Install puredyne and Mac Os X 10.4 on an iMac running Mac Os X 10.4

vincent verheyen vincent verheyen

Install puredyne and Mac Os X 10.4 on an iMac running Mac Os X 10.4

Hi all,

I am trying to install puredyne and Mac Os X 10.4 on an iMac. Right now my iMac (64-bit processor)
is running Mac Os X 10.4. I have no important files on my iMac that shouldn't be erased. Further more
I would like to reserve about 100 Gigabytes for puredyne and 180 Gigabytes for Mac Os X 10.4.
On the puredyne in-browser IRC client I have been told by a user named "a" the following:

(1)
- download and install rEFIT
- download puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-amd64.iso
- burn puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-amd64.iso (as image)
(2)
- on Os X start Boot Camp and split your HD in 2 partitions
- download rEFIT
- reboot machine with puredyne DVD in
- choose the "penguin" icon that will appear
(3)
- once you are in puredyne go to the start menu and choose: system, install puredyne
- follow the step by step installer except for partitioning
- choose manual partitioning
- delete the FAT32 partition created by Boot Camp
- add a new ext4 partition
- leave some free space for the swap partition (1GB is enough)
- choose "/" as mounting point
- proceed with the rest of the install (you need to be online - via wired, not WiFi)
(4)
- reboot
- when you boot you will have 2 icons, one for Os X and one (windows logo) for puredyne

The most important problem is:
I don't have bootcamp, so then how to partition, and partition in wich format?.
This is where I am stuck. The puredyne in-browser IRC client named "a" was extremely helpful and useful,
but he had to leave quickly and we both did not realise Apple's Boot Camp software is only running
under Mac Os X 10.5 or higher, whereas I am running Mac Os X 10.4 and thus I don't have Boot Camp.

So then, should I run Mac Os X from my Mac Os X installation disc and partition my hard disk from there?
Then again in what format should I partition? And will the statements under (2), (3) and (4) persist?

Thanks in advance,
Vincent Verheyen.
gusano gusano

Re: [puredyne] Install puredyne and Mac Os X 10.4 on an iMac running Mac Os X 10.4

On 06/06/10 17:48, vincent verheyen wrote:
> The most important problem is:
> I don't have bootcamp, so then how to partition, and partition in wich
> format?.

after having refit installed from osx, boot on pure:dyne cd/dvd.
you can partition your drive from there with gparted (apps/system or
type in a terminal: sudo gparted).
much better than any osx app IMO..

then:
- make a EXT3 (or EXT4) partition for pure:dyne system (with "/" as
mounting point)
- make a 1Gb partition for swap (depends on your RAM size)
- (optional) make another EXT3 (or EXT4) partition for your files (with
"/home" as mounting point). I do this to be able to keep all my
files/prefs in case I have to re-install my system

when you're done with setting up partitions, you have an "advanced"
button. go there and check that grub (default bootloader) will be
installed on your "/" puredyne partition (it is /dev/sda3 *in my case*)
and not on the HDD root (hd0).
I went into troubles because I installed grub on hd0 (puredyne wouldn't
boot).

finish the install, reboot.
go into refit tool at startup to re-synchronize your partitions.
boot into puredyne
enjoy =)

good luck!

_y

vincent verheyen vincent verheyen

Re: [puredyne] Install puredyne and Mac Os X 10.4 on an iMac running Mac Os X 10.4

Thanks for your reply gusano, it feels like I am getting somewhere.
Still, I have lots of questions as I am totally unfamiliar with puredyne
as well as with partitioning. So far, i managed to boot from the puredyne
dvd and was able to start up the program gparted as well.

I have still have questions about the following though:

gusano wrote
- make a EXT3 (or EXT4) partition for pure:dyne system (with "/" as
mounting point)
-> I have no idea how make the three partitions in gparted.
-> Can you hint me about the size the partitions should take?
-> Another question about the third, optional partition for files and preferences:
    will this be for my files on puredyne or for my files on Mac Os X as well?

For now I can't understand how to execute the rest of your suggestions either,
but maybe when I succeeded in partitioning, the rest will become clear.
I would really like to thank you again for your help, documentation about
this isn't available in abundance!

Thanks in advance,
Vincent Verheyen.