Kernel 2.6.33-Tascam US-144-Unobtanium

makerprofaze makerprofaze

Kernel 2.6.33-Tascam US-144-Unobtanium

I have been cursed to have obtained a US-144, which is not officially supported by ALSA, though which there is new support within kernel 2.6.33. There are numerous tutorials explaining how one might get the US-144 and the similar US-122L to function in older kernels. Having installed the http://www.liquorix.net/ kernel, I don't know if I've like, 'officially' voided my PureDyne membership, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience in making this thing usable in linux/kernel 2.6.33, as it's sort of new and I've seen no direct instructions, so to speak. Excuse me if this is not the place, but I would kill to get this working specifically in Puredyne.

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Benutzer/BigMc/Tascam_US-144
http://wiki.briata.org/doku.php
http://www.premiumorange.com/la-page-web-of-phil/index.php?page=P030101#conseils_installation

Re: [puredyne] Kernel 2.6.33-Tascam US-144-Unobtanium

makerprofaze said :

> I have been cursed to have obtained a US-144, which is not officially
> supported by ALSA, though which there is new support within kernel 2.6.33.
> There are numerous tutorials explaining how one might get the US-144 and the
> similar US-122L to function in older kernels. Having installed the
> http://www.liquorix.net/ kernel, I don't know if I've like, 'officially'
> voided my PureDyne membership, but I was wondering if anyone has any
> experience in making this thing usable in linux/kernel 2.6.33, as it's sort
> of new and I've seen no direct instructions, so to speak. Excuse me if this
> is not the place, but I would kill to get this working specifically in
> Puredyne.
>
> http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Benutzer/BigMc/Tascam_US-144
> http://wiki.briata.org/doku.php
> http://www.premiumorange.com/la-page-web-of-phil/index.php?page=P030101#conseils_installation

You are free to use whatever kernel you think is best for you.
But that make it obviously more difficult for us to be able to help if
something goes wrong.

Reading this:
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Benutzer/BigMc/Tascam_US-144

 you have two options:

 1. you apply the patch yourself on the kernel
   sources (assuming you know how to do that and know how to compile
your own kernel the Debian/Ubuntu way).

 2. you just get the already patched kernel and install it in your
   Puredyne full install.
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.33.3-lucid/
or
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.34-rc3-karmic/

I suggest the second option, get one of the .deb that matches you
architecture and then manually install it with

dpkg --install blabla.deb

Good Luck!

a.

PS: This hardware support is very recent and next to the kernel it seems
you need to do extra things, read carefully all the doc, this night not
be very trivial.