Quantcast

Black Screen on Boot

codekiln codekiln

Black Screen on Boot

Hey Puredyners -

I'm a long time Ubuntu user, but I've never booted up PureDyne. I just got a new HP G72 Notebook with a 64-bit Intel Pentium P6100 CPU and Intel HD graphics. I downloaded puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-amd64.iso [26-Mar-2010] and checked the md5 before attempting to boot. Boot gives me an option to load pure dyne. When I hit return it appears to load, but then the screen goes (and stays) blank. I burned two copies of the DVD at the slowest burn speed, and both do the same thing. What have I done wrong?

I noticed that a few weeks ago someone on the forum had a similar problem, and a user "Breen" suggested "I unpacked the iso image and renamed that files to "vmlinuz" and "initrd.img", made new "md5sum.txt", created new ISO and I can boot." Is this the solution? If so, would someone more familiar with the problem describe in greater detail how to manually change the ISO so I can burn a working copy?

Thanks!

PS - I haven't had a chance to install ubuntu on my new laptop yet ...
Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Re: [puredyne] Black Screen on Boot

Before you change the names and re-burn a CD, do it manually from GRUB first to verify that is the problem.

When you get to the point where you select which system to boot, press "e" (for edit) on the puredyne option and rename the file in there. If that is not enough explanation for you (depending on your familiarity with GRUB) I can give you more detailed instructions later... or maybe someone else will pick it up.

Tyler

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=50175 Intel Pentium P6100 CPU  and

http://puredyne.466513.n3.nabble.com/Puredyne-6th-Feb-CD-problems-booting-td2468776.html
had a similar problem , and a user "Breen" suggested "I unpacked the iso
image and renamed that files to "vmlinuz" and "initrd.img", made new
"md5sum.txt", created new ISO and I can boot." Is this the solution? If so,
would someone more familiar with the problem describe in greater detail how
to manually change the ISO so I can burn a working copy?

Thanks!

PS - I haven't had a chance to install ubuntu on my new laptop yet ...

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] Black Screen on Boot

At Mon, 4 Apr 2011 09:17:31 -0700 (PDT),
codekiln wrote:

> Hey Puredyners -
>
> I'm a long time Ubuntu user, but I've never booted up PureDyne. I just got a
> new HP G72 Notebook with a 64-bit
> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=50175 Intel Pentium P6100 CPU  and
> Intel HD graphics. I downloaded
> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-amd64.iso [26-Mar-2010] and checked
> the md5 before attempting to boot. Boot gives me an option to load pure
> dyne. When I hit return it appears to load, but then the screen goes (and
> stays) blank. I burned two copies of the DVD at the slowest burn speed, and
> both do the same thing. What have I done wrong?

IIRC Ubuntu 9 (the basis of puredyne 9.x) is not compatible with Intel HD graphics.

I ended up going to Ubuntu 10(.04) and installing the stuff I needed from packages (except SuperCollider, which I build myself).

hjh

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]