Re: [puredyne] Booting on MAC

Dan S said :
> Hi -
>
> Yeah I have refit on my mac at work. But yr link is good: I didn't
> realise you could run refit directly from CD, so maybe it's a useful
> intermediary for passing control over to the USB - it will provide a
> nice graphical interface that directly offers to boot the USB if
> plugged in, I think?

You can already do that from the Puredyne liveCD/DVD
using the live-media=/dev/blabla kernel argument to boot with the CD and
point ot the USB key. Less user friendly but works fine and does not
require to install another thing.

I did manage to book on a mac with a Puredyne USB though, there was just
a problem with ext4 which I think is a live initramfs bug, I could not
test further because the only mac available was gabor's with this ext4
partitions for his fedo install.

I don;t have a mac to test further, but all my findings and a working
efi grub bootloader for booting Predyne on an intelmac are on the
lp bugtracker.

happy hacking :)

a.

> Dan
>

> 2010/4/19 andre wakko <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hey Dyners!
> > If someone is lookong for booting the usb on Mac
> > have a alternative, and also to boot installed linux and so one...
> > its a good boot camp
> >
> > http://refit.sourceforge.net/doc/c1s1_install.html
> >
> > I forgot where is the treat for it...
> >

> > --
> > :ö. .ö:
> >          www.andrewakko.com
> >

> --
> http://www.mcld.co.uk

Re: [puredyne] Booting on MAC

andre wakko said :
> if u have refit, u can press alt and enter in a boot just by the usb, no
> need of CD.
> If u install in the MAC sys.

Hi Andre,

are you sure, did you test with a Puredyne USB key?
I think we tried that on gabor's refit and the key was not found or
there was a problem of some sort...

a.

> :o)
>

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Aymeric Mansoux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dan S said :
> > > Hi -
> > >
> > > Yeah I have refit on my mac at work. But yr link is good: I didn't
> > > realise you could run refit directly from CD, so maybe it's a useful
> > > intermediary for passing control over to the USB - it will provide a
> > > nice graphical interface that directly offers to boot the USB if
> > > plugged in, I think?
> >
> > You can already do that from the Puredyne liveCD/DVD
> > using the live-media=/dev/blabla kernel argument to boot with the CD and
> > point ot the USB key. Less user friendly but works fine and does not
> > require to install another thing.
> >
> > I did manage to book on a mac with a Puredyne USB though, there was just
> > a problem with ext4 which I think is a live initramfs bug, I could not
> > test further because the only mac available was gabor's with this ext4
> > partitions for his fedo install.
> >
> > I don;t have a mac to test further, but all my findings and a working
> > efi grub bootloader for booting Predyne on an intelmac are on the
> > lp bugtracker.
> >
> > happy hacking :)
> >
> > a.
> >

> > > Dan

> > > --
> > > http://www.mcld.co.uk
> >

> --
> :ö. .ö:
>          www.andrewakko.com

gusano gusano

Re: [puredyne] Booting on MAC

hi
how did you do exactly to boot from usb ?
if I try to add to boot options (from liveCD):

live-media=/dev/sdb

I have persistence working on the usb stick *but* puredyne still runs
from the liveCD :/
(which is a no an option for the gig I have in 5 days)

cheers,
_y