Re: [puredyne] Puredyne Digest, Vol 68, Issue 1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
keithpeter keithpeter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] Puredyne Digest, Vol 68, Issue 1

Hello John and All

I have had Puredyne running on a T42 without issue, but as I'm a
newbie playing around I don't have external cards (yet).

Suggest: try not using the external card for now, and just seeing if
supercollider wants to play with internal sound system. I just
followed the instructions at

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Making_audio

If that works with Jack then you KNOW its a card issue.

Cheers

On 3 January 2011 17:35,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Send Puredyne mailing list submissions to
>        [hidden email]
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        http://lists.goto10.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/puredyne
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        [hidden email]
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        [hidden email]
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Puredyne digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Newbie questions (John Schmitt)
>   2. Re: Newbie questions (Dan S)
>   3. Re: Newbie questions (geoffroy tremblay)
>   4. Re: Newbie questions (Tyler Leavitt)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:36:46 -0800 (PST)
> From: John Schmitt <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [puredyne] Newbie questions
> To: [hidden email]
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Hi list,
>
> after years and years of music making on Windows and MacOS I'm ready to try it
> on Linux, mainly because Apple is starting to annoy me as much as Microsoft did
> before I switched.
>
> Anyway, here's what I want to do:
>
> I'd like to use my laptop as a low latency live audio processing environment
> (Supercollider, maybe in combination with Ardour which I haven't tried yet but
> which looks nice for mixing)
>
> I'd like to control SC (and Ardour) through a midi/usb interface and possibly
> over wifi using OSC.
>
> Here's what I got:
>
> - a Thinkpad T42.
> - a Dawicontrol dw-1394 pcmcia firewire card with TI chipset (no info about this
> stuff on the net).
> - an Echo Audiofire 4 Audiocard with midi interface (described as fully
> supported on the ffado list).
> - an Akai LPD8 midi over usb interface
> - an iPod touch
> - a Wiimote
>
> I've downloaded the latest Puredyne live cd, connected and turned on my Firewire
> interface and booted the T42. I started Jack which gave me an error starting up.
> In the configuration page there was a pulldown device list with some strange
> names. Then I opened SC vim and I didn't even manage to type "{SinOsc.ar}.play"
> It was pure frustration. I didn't understand a thing. I heard, Emacs is even
> harder to learn. WTF???? Is there a decent text editor for Linux? (intentional
> polemic ;-))
>
> My questions:
>
> - Is there a chance I can do what I want with Puredyne or should I just give up
> and go back into the cozy arms of corporatism?
> - If the answer to the first question is yes, can someone give me some clues as
> to how to achieve it?
> - Is there a text editor that's actually usable with SC?
> - If yes, how????
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
> Axel
>
>
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.goto10.org/pipermail/puredyne/attachments/20110103/820f46e4/attachment-0001.htm>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 17:13:30 +0000
> From: Dan S <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [puredyne] Newbie questions
> To: puredyne <[hidden email]>
> Message-ID:
>        <AANLkTinNbYu9hAQ8FEoM6ssE7OhyOgBHZCRA-Hi_gp=[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Hi Axel (or John?) -
>
>
> 2011/1/3 John Schmitt <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> after years and years of music making on Windows and MacOS I'm ready to try
>> it on Linux, mainly because Apple is starting to annoy me as much as
>> Microsoft did before I switched.
>
> Yeah I know - I was on Apple for years, but I'm really getting to the
> point of being embarrassed to still have some Apple equipment.
>
>
>> Anyway, here's what I want to do:
>>
>> I'd like to use my laptop as a low latency live audio processing environment
>> (Supercollider, maybe in combination with Ardour which I haven't tried yet
>> but which looks nice for mixing)
>>
>> I'd like to control SC (and Ardour) through a midi/usb interface and
>> possibly over wifi using OSC.
>>
>> Here's what I got:
>>
>> - a Thinkpad T42.
>> - a Dawicontrol dw-1394 pcmcia firewire card with TI chipset (no info about
>> this stuff on the net).
>> - an Echo Audiofire 4 Audiocard with midi interface (described as fully
>> supported on the ffado list).
>> - an Akai LPD8 midi over usb interface
>> - an iPod touch
>> - a Wiimote
>>
>> I've downloaded the latest Puredyne live cd, connected and turned on my
>> Firewire interface and booted the T42. I started Jack which gave me an error
>> starting up.
>
> I don't know much about firewire interfaces I'm afraid since I don't
> have fw here - but check the archives, there's been some useful
> conversation about getting fw audio working nicely. e.g.
> http://lists.goto10.org/pipermail/puredyne/2010-April/003661.html
>
> But it's really worth saying what the error message *was* - someone
> might understand it and know what to suggest.
>
>> In the configuration page there was a pulldown device list with
>> some strange names. Then I opened SC vim and I didn't even manage to type
>> "{SinOsc.ar}.play"
>> It was pure frustration. I didn't understand a thing. I heard, Emacs is even
>> harder to learn. WTF???? Is there a decent text editor for Linux?
>> (intentional polemic ;-))
>
> Well both vim and emacs are genuinely very good, but neither of them
> is immediately obvious since they use keyboard commands that won't be
> familiar to people at first. For example, your vim issue was probably
> that you didn't know that you press 'i' to go into insert mode
> (allowing you to type text) and Escape to go out of insert mode. Vim
> and emacs are the choice of many power-users - you can take that to
> mean either that they're probably worth learning, or maybe they're
> just geeky enough to earn geek cred ;)
>
> If you want a text editor that's more like the msword-type mainstream,
> look at gedit. It's nice, and it also has a supercollider "mode", so
> it might be right up your street. Personally I use scvim so I don't
> know the exact details in gedit, but you do something like choose the
> supercollider plugin once you've started gedit. (In puredyne it should
> be installed already)
>
> HTH
> Dan
>
>
>> My questions:
>>
>> - Is there a chance I can do what I want with Puredyne or should I just give
>> up and go back into the cozy arms of corporatism?
>> - If the answer to the first question is yes, can someone give me some clues
>> as to how to achieve it?
>> - Is there a text editor that's actually usable with SC?
>> - If yes, how????
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance,
>> Axel
>>
>>
>> ---
>> [hidden email]
>> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>>
>
>
>
> --
> http://www.mcld.co.uk
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 10:24:06 -0700
> From: geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [puredyne] Newbie questions
> To: puredyne <[hidden email]>
> Message-ID:
>        <AANLkTine3_j8ZNGkMBLt2116=[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> you might be better of he cosy arms of corporation !
>
> vi is one of the most powerful editor ~ you better start leaning it
> now if you want to play in linux
> puredyne would work perfectly for what you want to do - you just need
> a ounce more of patience
> and some time aside for learning time.
>
> for sc - you have to make sure jack work
> for jack to work, you have to make sure alsa is not taking over your sound card
> (alsamixer is your friend there)
>
> It's also easier to get help in the different forum about different
> software - there are a lot of online help for
> jack and sc and vim ~
>
> I can help you get started if you are willing to give it a try ;)
>
>
>
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:36 AM, John Schmitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> after years and years of music making on Windows and MacOS I'm ready to try
>> it on Linux, mainly because Apple is starting to annoy me as much as
>> Microsoft did before I switched.
>>
>> Anyway, here's what I want to do:
>>
>> I'd like to use my laptop as a low latency live audio processing environment
>> (Supercollider, maybe in combination with Ardour which I haven't tried yet
>> but which looks nice for mixing)
>>
>> I'd like to control SC (and Ardour) through a midi/usb interface and
>> possibly over wifi using OSC.
>>
>> Here's what I got:
>>
>> - a Thinkpad T42.
>> - a Dawicontrol dw-1394 pcmcia firewire card with TI chipset (no info about
>> this stuff on the net).
>> - an Echo Audiofire 4 Audiocard with midi interface (described as fully
>> supported on the ffado list).
>> - an Akai LPD8 midi over usb interface
>> - an iPod touch
>> - a Wiimote
>>
>> I've downloaded the latest Puredyne live cd, connected and turned on my
>> Firewire interface and booted the T42. I started Jack which gave me an error
>> starting up. In the configuration page there was a pulldown device list with
>> some strange names. Then I opened SC vim and I didn't even manage to type
>> "{SinOsc.ar}.play"
>> It was pure frustration. I didn't understand a thing. I heard, Emacs is even
>> harder to learn. WTF???? Is there a decent text editor for Linux?
>> (intentional polemic ;-))
>>
>> My questions:
>>
>> - Is there a chance I can do what I want with Puredyne or should I just give
>> up and go back into the cozy arms of corporatism?
>> - If the answer to the first question is yes, can someone give me some clues
>> as to how to achieve it?
>> - Is there a text editor that's actually usable with SC?
>> - If yes, how????
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance,
>> Axel
>>
>>
>> ---
>> [hidden email]
>> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 09:35:22 -0800
> From: Tyler Leavitt <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [puredyne] Newbie questions
> To: puredyne <[hidden email]>
> Message-ID:
>        <AANLkTimbcUpuyGOgMny1jvNrDK_qRq=[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> I second what Dan S said about gedit.... just looked it up and the plugin is
> called "Sced" and it is installed on puredyne (9.11 atleast).
>
> That being said, I have to point out that you said you were "ready to try"
> on Linux. I understand the frustration, but if you are ready to give up
> after not being able to understand vim your first try, you won't last long
> =)
>
> What was the error message in JACK? Copy/paste the error from the window
> message... Did you have "firewire" selected as your driver?
>
> Also... reading this (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=740385)
> doesn't make your situation look very good. This was posted in June 2009 so
> it may be different now, but it looks like a hassle setting this card up in
> Linux. That being said post the Jack error and make sure "firewire" driver
> is selected.
>
> Tyler
>
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Dan S
> <[hidden email]<danstowell%[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Axel (or John?) -
>>
>>
>> 2011/1/3 John Schmitt <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi list,
>> >
>> > after years and years of music making on Windows and MacOS I'm ready to
>> try
>> > it on Linux, mainly because Apple is starting to annoy me as much as
>> > Microsoft did before I switched.
>>
>> Yeah I know - I was on Apple for years, but I'm really getting to the
>> point of being embarrassed to still have some Apple equipment.
>>
>>
>> > Anyway, here's what I want to do:
>> >
>> > I'd like to use my laptop as a low latency live audio processing
>> environment
>> > (Supercollider, maybe in combination with Ardour which I haven't tried
>> yet
>> > but which looks nice for mixing)
>> >
>> > I'd like to control SC (and Ardour) through a midi/usb interface and
>> > possibly over wifi using OSC.
>> >
>> > Here's what I got:
>> >
>> > - a Thinkpad T42.
>> > - a Dawicontrol dw-1394 pcmcia firewire card with TI chipset (no info
>> about
>> > this stuff on the net).
>> > - an Echo Audiofire 4 Audiocard with midi interface (described as fully
>> > supported on the ffado list).
>> > - an Akai LPD8 midi over usb interface
>> > - an iPod touch
>> > - a Wiimote
>> >
>> > I've downloaded the latest Puredyne live cd, connected and turned on my
>> > Firewire interface and booted the T42. I started Jack which gave me an
>> error
>> > starting up.
>>
>> I don't know much about firewire interfaces I'm afraid since I don't
>> have fw here - but check the archives, there's been some useful
>> conversation about getting fw audio working nicely. e.g.
>> http://lists.goto10.org/pipermail/puredyne/2010-April/003661.html
>>
>> But it's really worth saying what the error message *was* - someone
>> might understand it and know what to suggest.
>>
>> > In the configuration page there was a pulldown device list with
>> > some strange names. Then I opened SC vim and I didn't even manage to type
>> > "{SinOsc.ar}.play"
>> > It was pure frustration. I didn't understand a thing. I heard, Emacs is
>> even
>> > harder to learn. WTF???? Is there a decent text editor for Linux?
>> > (intentional polemic ;-))
>>
>> Well both vim and emacs are genuinely very good, but neither of them
>> is immediately obvious since they use keyboard commands that won't be
>> familiar to people at first. For example, your vim issue was probably
>> that you didn't know that you press 'i' to go into insert mode
>> (allowing you to type text) and Escape to go out of insert mode. Vim
>> and emacs are the choice of many power-users - you can take that to
>> mean either that they're probably worth learning, or maybe they're
>> just geeky enough to earn geek cred ;)
>>
>> If you want a text editor that's more like the msword-type mainstream,
>> look at gedit. It's nice, and it also has a supercollider "mode", so
>> it might be right up your street. Personally I use scvim so I don't
>> know the exact details in gedit, but you do something like choose the
>> supercollider plugin once you've started gedit. (In puredyne it should
>> be installed already)
>>
>> HTH
>> Dan
>>
>>
>> > My questions:
>> >
>> > - Is there a chance I can do what I want with Puredyne or should I just
>> give
>> > up and go back into the cozy arms of corporatism?
>> > - If the answer to the first question is yes, can someone give me some
>> clues
>> > as to how to achieve it?
>> > - Is there a text editor that's actually usable with SC?
>> > - If yes, how????
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot in advance,
>> > Axel
>> >
>> >
>> > ---
>> > [hidden email]
>> > http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>> > irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> http://www.mcld.co.uk
>> ---
>> [hidden email]
>> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.goto10.org/pipermail/puredyne/attachments/20110103/0f72ccd8/attachment.htm>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Puredyne mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.goto10.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/puredyne
>
> End of Puredyne Digest, Vol 68, Issue 1
> ***************************************
>



--
Keith Burnett
http://bodmas.org/
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne