (not the fact that I had to run qjackctl as root).
>
> With 9.11, I don't have to run qjackctl as root anymore, indeed.
> Strangely enough, I don't have the "operation not permitted" error anymore neither.
>
> Good ? Not really because I still have all those xruns-of-the-death with whatever settings I use.
>
> Tried with 2, 3, 4 buffers (512, 1024, 2048...), etc, same problem.
> I also tried to change my settings (memlock unlimited) in /etc/security/limits.conf ...
>
> Unfortunately, this makes my FW soundcard unusable with pure:dyne c&c on my machine ::sadness::
> Next week I'll be able to try with another machine & same card to test further.
>
> In the worst case, I could maybe use again l&p from usb just for concerts but I guess that I wouldn't be able to update some libs in order to compile a recent version of sc.. Anyway, is there a place where I could get older p:d version ?
>
> _y
> ps: btw my soundcard is a Presonus Firebox, not a m-audio, sorry.
>
>
>
> On 31/03/10 23:09, grant centauri wrote:
>
> This might be totally obvious, but have you tried running sudo qjackctl from the command line?  I don't know if the fix suggested on the bug page actually worked for you or not:
>
>> I think the problem is /dev/raw1394 is group disk, set in /etc/udev/
>>
>> rules.d/40-permissions.rules , which standard users aren't a member of.
>> If I add myself to the disk group and re-login, I don't have to run jackd as root anymore.
>
> And I'm not quite sure but I think this may mean the fix hasn't been implemented in the current release yet:
>
> Aymeric Mansoux on 2010-01-17
> Changed in puredyne-live:
> status: Incomplete → Fix Committed
>
>
> So perhaps running qjackctl as root will work, or if you can figure out how to add yourself to the disk group then you can run as the standard user.  (I'm in front of a public Mac machine right now and am no guru so can't just tell you how to do that off the top of my head.)
>
> -grant
>
>
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne



--
http://www.mcld.co.uk

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
gusano gusano
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

On 01/04/10 16:54, Dan S wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I don't have firewire kit to test, I'm afraid, but maybe you could try
> running the "latencytop" program (not installed by default, but
> available in the repos) to detect the source of the xruns?
>
> It could be a question of IRQ priorities I imagine.
>
> Dan

hi Dan
thanks for the tip
here is the output of latencytop while running sc (135 xruns after a few
minutes with cpu at 35%...):

############################################################################
Cause                                                Maximum     Percentage
Executing raw SCSI command                         15.9 msec          4.1 %
Scheduler: waiting for cpu                         15.1 msec         69.4 %
SCSI cdrom ioctl                                   14.0 msec          0.6 %
Waiting for event (select)                          4.9 msec         15.7 %
Waiting for event (poll)                            4.5 msec          8.8 %
Reading from a pipe                                 3.0 msec          0.2 %
opening cdrom device                                2.2 msec          0.8 %
Userspace lock contention                           1.0 msec          0.2 %
Receiving TCP/IP data                               0.5 msec          0.0 %

Process hald-addon-stor (1555)             Total: 111.3 msec
############################################################################

I'm not sure to understand this I'm afraid...

_y
ps: I had only jack, scel and xterm running
pps: is there still Leek and Potato on a server somewhere so I could do
tests with it also ?

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Aymeric Mansoux Aymeric Mansoux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

In reply to this post by DanS
Dan S said :
> Hi -
>
> I don't have firewire kit to test, I'm afraid, but maybe you could try
> running the "latencytop" program (not installed by default, but
> available in the repos) to detect the source of the xruns?

sounds like this one should be added to the CD...

 
> It could be a question of IRQ priorities I imagine.

And/Or we need a more recent ALSA....

It would be good to try if a generic kernel + the ALSA backport modules
package would make any difference.

@Karsten: did you check if we could get the ALSA backports working for
the RT kernel we use? This would be really good to be able to keep this
as fresh as possible.

@gusano: stupid test/question do you also have xruns when you run jackd
from a console *without* X running? Regarding previous Puredyne
releases, every download mirrors has them, just go to the parent
directories and browse.

a.



---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Karsten Gebbert Karsten Gebbert
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

Aymeric Mansoux said :
> Dan S said :
> > Hi -
> >
> > I don't have firewire kit to test, I'm afraid, but maybe you could try
> > running the "latencytop" program (not installed by default, but
> > available in the repos) to detect the source of the xruns?
>

me neither, can't really tell whats wrong without it :(

> sounds like this one should be added to the CD...
>

yep true, I didn't even know it exists!

>  
> > It could be a question of IRQ priorities I imagine.
>
> And/Or we need a more recent ALSA....
>

I don't  think this uses ALSA  at all to be  honest, its a  firewire device that
uses the freebob  backend as far as  I understand. It could be  that between now
and versions that are in L&P and  Miso there have been regressions in the driver
code for  that device, so  one thing  one could try  is to backport  the freebob
driver from these versions to karmic and see if it works better.

> It would be good to try if a generic kernel + the ALSA backport modules
> package would make any difference.
>
> @Karsten: did you check if we could get the ALSA backports working for
> the RT kernel we use? This would be really good to be able to keep this
> as fresh as possible.

I checked,  but its not trivial  as it requires quite  a lot of  tweaking in the
packaging  part  (it  also  uses  this  kernel  build  system  that  is  largely
undocumented (or at least not very  well documented to date). It should become a
priority  for  the next  sprint  to develop  a  kernel  engineering process  and
document it thoroughly.

>
> @gusano: stupid test/question do you also have xruns when you run jackd
> from a console *without* X running? Regarding previous Puredyne
> releases, every download mirrors has them, just go to the parent
> directories and browse.




http://krgn.goto10.org --
tel :: +49 (0) 30.6233.475
mob :: +49 (0) 178.8540.102
pgp :: http://krgn.goto10.org/pubkey.asc

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Aymeric Mansoux Aymeric Mansoux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

Karsten Gebbert said :

> > > It could be a question of IRQ priorities I imagine.
> >
> > And/Or we need a more recent ALSA....
> >
>
> I don't  think this uses ALSA  at all to be  honest, its a  firewire device that
> uses the freebob  backend as far as  I understand. It could be  that between now
> and versions that are in L&P and  Miso there have been regressions in the driver
> code for  that device, so  one thing  one could try  is to backport  the freebob
> driver from these versions to karmic and see if it works better.

good point,
@gusano: you should try to get the freebob/faado related packages from
lucid and see it improves anything, if yes, then we could backport them
properly in our PPA.

a.



---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
gusano gusano
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

On 02/04/10 11:55, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:

> Karsten Gebbert said :
>>>> It could be a question of IRQ priorities I imagine.
>>>
>>> And/Or we need a more recent ALSA....
>>
>> I don't  think this uses ALSA  at all to be  honest, its a  firewire device that
>> uses the freebob  backend as far as  I understand. It could be  that between now
>> and versions that are in L&P and  Miso there have been regressions in the driver
>> code for  that device, so  one thing  one could try  is to backport  the freebob
>> driver from these versions to karmic and see if it works better.
>
> good point,
> @gusano: you should try to get the freebob/faado related packages from
> lucid and see it improves anything, if yes, then we could backport them
> properly in our PPA.
>
> a.

- I also have xruns when running jackd and sclang from root console
(without x).

- If somebody explains to me how I can use the lucid freebob/ffado
packages on my system, I'd be willing to test (ie which packages exactly
am I supposed to install/update, only freebob/ffado related ? I'm afraid
I'm a n00b on that one also...).

_y

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Aymeric Mansoux Aymeric Mansoux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

gusano said :
> ok I tested with leek & potato (usb) and my Presonus Firebox works
> like a charm (jack & sc).
> it's a bit weird to go back to this release though :/
>
> if some of you has any hints about trying Lucid ffado/freebob
> packages with c&c, I'll investigate that as well.

to use a package from lucid, you can download it from
packages.ubuntu.com

just look for the right name and manually install with

dpkg --install package-1.23-i386.deb

obviously one package might require that you also get newer packages for
its dependencies...

Another option is to do some karmic/lucid pinning, but that could be a
bit dangerous if you do not know how to do it safely.

a.



---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
gusano gusano
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

sorry to bother again with this but I failed to manually (re-)install jackd.

to upgrade jackd (and libjack0) I first have to remove the older jackd
and if I try that, synaptic wants to remove *all* my packages basically ?!??

I dunno how to manually remove only jackd.

_y


On 02/04/10 18:59, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:

> gusano said :
>> if some of you has any hints about trying Lucid ffado/freebob
>> packages with c&c, I'll investigate that as well.
>
> to use a package from lucid, you can download it from
> packages.ubuntu.com
>
> just look for the right name and manually install with
>
> dpkg --install package-1.23-i386.deb
>
> obviously one package might require that you also get newer packages for
> its dependencies...
>
> Another option is to do some karmic/lucid pinning, but that could be a
> bit dangerous if you do not know how to do it safely.
>
> a.

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
alejoo alejoo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

In reply to this post by gusano
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1


On Apr 2, 2010, at 4:54 PM, gusano wrote:

> if some of you has any hints about trying Lucid ffado/freebob  
> packages with c&c, I'll investigate that as well.

im running here c&c 910, i had to install ffado-debus-server then ran  
it as root, then launch qjackctrl as root set firewire as my driver  
and i got the edirol fa-101 running for few hours with the usual few  
xruns related to opening and closing applications that use jack....

(i know is a simple permissions problem to allow the user to run it  
also but im ok doing it as root:)

i have to try same stuff with 911 but since im fine with the set up as  
it is i prefer to not rock the boat.

also, i agree that printing and searching can be of use, those things  
are obviously to be only included in a FBDVD (as in FULL BLOWN DVD)...  
i mean i will not even add them to the DVD as it is in broth... if i  
needed those things to coexist well then xubuntu/crunchbang with the  
puredyne PPA in the apt sources will be an option.

/a


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.14 (Darwin)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJLtzDIAAoJEM3QBIkhhlZkb5wIAM1GsRNbRbB6lgOHstldYZD2
A9KYAoBjUHhB+FDS44WQaS8b1DE6lKV4cZlMrKopEL9pb/9q7x/zTTjN2MS+TCfH
8boPWcW94UUoQVwRz+x3IiLL1KvWH6B9qooiPhEwtUrAZY8Tew2oCPpE8NSeNkLb
rrLEK+0iiQ5ptc26Zoffe1zOPjqN50BBsH2GLHUPrBLbTaPPijlhVjLBc9R6miLq
giFXdpevlXe864VsGioZeVhAbCQHZgqd6/AsfZ54TXpGF01daH8H6mJj/e29QI/Z
wGcrQ34OTllEUSQE0oDs+DDJBTBv3kCkjAknhzY/6B1gCMFHsrPCIDKyIw0VdIo=
=bfNy
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Karsten Gebbert Karsten Gebbert
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

In reply to this post by gusano
gusano said :
> sorry to bother again with this but I failed to manually (re-)install jackd.
>

how come jackd reinstall? did libfreebob/ffado require you to upgrade that too?

> to upgrade jackd (and libjack0) I first have to remove the older
> jackd and if I try that, synaptic wants to remove *all* my packages
> basically ?!??
>

yes makes sense,  but how come you  couldn't just upgrade all the  jack libs, so
libjack0, libjack0.100, jackd and possibly something else?  you can install like
this I think:

sudo dpkg -i libjack0.100 libjack0 jackd libffado bla

> I dunno how to manually remove only jackd.
>
> _y
>
>
> On 02/04/10 18:59, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:
> >gusano said :
> >>if some of you has any hints about trying Lucid ffado/freebob
> >>packages with c&c, I'll investigate that as well.
> >
> >to use a package from lucid, you can download it from
> >packages.ubuntu.com
> >
> >just look for the right name and manually install with
> >
> >dpkg --install package-1.23-i386.deb
> >
> >obviously one package might require that you also get newer packages for
> >its dependencies...
> >
> >Another option is to do some karmic/lucid pinning, but that could be a
> >bit dangerous if you do not know how to do it safely.
> >
> >a.
>
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>


http://krgn.goto10.org --
tel :: +49 (0) 30.6233.475
mob :: +49 (0) 178.8540.102
pgp :: http://krgn.goto10.org/pubkey.asc

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
gusano gusano
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

yes libffado2 and libjack0 depend on a more recent jackd, therefore sudo
dpkg -i xxx was complaining that I had a too old jackd version and
wouldn't install packages.

I eventually got a broken "mountall" and had to re-install puredyne :/
I'm afraid I don't have the skills to do this kinda tests..

_y


On 04/04/10 09:30, Karsten Gebbert wrote:

> gusano said :
>> sorry to bother again with this but I failed to manually (re-)install jackd.
>>      
>
> how come jackd reinstall? did libfreebob/ffado require you to upgrade that too?
>
>> to upgrade jackd (and libjack0) I first have to remove the older
>> jackd and if I try that, synaptic wants to remove *all* my packages
>> basically ?!??
>
> yes makes sense,  but how come you  couldn't just upgrade all the  jack libs, so
> libjack0, libjack0.100, jackd and possibly something else?  you can install like
> this I think:
>
> sudo dpkg -i libjack0.100 libjack0 jackd libffado bla
>
>> I dunno how to manually remove only jackd.
>>
>> _y
>>
>>
>> On 02/04/10 18:59, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:
>>> gusano said :
>>>> if some of you has any hints about trying Lucid ffado/freebob
>>>> packages with c&c, I'll investigate that as well.
>>>
>>> to use a package from lucid, you can download it from
>>> packages.ubuntu.com
>>>
>>> just look for the right name and manually install with
>>>
>>> dpkg --install package-1.23-i386.deb
>>>
>>> obviously one package might require that you also get newer packages for
>>> its dependencies...
>>>
>>> Another option is to do some karmic/lucid pinning, but that could be a
>>> bit dangerous if you do not know how to do it safely.
>>>
>>> a.


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
DanS DanS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

OK, well if you still have patience (!) then I have another suggestion!

I'm about to send a mail to the list about an updated version of jack.
I don't have firewire so I have no way of knowing if it fixes your
problems but it includes a package called jack-firewire which provides
fw backends.

In my other mail there will be instructions on how to do it. It's
experimental but who knows it may just fix you...?

Dan


2010/4/4 gusano <[hidden email]>:

> yes libffado2 and libjack0 depend on a more recent jackd, therefore sudo
> dpkg -i xxx was complaining that I had a too old jackd version and wouldn't
> install packages.
>
> I eventually got a broken "mountall" and had to re-install puredyne :/
> I'm afraid I don't have the skills to do this kinda tests..
>
> _y
>
>
> On 04/04/10 09:30, Karsten Gebbert wrote:
>>
>> gusano said :
>>>
>>> sorry to bother again with this but I failed to manually (re-)install
>>> jackd.
>>>
>>
>> how come jackd reinstall? did libfreebob/ffado require you to upgrade that
>> too?
>>
>>> to upgrade jackd (and libjack0) I first have to remove the older
>>> jackd and if I try that, synaptic wants to remove *all* my packages
>>> basically ?!??
>>
>> yes makes sense,  but how come you  couldn't just upgrade all the  jack
>> libs, so
>> libjack0, libjack0.100, jackd and possibly something else?  you can
>> install like
>> this I think:
>>
>> sudo dpkg -i libjack0.100 libjack0 jackd libffado bla
>>
>>> I dunno how to manually remove only jackd.
>>>
>>> _y
>>>
>>>
>>> On 02/04/10 18:59, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:
>>>>
>>>> gusano said :
>>>>>
>>>>> if some of you has any hints about trying Lucid ffado/freebob
>>>>> packages with c&c, I'll investigate that as well.
>>>>
>>>> to use a package from lucid, you can download it from
>>>> packages.ubuntu.com
>>>>
>>>> just look for the right name and manually install with
>>>>
>>>> dpkg --install package-1.23-i386.deb
>>>>
>>>> obviously one package might require that you also get newer packages for
>>>> its dependencies...
>>>>
>>>> Another option is to do some karmic/lucid pinning, but that could be a
>>>> bit dangerous if you do not know how to do it safely.
>>>>
>>>> a.
>
>
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>



--
http://www.mcld.co.uk

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
gusano gusano
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

sure!
in the worst case I'm beginning an expert with
installing-puredyne/updating-compiling-sc =)

cheers
_y


On 04/04/10 12:43, Dan S wrote:

> OK, well if you still have patience (!) then I have another suggestion!
>
> I'm about to send a mail to the list about an updated version of jack.
> I don't have firewire so I have no way of knowing if it fixes your
> problems but it includes a package called jack-firewire which provides
> fw backends.
>
> In my other mail there will be instructions on how to do it. It's
> experimental but who knows it may just fix you...?
>
> Dan
>
>
> 2010/4/4 gusano<[hidden email]>:
>> yes libffado2 and libjack0 depend on a more recent jackd, therefore sudo
>> dpkg -i xxx was complaining that I had a too old jackd version and wouldn't
>> install packages.
>>
>> I eventually got a broken "mountall" and had to re-install puredyne :/
>> I'm afraid I don't have the skills to do this kinda tests..
>>
>> _y
>>
>>
>> On 04/04/10 09:30, Karsten Gebbert wrote:
>>>
>>> gusano said :
>>>>
>>>> sorry to bother again with this but I failed to manually (re-)install
>>>> jackd.
>>>>
>>>
>>> how come jackd reinstall? did libfreebob/ffado require you to upgrade that
>>> too?
>>>
>>>> to upgrade jackd (and libjack0) I first have to remove the older
>>>> jackd and if I try that, synaptic wants to remove *all* my packages
>>>> basically ?!??
>>>
>>> yes makes sense,  but how come you  couldn't just upgrade all the  jack
>>> libs, so
>>> libjack0, libjack0.100, jackd and possibly something else?  you can
>>> install like
>>> this I think:
>>>
>>> sudo dpkg -i libjack0.100 libjack0 jackd libffado bla
>>>
>>>> I dunno how to manually remove only jackd.
>>>>
>>>> _y
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 02/04/10 18:59, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> gusano said :
>>>>>>
>>>>>> if some of you has any hints about trying Lucid ffado/freebob
>>>>>> packages with c&c, I'll investigate that as well.
>>>>>
>>>>> to use a package from lucid, you can download it from
>>>>> packages.ubuntu.com
>>>>>
>>>>> just look for the right name and manually install with
>>>>>
>>>>> dpkg --install package-1.23-i386.deb
>>>>>
>>>>> obviously one package might require that you also get newer packages for
>>>>> its dependencies...
>>>>>
>>>>> Another option is to do some karmic/lucid pinning, but that could be a
>>>>> bit dangerous if you do not know how to do it safely.
>>>>>
>>>>> a.
>>
>>
>> ---
>> [hidden email]
>> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>>
>
>
>


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
alejoo alejoo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

hiall,


On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM, gusano <[hidden email]> wrote:
sure!
in the worst case I'm beginning an expert with installing-puredyne/updating-compiling-sc =)



i have continue to test c&c 910 and the only thing i had to install was ffado-debus-server.

i know there is a permissions problem but i dont mind running the above mentioned service and qjackctrl as root.

have been playing with packetpunk and calf the last 2 days and the only xruns are related to turning apps on and off.

my card is the edirol FA-101.

gusano, manten la calma!

:)

/a

 


On 04/04/10 12:43, Dan S wrote:
OK, well if you still have patience (!) then I have another suggestion!

I'm about to send a mail to the list about an updated version of jack.
I don't have firewire so I have no way of knowing if it fixes your
problems but it includes a package called jack-firewire which provides
fw backends.

In my other mail there will be instructions on how to do it. It's
experimental but who knows it may just fix you...?

Dan


2010/4/4 gusano<[hidden email]>:
yes libffado2 and libjack0 depend on a more recent jackd, therefore sudo
dpkg -i xxx was complaining that I had a too old jackd version and wouldn't
install packages.

I eventually got a broken "mountall" and had to re-install puredyne :/
I'm afraid I don't have the skills to do this kinda tests..

_y


On 04/04/10 09:30, Karsten Gebbert wrote:

gusano said :

sorry to bother again with this but I failed to manually (re-)install
jackd.


how come jackd reinstall? did libfreebob/ffado require you to upgrade that
too?

to upgrade jackd (and libjack0) I first have to remove the older
jackd and if I try that, synaptic wants to remove *all* my packages
basically ?!??

yes makes sense,  but how come you  couldn't just upgrade all the  jack
libs, so
libjack0, libjack0.100, jackd and possibly something else?  you can
install like
this I think:

sudo dpkg -i libjack0.100 libjack0 jackd libffado bla

I dunno how to manually remove only jackd.

_y


On 02/04/10 18:59, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:

gusano said :

if some of you has any hints about trying Lucid ffado/freebob
packages with c&c, I'll investigate that as well.

to use a package from lucid, you can download it from
packages.ubuntu.com

just look for the right name and manually install with

dpkg --install package-1.23-i386.deb

obviously one package might require that you also get newer packages for
its dependencies...

Another option is to do some karmic/lucid pinning, but that could be a
bit dangerous if you do not know how to do it safely.

a.


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne






---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
gusano gusano
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

hi

I installed the newer jack version from Dan and it gave me even more xruns.
now I added ffado-debus-server and it looks a bit better, but it's still
not useable.
(I get xruns as soon as my cpu goes around 45%, but not before)

if I could find a way to revert my jackd package to test the old one
with ffado-debus-server, it would be nice.
otherwise, I'm gonna re-install p:d again..

gracias
_y



On 04/04/10 13:48, alejo d wrote:

> hiall,
>
> i have continue to test c&c 910 and the only thing i had to install
> was ffado-debus-server.
>
> i know there is a permissions problem but i dont mind running the
> above mentioned service and qjackctrl as root.
>
> have been playing with packetpunk and calf the last 2 days and the
> only xruns are related to turning apps on and off.
>
> my card is the edirol FA-101.
>
> gusano, manten la calma!
>
> :)
>
> /a

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
DanS DanS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

use the 'force version' option in synaptic to choose which jack to install

2010/4/5 gusano <[hidden email]>:

> hi
>
> I installed the newer jack version from Dan and it gave me even more xruns.
> now I added ffado-debus-server and it looks a bit better, but it's still not
> useable.
> (I get xruns as soon as my cpu goes around 45%, but not before)
>
> if I could find a way to revert my jackd package to test the old one with
> ffado-debus-server, it would be nice.
> otherwise, I'm gonna re-install p:d again..
>
> gracias
> _y
>
>
>
> On 04/04/10 13:48, alejo d wrote:
>>
>> hiall,
>>
>> i have continue to test c&c 910 and the only thing i had to install was
>> ffado-debus-server.
>>
>> i know there is a permissions problem but i dont mind running the above
>> mentioned service and qjackctrl as root.
>>
>> have been playing with packetpunk and calf the last 2 days and the only
>> xruns are related to turning apps on and off.
>>
>> my card is the edirol FA-101.
>>
>> gusano, manten la calma!
>>
>> :)
>>
>> /a
>
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>



--
http://www.mcld.co.uk

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
gusano gusano
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] jack fw issues (again)

the problem is that synaptic wanna remove nearly all my packages if I
try to install the older jackd with the 'force version' option.

_y


On 05/04/10 13:25, Dan S wrote:

> use the 'force version' option in synaptic to choose which jack to install
>
> 2010/4/5 gusano<[hidden email]>:
>> hi
>>
>> I installed the newer jack version from Dan and it gave me even more xruns.
>> now I added ffado-debus-server and it looks a bit better, but it's still not
>> useable.
>> (I get xruns as soon as my cpu goes around 45%, but not before)
>>
>> if I could find a way to revert my jackd package to test the old one with
>> ffado-debus-server, it would be nice.
>> otherwise, I'm gonna re-install p:d again..
>>
>> gracias
>> _y
>>
>>
>>
>> On 04/04/10 13:48, alejo d wrote:
>>>
>>> hiall,
>>>
>>> i have continue to test c&c 910 and the only thing i had to install was
>>> ffado-debus-server.
>>>
>>> i know there is a permissions problem but i dont mind running the above
>>> mentioned service and qjackctrl as root.
>>>
>>> have been playing with packetpunk and calf the last 2 days and the only
>>> xruns are related to turning apps on and off.
>>>
>>> my card is the edirol FA-101.
>>>
>>> gusano, manten la calma!
>>>
>>> :)
>>>
>>> /a
>>


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne